Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirits in Chinese Medicine; possession, death and dying

Spirits in Chinese Medicine; possession, death and dying

I am wondering what anyone know or has learned about Chinese medicine perspective on spirit, death and dying. I am remembering that the Hun is the Liver spirit, Po the Lung spirit.. which ascends is that correct? Also wondering about spirit possession and use of ghost points to extract spirits. Is anyone familiar with these kinds of techiques?

Not familiar with the ghost stuff...

But you might want to search on spirit, or "shen". Jing, qi, and shen are the 3 treasures, shen being and is part of mental capacity, consciousness, and "being".

While less pertinent, you may consider looking into "essence" or "jing", which is one of the 5 textures, or as some call them, substances. It is divided into prenatal and postnatal jing and might be something for you to look into...

Possession, Ghost points, etc

There is a protocol for what is known as spirit possession in acupuncture, which is called the Dragon Treatment.

In fact there are 2 such protocols:

7 Internal Dragons - which is primarily used for people suffering from dementia, drug, mental, emotional, sexual and psychological abuse. It is where the person spirit has been suppressed because of such traumatic events as listed.

7 External Dragons - are primarily used for people that have suffered from an external cause (such as violent confrontation, verbal abuse, torture, etc) that has scattered their qi with shock and allowed space for them to become 'possessed'.

I have actually used both these treatments with some very surprising results.

Had a patient with sucidial tendancies due to a trauma that was caused during surgery.... she kept on saying that "she wasn't herself anymore and that she couldn't see the point in living!" - which is very serious when the patient is telling you things like this.

I performed the Internal & External Dragons in one treatment - as soon as I finished needling the last point on the Internal dragons, the patients character completely changed - she became a lot more assertive, her voice changed and became stronger and on a whole more confident in herself to be able to deal with the situation she found herself in.

I still see her on a regular basis, but she certainly doesn't have the sucidial feelings anymore - she gave me a card thanking me for my help in giving her life back - where the Doctors at the hospital didn't really understand what to do with her.

They are very powerful treatment protocols, and generally only used when either one of the above categories comes into the equation and/or if for some reason that the treatment doesn't seem to be working.

The Dragons - are a way of clearing any and all blockages that the person may have that is preventing them from moving on, and living their life.
    Dave Stevens

Without divulging the actual points used, can you elaborate briefly on the priciples behind the treatments - i.e. fortifying shen, gathering qi, etc.... It seems the mental illnesses would be a manefestation of disrupted Yi and Shen, but then again, I'm just a first year student of TCM...

peace
    herb ox

Thank you.. yes I recall some exposure to the two 7 dragon's method. Can you please explain the theory behind the use of these points and the method? I am also wondering if you take safety precautions as do those who perform entity extractions by other means. So like where is the possessed spirit going after it is extracted by this method? Alberto Villodo's "Shaman healer sage" he shares extraction methods...similar for ppl like your suicidal case. Part of his technique involves manual stimulation of acupuncture points on the back of the skull. The enity or energy if pulled out manually then tranfered to a cystal. Thihs is Inca shamanic way. my teacher's method is safer in her opinion.. uses crystals to pull out energy/entities.

Are the ghost point part of the seven dragon protocol or different. remembering now also the spirit burrial ground points. Can you share please the protocol or a text with the protocol? Is this a 5e stlye method or did it survive into TCM?

Thinking also that an identifiable entity could be pulled also by cupping with a speific type of crystal inside to catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggoddess
    I am wondering what anyone know or has learned about Chinese medicine perspective on spirit, death and dying. I am remembering that the Hun is the Liver spirit, Po the Lung spirit.. which ascends is that correct? Also wondering about spirit possession and use of ghost points to extract spirits. Is anyone familiar with these kinds of techiques?
    don't try that again. i'm ready for you.

my quatl will shatter your crystals!

try not to confuse metaphors. there are analogs in tcma to the facilitators in a more modern cult that seems to dominate the state where you reside. in tcma they are gong li, or hopping hungry ghosts. in western magic and general animism they are malicious predatory spirits.

how do you get rid of them? how do you kill a soul?

in chinese folklore if you kill someone or even thier dreams/hopes/ aspirations you make the desire for that to be thiers more prominant. this can have a lasting affect on the person's soul and Karma such that if they make it to the after life they can become a problem for you as a hungry ghost. consider it karmic retribution or even karmic reversal.

as for folk remedies to predatory spirits in tcm: banging metal sets up a vibration that can chase the being from you (by giving it head ache!). also in tcfolklore metal when new can trap the spirit and even record the impressions of the spirit and/or it's thoughts. bronze gongs and metal mirrors were often common items at temples for exorcism. if your needle 'tinged' at some point it may have completed a change/exchange solidified a possession attempt or freed someone from a possession attempt. again, just folk lore.

there's really no telling what happens in a person's mind to suddenly force a dramatic change.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 09-21-2005 at 10:00 AM.

"as for folk remedies to predatory spirits in tcm: banging metal sets up a vibration that can chase the being from you (by giving it head ache!). also in tcfolklore metal when new can trap the spirit and even record the impressions of the spirit and/or it's thoughts. bronze gongs and metal mirrors were often common items at temples for exorcism. if your needle 'tinged' at some point it may have completed a change/exchange solidified a possession attempt or freed someone from a possession attempt. again, just folk lore."

Yes also rattles are used by shaman. Thank you for the info on the metal. That is interesting. This makes sense as to why acupuncture can be effective.

As to folk lore... most of TCM is considered folklore to Western minded peoples. This doesn't make it invalid.

As to killing a spirit.. I think not necessary. The idea is to release the spirit from it's parasitic energetic relationship with the human. They can be released back into elements.. earth, water, fire to air.

contemporary uses of acu for possession

Vikinggoddess,

A bulletin came across my desk the other day - Jeffrey C. Yuen will be teaching a 2 day seminar in San Fransisco Jan 7-8, 2006 on the "Contemporary uses of acupuncture for possession". Apparently he has an extensive Daoist background. If you can't make the seminar, maybe you can track him down online!

good luck,
    herb ox

Thanks for the info.

Ignore YuenZDZ, the troll,
    His transformer set broke.

hmmm

Pakmei knows his stuff, we have both been trained in pretty much the same styles of TCM, but at different colleges.

The 7 internal and external dragons treatment does not follow normal treatment principles in terms of tonifying shen or balancing the hun etc. It is a standard stand alone treatment for heavy conditions, and is normally just refered to as treatments for posession.
    One set is done on the front of the body and the other 7 on the back of the body depending whether its internal or external dragons you're doing.

The realse of the dragons traditionally was meant to ultimate devour the malign spirits habitating in the body.
    Of course nowadays they term the treatment for obsessive/posessive complaints ranging from long term drug absuse, to s3xual abuse, and mind controlling abuse such as heavy occult practice etc.
    Outside of that naturally one can use general spirit points to unblock the shen, balance the hun etc.

The hun is a usual one for say heavy drug use as it helps to re-align the hun (or astral body) which when out alingment one gets subtle energy absorption which can result in in extreme vivd dreams, hearing voices, seeing things, halucinations etc which nowadays gets classified under mental illness.

The Po is considered by some to be responsible for what are claimed to be ghosts that haunt places, it is part of the spirit that is nostalgic, its the spirit of the lungs, and as the Lungs are part of the Metal elemnt its easy to understand under 5 element theory why being "stuck in the past" , "clinging on to the past" "not being able to move on" etc applies to the lung spirit.
    The Shen is what ascends and passes over as it were as it is the most essential part of the spirit. Lonnie Jarret's "Nourishing destiny" is an excellent book to get a greater depth about Chinese thought on the spirits and their associated organs from a TCM perpsective.

Literautre on 7 dragons methodology and practice is extremely rare to find.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Thanks for the info.
    Yes I have Jarret's book.
    Good stuff.
    If anyone can refer me to a text with info on 7 Dragon's treatment method and origin, I appreciate that.

Possession

Lonny Jarrett does have another book called something like "Chinese Medicine in Practice".

It's a very heavy, thick red book which details the possession treatment in quite some detail and giving some case histories using this unique protocol.
    Dave Stevens

http://www.yinyanghouse.com/chineset...tml#treatment1

¤ Symptoms:

A patient who has internal a/or external dragons may be experiencing a lack of control over aspects of their body, mind or spirit. From a practitioners perspective, this is usually experienced as an inability to communicate directly with the patient, even feeling uncomfortable around the patient. If you cannot look directly into their eyes and speak with them, if you feel you are not getting honest responses to your questions, if you feel they are not quite connected with themselves - these may indicate this particular block.

This may show up, but not necessarily so, in patients with histories of drug and/or alcohol abuse, in patients who indicate that they feel "out of control," or in patients where other treatments have proven unsuccessful.

External Dragons are specifically noted when a patient has the above symptoms and has experienced extreme weather or climates or an external trauma such as an accident or trauma prior to experiencing these symptoms.

¤ Treatment Points

External Dragons Internal Dragons
    GV 20 1/4" below CV 15
    UB 11 ST 25
    UB 23 ST 32
    UB 61 ST 41

¤ Treatment Protocol:

You usually begin with the ID treatment unless it is not called for. All needles should be interested from right to left, top to bottom with perpendicular insertions. After the insertion they should be dispersed in the order they were inserted. What you are looking for is a noticeable change in the patient, in their colour, sound, odour, emotion and shen. Once you see the change you are looking for, the needles should be removed. If there is no change after 15 minutes, you should tonify the needles from left to right and top to bottom removing them as you go and continue the treatment with the ED points.
    Last edited by vikinggoddess; 10-05-2005 at 05:35 AM.

Post Spirits in Chinese Medicine, Spirits in Chinese Medicine; possession, death and dying

It is good to see that Chinese Medicine is out there to heal and to cure.
    One question I have is: does shen have the same translation as sheng?