Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shaolin Temple

r.(shaolin) Guest
    Gene Ching wrote:
    >Since we are discussing India & Buddhism, think of Ashoka.<

Ashoka conquering Kalinga after a very bloody war in which a 100,000 were killed, 150,000 injured and thousands more were captured and enslaved. .
    . . . . Redemption does not come easily : - (

I'm leaving for the mountains to meditate.to

[This message was edited by r.(shaolin) on 11-09-01 at 08:12 PM.]

South Paw Guest
    E.B. Vermeer, Development and decline of Fukien Province in the 17th and 18th Centuries, Sinica Leidensia, Vol. XXII, Leiden/New York 1990

This book is good reading for those who are interested in the situation of the temples in Fukien during this time. There is also some about the resistance movement against the Qing.

South Paw

Yum Cha Guest

Religion and History

R (shaolin)
    Thanks for the clue on the Hung Moon. That meets most closely with the story of my Sifu, concerning the genesis of the Pak Mei legend. The quality of the discussion is well beyond this, but thanks for the tidbit. A thread to unravel...

South Paw, thanks for the citation. Looks interesting.

GeneChing Guest

India, subterfuge, and Tara

yf: I'll look forward to that FAX - no hurry - just make sure it's to my attention or it might not get to my desk.
    That Indian Loyang astronomy connect is great. I'll have to explore that a little further. Where they involved with Gaocheng observatory in Dengfeng?
    There's a huge Indian community here in Fremont, near the office. I keep seeing posters for a pop movie on Ashoka. Do you know if it's any good (I'm interested in entertainment value as much as schoalrly content.)
    And yes I knew the Prajnatara connect, although we hadn't thought about it in choosing her name - we picked Tara because it was the Irish Hill of Kings as much as for the Buddhist deity.

r(s): Sorry, I completely misread you about subterfuge. Given that point, my post was irrelevant.
    As for Ashoka, few political leaders escape history with no blood on their hands. My comment was more specific to Buddhist culture than redemption.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Shaolin Temple

Shaolin Temple is probably the most famous temple in China, not only because of its long history and its role in Chinese Buddhism, but also because of its martial arts or Wushu Chan. Shaolin Temple is situated in the beautiful Songshan Mountains, which is only eight miles of Dengfeng and about 50 miles southwest of Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan Province.
    Shaolin Temple was established in 495 during the Northern Wei Dynasty (386-534). Batuo, an Indian monk, came to Luoyang, the ancient capital, for spreading Buddhism at that period. Emperor Xiaowen was a believer of Buddhism so he decided to build the temple in the Songshan Mountains to house Batuo, who translated many Buddhist works and had a few hundred followers there.

Damo (Bodhidharma), the legendary Indian monk, came to Shaolin in 517, who was the creator of Chinese Zen. There are many legendary stories about him. One of the well-known stories says he was meditating in a cave for nine years. The cave is now called Damo Cave. Many people believe he wrote the famous 'Yijinjing,' the base of Shaolin martial arts or Kung fu. But there is no record about the book before and during the Tang Dynasty (618-907) so experts think Damo has little to do with Shaolin Kung fu. Zongheng, a Taoist priest of Tiantai Mountain, wrote 'Yijinjing' in 1624, but to add mystery to it, he made up a story saying 'Yijinjing' was originally written by Damo.

Shaolin does have a long tradition of Chinese martial arts, as the saying goes 'All martial arts (Kung fu) are from Shaolin.' This is partly because Shaolin was located in a strategic area so they had to protect the temple themselves from wars or any invading, and partly because of the support of most emperors from different dynasties, which came after the 13 Shaolin monks once saved Li Shimin, the emperor of the Tang Dynasty (618-907). Since then Shaolin was allowed to have solider-monks. During the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Shaolin housed over 1,000 solder-monks at its peak and they were often used by the government to combat rebellions and Japanese bandits. But martial arts were forbidden during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). Even with the protection of solder-monks, Shaolin was severely damaged by fire a few times. The largest fire set by the army of Shi Yousan in 1928 destroyed most of the buildings of Shaolin Temple.

There are many noted relics at Shaolin. There are over 300 ancient stone inscriptions, some of them by famous calligraphers. The large mural of 500 arhats in the Qianfo Hall was from the Ming Dynasty. There are 232 pagodas from different dynasties, known as the forest of pagodas. The oldest one was from the Tang Dynasty. The pagodas are the tombs of the celebrated Shaolin monks. The Shaolin martial arts are an important part of the relics.

Shaolin Temple

A surprising find at my parents house. I forgot I had done a Shaolin Temple Signboard while I was a student of Shi guo Lin back in 1998. A bit dusty and banged up being in the garage for almost 14 years

Shaolin reopened

Kung fu shrine Shaolin Temple reopens to public
    Xinhua
    20:15 UTC+8, 2020-06-22

China's kung fu shrine Shaolin Temple reopened to the public on Monday, ending a months-long closure amid the COVID-19 epidemic.

The 1,500-year-old temple, in central China's Henan Province, opened its gates at 9 a.m., ushering in its first tourists in five months.

The temple declared it had enhanced epidemic control measures, including thorough disinfection of the temple and nucleic acid testing among its monks.

The Shaolin Temple, like many other scenic spots and cultural sites in China, closed in late January as the country moved to curb the COVID-19 outbreak.

Source: Xinhua Editor: Zhang Long
    THREADS
    Shaolin-Temple
    covid
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Follow the embedded link for a vid.

Newsflare
    Shaolin monks disinfect stage and audience area to prepare for performance
    Duration: 01:10 17/06/2020
    Shaolin monks disinfected the stage and the audience area to prepare for the Shaolin Zen Music Ritual outdoor performance in central China's Dengfeng city on June 13. In the video, monks carry pressure sprayers to disinfect the audience area, the stage and the building's roof. According to reports, the Shaolin Zen Music Ritual reopened recently after months' coronavirus lockdown. Only one-third of the seats are available to visitors and social distance are requested.
    THREADS
    Shaolin-Temple
    covid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

reclosed

Culture China 19:43, 13-Jan-2021
    Kung fu shrine Shaolin Temple and other temples close again amid COVID-19
    CGTN

China's kung fu shrine Shaolin Temple at Songshan Mountain in central China's Henan Province has again closed its door since Wednesday amid COVID-19 concerns as its neighboring province Hebei is facing a new wave of infections and has reported more than 300 new cases since January 2.

The management committee of the Songshan Scenic Area, where the temple is located, announced on Tuesday that public visits to Shaolin Temple and other religious places in the area would be suspended from January 13 until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic.

According to the announcement, other scenic spots in the area, including Songyang Academy, Luya Waterfall and Songyue Pagoda, are still open with stern epidemic control measures in place.

Visitors are required to wear masks, scan the "health code" and get their body temperature checked before entering the scenic area.

White Horse Temple in Luoyang, Henan Province, China. /CFP

Other famous ancient temples in Henan, such as the White Horse Temple in Luoyang City and Daxiangguo Temple in Kaifeng, also followed suits to close their doors suspending public religious activities from Wednesday to prevent mass gatherings and cross infections.

The move came as multiple cities in China have reported new COVID-19 cases related to public gatherings over the past weeks.

The world-famous Shaolin Temple, like many other scenic spots and cultural sites in China, closed in late January 2020 to curb the spread of COVID-19. The 1,500-year-old temple then reopened to the public last June after the five-month closure.

(Cover: Shaolin Temple is located at Songshan Mountain in central China's Henan Province. /CFP)
    THREADS
    Shaolin-Temple
    covid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Live: Kung fu stunts at Shaolin Temple in central China, a feast for your eyes

I have not watched all of this. If anyone does, let us know the timecodes for the interesting bits.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips