Thread: Martial Arts on TV, a Definitive List

Martial Arts on TV, a Definitive List

After reading Gene Ching's article on a fledgling martial arts channel, I wondered if anyone would help develop a sticky (at the top of this section?) containing a helpful links to find martial arts stuff on tv. I'm also a soccer fan from wayback and live and die by www.soccertv.com. Just wondered if there is anything similar for martial arts programming. My favorite are specials or documenaries that showcase tma, it would be nice if there were an easier way to know when and where this type of programming is shown.

Here are some links I've found:

Black Belt TV

The Martial Arts Action Network

The Martial Arts Channel

Verizon's new FiOS service will include five channels with programs on military, martial arts and yoga

Martial-Arts Films Current Month TV Schedule

Which article?

Was that the one in Jul/Aug 05? We published an earlier one in Sep/Oct 04. There was an even earlier one for Martial Arts Television, another attempt at a MA network, but I can't remember when that was published exactly.

Stickies are undemocratic.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

satellite martial arts tv

Anyone here watch Pulse?
    Pulse introduces martial arts blocks
    Tuesday, July 8 2008, 09:18 BST
    By Dave West, Media Correspondent

Gaming channel Pulse is introducing blocks of martial arts programming to its schedules.

The service, which already airs male entertainment content under "branded blocks" named MavTV, will broadcast Martial Arts TV from 5pm to 6pm and 11pm to midnight.

Content, provided by the existing web channel with the same name, will include features on Thai kick boxing, interviews with martial arts stars, hints and tips and international martial arts news.

The broadcasters said the move could potentially lead to a full-time satellite version of Martial Arts TV.

Pulse channel manager Ray Mia said: "Martial Arts TV will bring a new element to the growing mix of Pulse brands. The combination of profiling sporting pros and offering advice for beginners should ensure we reach martial arts devotees and general gaming fans alike."

Pulse broadcasts on digital satellite and is listed at 208 on the Sky electronic programme guide.
    Martial Arts TV to kick off on Pulse

UK satellite gaming channel Pulse is to launch a series of programmes focusing on all aspects of martial arts.

Pulse, which also carries cross-platform gaming platform XLeague.TV, Cultra films and male-skewed MAV TV, is set to launch Martial Arts TV as the latest addition to its collection of branded programming blocks, with a view to potentially extending Martial Arts TV into a standalone channel.

Martial Arts TV, set to debut in the 17.00-18.00 and 23.00-0.00 slots on Sky, will begin with a series of programmes focused on Thai kick boxing and will phase in live interviews with martial art stars.

It will also include tips and hints, show classic movies and give updates from the sport's global community.

The shows will be targeted at both male and female viewers, martial arts associations, clubs and bodies, and the online community.

Ray Mia, channel head at Pulse, said: "Martial Arts TV will bring a new element to the growing mix of Pulse brands. The combination of profiling sporting pros and offering advice for beginners should ensure we reach martial arts devotees and general gaming fans alike."

Nick Payne, chairman of Martial Arts TV, said: "Our relationship with Pulse is an ideal way for us to expand our broadcast reach in the UK on the Sky platform and helps us connect with Pulse's video game community."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Speaking of which, any one know of the scehdule in the Olympics for the various Martial Sports ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Good question

You can get your local schedule off NBC's official site. I'd be amazed if there's a lot of martial arts coverage. It's usually pretty minimal for America. Usually I try to watch the Euro events because the American coverage often omits the sports that really interest me. But this year, I'm probably going to tune into the Chinese stations for better coverage.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You can get your local schedule off NBC's official site. I'd be amazed if there's a lot of martial arts coverage. It's usually pretty minimal for America. Usually I try to watch the Euro events because the American coverage often omits the sports that really interest me. But this year, I'm probably going to tune into the Chinese stations for better coverage.
    Grazie Herr General.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Voom networks which is part of the cablevision lineup has a "Kung Fu Channel" but the content is really crap. They play the same crappy movies over and over with hardly any change in the line up.

This is bad news

Rainbow Pulls Plug On Voom HD Service
    Shutting Down Suite of 15 Networks
    By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 12/18/2008 4:16:00 PM

Rainbow Media Holdings, blaming a loss of carriage on Dish Network and the expected lengthy litigation stemming from that drop, is shutting down the domestic operations of its beleaguered Voom HD, its suite of 15 HD networks.

Dish Network had been the largest distributor of the Voom HD services, but it dropped them in May in a contract dispute with Rainbow. That left Voom HD with only one U.S. distributor, Rainbow parent Cablevision Systems Corp., which will replace the HD services, reportedly in late January when they go off.

Rainbow filed suit against Dish Network, seeking $1 billion for what it claimed was Dish’s violation of a 15-year carriage deal, and the tangled case remains in court.

In a memo to employees Thursday, Rainbow president and CEO Joshua Sapan blamed the suit and the scenario with Dish Network for leading to the demise of Voom HD domestically. The Voom HD operation, which includes two networks, will keep its international business running where it reaches 32 million subscribers in 36 countries.

“As you may have heard, Rainbow has made the difficult and painful decision to shut down the domestic operations of Voom, which regrettably will result in layoffs,” Sapan said in the memo. “Voom's domestic business was made possible through an affiliation agreement between Rainbow and EchoStar, which was established in 2005.”

“Unfortunately, earlier this year, a significant legal dispute arose with EchoStar (now known as Dish Network),” he added. “While that lawsuit is progressing, the expectation is that it will be at least a year before any sort of resolution is reached. Therefore, we have been evaluating different strategies and plans for Voom's domestic business.”

Said Sapan, “Unfortunately, as we analyzed the opportunities and challenges in the current environment and the lawsuit, it became clear that we can no longer operate Voom domestically, particularly without EchoStar fulfilling its obligations and providing its support. Some Voom staff will remain at Rainbow to manage the operation of Voom internationally, using our expertise in content development and the depth of our HD programming library to seek new distribution opportunities around the world.”

A Rainbow spokesperson confirmed that Voom’s domestic operation was being closed, but declined to comment further, or discuss how many employees will lose their jobs. But those staffers reportedly won’t have to leave for 60 days.

Cablevision will replace the 15 Voom networks with other HD channels, with that transition most likely coming in late January.

“We will replace these channels with other quality HD programming and there will be no reduction in the number of high-definition channels available to our iO TV customers,” a Cablevision spokesman said. “We currently offer 68 HD channels without any additional equipment or programming fees, unlike our competitors, and expect our HD lineup to continue to expand in the coming months.”

Earler this week, Scripps Networks announced that it had hired Voom HD general manager Greg Moyer as president of Scripps Networks International.

Glenn Oakley, senior vice president of business development at Voom, will take over the international operations for the HD service.
    Never mind Ronin22's opinion of VOOM (I never watched it so I have no opinion), it's the fallout that's bad. The closure of BCI is hard on our genre.

Cablevision pulls plug on Kung Fu HD
    By Mark Pollard • December 19, 2008

Another blow has been struck to the distribution of martial arts movies here in the U.S. this week following news of Navarre’s closure of its BCI Eclipse home video subsidiary. Rainbow Media Holdings, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corp., is pulling the plug on domestic operation of Voom HD, a collection of 15 high-definition TV networks, one of which includes Kung Fu HD.

The action comes in response to narrowing carriage, particularly following Dish Network’s decision to drop Voom back in May. That led to a $1 billion suit by Rainbow charging a breach of contract. It also left the networks’ with only one carrier, Cablevision, which now intends to replace all of the Voom HD content with other programming in January.

Kung Fu HD is the only dedicated martial arts movie network on television in the U.S. A quick look at today’s scheduled line-up reveals what current and potential future audiences will be missing in 2009. Movies airing today include chambara classics like ZATOICHI ON THE ROAD and SAMAURI GOLD SEEKERS, Shaw Brothers classics like BOXER FROM SHANTUNG and modern actioners such as 2000 A.D. and BICHUNMOO.

Not being a satellite or premium HD TV subscriber, I have never had the pleasure of watching Kung Fu HD but I know of others who have enjoyed this service. It provided fans with a dedicated, high quality alternative to buying or renting DVDs. It also provided licensed distributors with another distribution channel to support the continued release of martial arts movies. With the closure of BCI and the scaling back or selling off of classic genre films by The Weinstein Company, companies like Toei, Golden Harvest and Celestial Pictures are going to have an even harder job of getting their massive libraries of martial arts and action films released here in the U.S.

The question this raises is, what are fans to do when the movies they want to see gradually stop being shown and sold through legitimate channels? Anyone who remembers the ’80s, when grindhouse theaters began closing, cable networks dropped their Blackbelt Theater line ups and VHS distributors folded, they already know the answer to that question.
    P.S. I don't mean to belittle Ronin22's post at all. Quite the opposite. That's for that post back in July, Ronin22!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips