Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help for what martial art to do next.

Need help for what martial art to do next.

I am currently a black sash in William Chuengs style of Wing Chun kung fu but I am going into the army in 6 months and will be posted at one barracks for just over 1 year about 13 months and will have to quit Wing Chun and I want to start another martial art. I have surveyed the area I am moving to and found some potential martial arts I can do

1. Buck Sing Choy Lay Fut http://members-central.optushome.com...anstreets/clf/
    2. 5 Animals Style Shaolin Kung Fu (Looks slightly dodgey, the teacher is a rather fat *******) http://www.shaolin.com.au/
    3. Hok Se Tong Long (some mix between crane snake and mantis. apparently a southern internal style) http://www.auskungfu.com/
    4. MMA (Place that does Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Jujitsu, Judo) http://www.hangar4.com.au

From what I can tell for sure the Choy lay fut school has proper lineage and im really interested in that, except I know ill be moving in 13 months so im only gonna get a years worth of training in it, what one do you's think would be worth doing for a year. I know in a year ill pick up ALOT in MMA in a year.
    Maybe someone can tell me how dodgey lineage is that 5 Animal shaolin school is also. same goes for the Hok se Tong long place who I have seen fight at a tournament I went to with my current school which they did full contact with us so they seem to train well at least dunno about linage.
    -Slade-

Go Buk Sing... good stuff & doesn't take forever to learn good skills!

Besides think of the fights you can have with yourself between WC & CLF!!!!
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

4 but I am biased

How much would I learn in one year of Buk Sing? I am a 5 days a week man and like 16 hours a week man ATM when it comes to training.
    -Slade-

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    http://www.shaolin.com.au/curricu.htm

multiple use of the word 'secret' pretty much says it all.

you've already answered your own question. If you are probably going to return to wing chun after your military stint then everything you will learn in the MMA school will just benefit you in any other style you do.

besides, I saw a grille and a deck on the front of the bjj school...if that doesn't say 'beer and burgers' after a hard work out then I don't know what does.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

hangar 4

With only 16 months to train, I'd say go to Hangar 4. You'll be able to cram alot of good-practical stuff in that amount of time with the MMA that will stick with you for the rest of your life. What you'll find is that the techniques of BJJ, Thai Boxing, and Krav will fit into the philosophies and concepts that you've already learned in WC. It'll only make your kung fu that much better when you get out.

If you go to a MMA gym, remember this mantra, "The more you sweat, the less you'll bleed".

There is no decision to make.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Wow...

Seriously...

I have a major-huge-extremely-major problem with people calling themselves Sijo. Don't even humor those "shaolin" arse clowns by checking out their "school".

3 might have some things in common with wingchun.

4 again good wholesome practical training. Come back and take down and submit your fellow wingchunners!

1. First choice if you want to expand on CMA principles.
    2. Good place for dating and challenges.
    3. Too commercial.
    4. Good choice for a beginner.

I'd go with the choy lay fut. You can learn a fare amount in limited time and it's cool
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

1 or 4.

1 if you wanna train some clf.

4 if you wanna mix it up on the mat.

those would be my choices if put to it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Im thinking I might just try 1 and 4 see what I think of each then pick the one I like best.
    -Slade-

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    that's what matters most.

the mma gym looked pretty sweet. let us know how it is.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Wont know for 3 months, thats when im moving to base then Ill go visit it
    -Slade-