Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fu-Pow's world premiere.....

Blog Entries

Fu-Pow's world premiere.....

Here ya go folks...as promised in an earlier thread...a video of myself doing a form.

http://media.putfile.com/Ba-Gua-Saam87

BTW, you need Window Media Version 8.0 or higher to view it.

I like watching others do forms within our own lineage. Each teacher does things differently but for the most part its the same as the one I do.

At what sort of level do you learn this set?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

What form is that?

Baat Gwa Sum Kuen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash
    At what sort of level do you learn this set?
    Its an instructor level form , basically because it has a more complex combination of hand and foot work.

You might notice that I tend to do things in a very relaxed fashion. I think that is a combination of my personality and also my Chen Taiji study. However, if you watch the video in slow mo you will see that there is quite a bit of power in each move. Its just relaxed power vs. the power where you see the muscles tense up.

On this day I was doing things particularily slowly, especially at the beginning trying to emphasize each move. The stage that we were on tended to wobble around a lot which made it hard to emphasize a low stance.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNOle
    I like watching others do forms within our own lineage. Each teacher does things differently but for the most part its the same as the one I do.
    I do too. Sifu Mak has a very distinct style, very relaxed upper body but the footwork is very solid, almost like in Hung Gar but not as low.

Just about all of Lee Koon Hung's students have the relaxed upper body movements with the exception maybe of one group I can think of. The main differences come with stances and the flow and feel of the sets. That is generally where the differences are seen.

Fu-Pow: Kudos for manning up and putting a form out there for public consumption. You have my respects.

How long have you been doing this form?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Pretty fluid for a big boy.

Props to Fu-Pow!

Pretty fluid for a big boy.

Props to Fu-Pow!
    My sihing's flexibility does scare all of us at the Kwoon.

He must be one some sort of drugs. . . . . . . . .

Just about all of Lee Koon Hung's students have the relaxed upper body movements with the exception maybe of one group I can think of. The main differences come with stances and the flow and feel of the sets. That is generally where the differences are seen.
    So what would be the difference between say, Sifu Mak and Sifu Li Siu Hung?

Or the Irish folks and us? I'm betting the differences are very subtle, but that's bound to happen as personalities and preferences affect how we do our sets.

There's a LKH branch school in Ireland?

Nice job. Man that's a long set.

Very loose and fluid.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Ben, I'm trying to think how long I've known that set....hmmm...must be like around 1 year to 1 1/2 years.

Its a very challenging form, a little shorter than our Saap Ji Kau Dah but some of the movements are more difficult than what you see in Saap Ji.

I've often wondered what the purpose of this form is (ie what its trying to teach). It feels very "long" ie you cover a lot of ground. I wonder if it is to teach you how to close the gap on a battle field and the jumps are to teach to evade attacks coming from many directions (as they would on a battle field).

As to the Baat Gwa aspect I guess if you think about it you move on the regular cross pattern but you also execute moves out from the "corners" of that cross pattern.

If you drew a line out from the center to everywhere you are during this form it would make 6 lines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9
    Sam Lee's school.

http://www.choylayfut-ireland.com/mainindex.html

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9

yup, there's some of us in Ireland aswell at:

www.choylayfut-ireland.com

no videos though, but lots of photos.

would love to have one from every school/branch do the same form next to each other and compare the differences or similarities... should be interesting!!

Haven't had the chance to see Fu-Pow's video yet, but looking forward to it, as I'm just learning this form and forgotten half of it already since last night ;-)

Galadriel