Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fu-Pow's world premiere.....

Fu-Pow,

If you wouldn't mind....how long have you been training in CLF, CMA?

Just curious..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    fu-pow

I respect the fact that you put up a clip. I also respect the way you respond without getting defensive. So allow me to critique.

I do want to say I also didn't see any evidance of whole body connection in your movements. Your arms are moving independantly from your legs the whole time.
    Thanks for your honest criticism. As to the whole body connection, I'm not sure if its something that can be "seen" and specifically in an art like Choy Lay Fut its not as developed as it is in an art like Taiji or Baji for that matter. But, I'm not going to make excuses its just that I feel it, even if you can't see it. Also, I don't always feel it in every move and I think that "feeling" is what we're all moving toward.

Also I agree you should put animalistic intent in your form or what is the point. The whole point is to remember your moves under combat pressure. Remembering it when your doing the form should be easy and natural.

I find if you memorize doing the form slow and deliberate it will never improve.

My old teacher would show one move a class. Only when I had mastered the prior movement with intent would he show me the next one. Everything we all do in kungfu should be done with feirce intent. If someone was standing there could they take the shot with no problem? If so somethings wrong.

Keep the clips coming and I look forward to your response. I will put up the Baji form I have been working on very soon. Next time we tape in class hopefully.

Anthony
    When I practice I usually do the form twice. Once, slow and deliberately and once fast at "fighting speed." The pace of the form is probably somewhere in between. I starting more slowly at the beginning because as I stated, this is a "problem" form for me and one of THE, if not THE most advanced form that I know. So you don't see a lot of "outward" intent. My intent is inward, trying to remember the form!!!

Also, if you knew my personality you would see that I'm not a real outwardly expressive guy. So you don't usually see a lot of expression when I perform. Something my Sifu, the consumate performer, is always after me about.

I take your criticisms seriously and I will definitely think seriously about your comments and some of the other, more constructive comments posted here.

Also, I hope to post a video of my Sifu here so you can see how its really supposed to be done!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    Fu-Pow,

If you wouldn't mind....how long have you been training in CLF, CMA?

Just curious..
    Next March it will be 10 years since I started Kung Fu. I started at a Hung Gar/CLF mixed school for one year. Then straight CLF for 9 years. About 7-8 years ago I started Hun Yuan Xin Yi Chen Shi Taiji Quan with a student of Feng Zhiquiang. But mostly I work on my CLF. Before that I did a little Tae Kwon Do, Aikido and Karate.

Wow that is a lot of training. lol

Keep up the hard work. I know your not expressive but just go hard and don't worry about what anyone thinks.

I look forward to your Sifu clips.
    I also look forward to any critques you might have of my own clip when I finally get around to posting it.

Thanks
    Anthony

Blog Entries
    Thanks for keeping it positive...my ego thanks you.

Fu-Pow, who is your Sifu?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    Fu-Pow, who is your Sifu?
    Mak Hin Fai

Fu-Pow:

I am sure this isn't something you already don't know but in say 5 years when you look back on this clip you'll be thinking, "wow I have come along way". What I mean, with any form (especially the more advanced ones) it takes a number of years to really feel and understand it.

For example, I learned hok ying kuen around 1997 and used to perform it often. I looked at like a year or so ago and said to myself "what was I thinking". Yeah it was fast and the stances were pretty good but it didn't have the feel required for the set. After practicing the form for 8 years many little things became apparent and the form has new meaning to me now.

This is what kung fu is all about. Don't let anyone get you down. We all need to keep working hard so that our art can continue on.

Props for putting up the clip to begin with.

Lance
    Last edited by CLFNole; 09-27-2005 at 08:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    fu pow, i have a clip on dvd when he was in singapore performing on stage.

if you pm me how and where to post a clip maybe i could put it up.

i also have a good clip of poon sing and his powerful ass hands, at his old ass age.

on this dvd is chui kwang yuen, dave lacey and his students, lee siu hung, mak kin fai, fut san hsk, leo chu, and a few other well known sifu's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    Fu-Pow:

I am sure this isn't something you already don't know but in say 5 years when you look back on this clip you'll be thinking, "wow I have come along way". What I mean, with any form (especially the more advanced ones) it takes a number of learns to really feel and understand it.

For example, I learned hok ying kuen around 1997 and used to perform it often. I looked at like a year or so ago and said to myself "what was I thinking". Yeah it was fast and the stances were pretty good but it didn't have the feel required for the set. After practicing the form for 8 years many little things became apparent and the form has new meaning to me now.

This is what kung fu is all about. Don't let anyone get you down. We all need to keep working hard so that our art can continue on.

Props for putting up the clip to begin with.

Lance

That's kind of where I'm at with this form. I'm not sure that I quite "get it." I mean I can execute the moves correctly and in the right sequence but what is this form all about? What is its purpose in the grand scheme of Choy Lay Fut? I think that part of it is that it is training you to do a lot of the techniques that you learned in earlier sets on the opposite side, with the other hand. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    fu pow, i have a clip on dvd when he was in singapore performing on stage.

if you pm me how and where to post a clip maybe i could put it up.

i also have a good clip of poon sing and his powerful ass hands, at his old ass age.

on this dvd is chui kwang yuen, dave lacey and his students, lee siu hung, mak kin fai, fut san hsk, leo chu, and a few other well known sifu's.
    Frank, I've seen that tape before. It would be a good thing to post because you can see the variety of Choy Lay Fut. Basically, you need to convert the DVD which is in MPEG-2 compressed format into a streaming file like Quicktime or Windows Media. Also, you wouldn't want to do the whole thing because if I recall its many hours long. If you're not sure how to do it, if you can burn me a copy of the DVD I could do it at home, edit it down and post it on the web.

ok, had a bit of time on my hands tonight, so finished the other little CLF clips, so here ye go:

http://www.choylayfut-ireland.com/videos.html

Looked at some clips of me from about 3/4 years ago and cringed ;-) Hope I improved in the meantime...

Galadriel