Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLF Grandmaster Chui Kwong Yuen

CLF Grandmaster Chui Kwong Yuen

I just thought Id post a video I found of Grandmaster Chui Kwong Yuen. His name pops up often but I think few people have ever seen him.
    The video was shown on a TV show in Hong Kong about 2 years ago. Its just a short clip filmed in his home and school, he explains a bit about CLF and some of his students demonstrate some movements. The music is a bit annoying but I thought some may find it interesting.

Enjoy!

http://www.rthk.org.hk/special/invin...rtialart06.asx

Thanks for showing the clip, Chui has got pure Ngoi Nim Sau - "outside of the curtains" hands.

Im not sure what that means but thanks. Grandmaster Chui is in his mid-70's now, still quite active in teaching and performs from time to time as well.

Blog Entries
    Jospeh, yes pls, can you exlain "out side of the curtain hands?

And as some of us know Chuy Kwon Yuen is the son of the elder Chui Chueng.

Some of the information on my litttle webpage about Cai Dezhong (GGM) comes from him, which is printed in his 2001 publication "Choy Lee Fut Chui Cheung Kung Fu students Association." (Which by the way i eliminated the parts of my article which focus on our ugly historical debates, and now only call it the legend of the GGM).
    some of you guys should remember him from the old Real Kung Fu magazines.

I have him on tape in malaysia (or Singpore) performing ping kuen on stage. after him came the Elder Poon Sing. whom to me still looks very strong in his advanced years. "wouldn't want to get hit by him, definetely.

peace.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-17-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Hi Frank,

Since you are one of us, no matter how crazy you can be, I still have time for you, brother.

The world is one big village now, you can open doors just by an email or just by knocking.

There are thousands of CLF prctitioners all over the world and the lineage of each branch is still very strong. Something unusual for a style of CMA perhaps with the exception of Chen Taiji.

Instead of sharing information and break down the isolation and treachery of our past, we (meaning the electronic generation) put our heads in the sand and ignore the vast knowledge and tradition of this fine art. Soon, these old guys will all drop dead and all we have left is an empty shall.

Frank, you go to Futshan regularly, instead of dropping by King Mui, you chose to ignore it out of your lopped sense of loyality. Do you know the old guys in China they talked to each other egularly?

There are video of all shades of CLF, look how players from each branch move , especially the shape of their limbs and the way the body moves and you will notice the subtle difference between a Ngoi Nim Sau and a Ngei Nim Sau. Guys in Futshan or King Mui don't move like Chui.

That was the way they did it to keep out the lazy and the school jumping students (those who can't wait to set up their own branch) but there is no dedication to the art or keeping secrets any more, so all you have to do is to be humble enough to ask and we can't even do this to each other.

Even we cannot do it or want to do it, it is good to know the difference. We will get a good sense of how the art evolved from the past to the present.

If you still don't know what I am talking about, then I will elaborate, it is very easy to see when we are told what to look for.

I give you a hint, look at Fu-Pow's clip, although he is quite sloppy and not in very good shape, he moves differently to Chui and his students. Can you tell me in what way?

EJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph

I give you a hint, look at Fu-Pow's clip, although he is quite sloppy and not in very good shape, he moves differently to Chui and his students. Can you tell me in what way?

EJ
    Please, do tell. We're anxiously awaiting YOUR CLIP as well, so you can "show" us the difference.

Hi Fu Pow,

I don't have to show you my clip, there are better ones on the market already and you can buy them cheaply by the truck load.

Try Chen Yong-Fa's King Mui footage and see the difference between the Bak Sing, Hung Sing and Great Sage Hung Sing.

I am not talking about who is better or who is stronger and who is going to win a fight, I am talking about the techical differences here.

You mean to tell me you don't know how differently you move to Chiu?

The outstretched arm of Chiu is stiff but at least you try to be a ****y looking whip! Read some Daoist classic and you will know only the dead is stiff. Chiu only move his upper body but at least you try to move the lot abide sloppily and "cheung kiu da ma" does not mean one stretches ones arms and legs out like a virgin full of holes! And then there are the hands, in particular the circles made by the hands...

These are just starting points and I can go on and on, but I am not about to show you my clip cos it won't help, you only see the external and not what is "behind the curtains". That has to be told and if you want to continue to make progress, then you'd better find out.

EJ

EJ:

Give Fu-Pow a break, afterall the guy is 6'6" and I don't know too many players at that size.

I know what your saying here. With me first thing I look at is the shoulders then the waist. Supple shoulders and a flexible waist tend to translate into loose smooth movements. Everyone plays their CLF differently, so are more external and others more internal.

I have seen some of Chan Wing Fat's students perform and you will see both ways there as well. So it comes down to the player.

Glad to see your back.

Hi CLFNole,

You have been around this place for a long time, haven't you?

There is more to it than the loose body and the supple limbs but never mind, we will leave the whole thing at that.

Sorry Fu Pow, didn't mean to be so critical, just want to push a bit harder for someone who has great potential.

I'll be gone now that Frank has quiet down, cheers.

EJ

Blog Entries
    joseph, don't go far away, brother.

Blog Entries
    i've been quiet because i've been playing around with my little website, adding new things.

check it out and tell me what you think.

Hi Frank,

I like the photo of you with your godson, it shows the soft side of you.

I can't go very far, whenever you open your mouth about history, someone will contact me and ask me to get over here!

Best wishes to you my bro., just take it easy will you? There are too many old guys like us around!

EJ

"There are too many old guys like us around! "

there certainly are. friends back to say hello - how nice

peace to you all

B/C

Blog Entries
    and look, bean curd's back in the fray of things.

joseph, thanks, thats my little man there.

you big og's you!

Blog Entries
    I was just watching the clip again, and joseph asked me to compare how fu pow moves as to chui kwan yuen.

Well, fu pow has that lkh flow, but there is no life in his hands. or in other words, the intent behind his techniques is lacking life (Strength?)

chui kwan yuen and his students, even when having soft hands you can see the intent of the technique.

and that intent, life, and power i try to install in my students everyday during basics.