Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What Kung-fu for me?

I will have to laugh at "wushu" weapons as well. Personally I have not performed in a weapon competition, were I to do so though, I dont think I would feel right using a spring steel light weight prop. I would have to use a live blade or not compete at all. If i were not ready to use a live blade, then I would not be ready for competition.

I practice japanese fencing by myself. I own a katana and have for years, if I am not using a wooden sword then I use my steel. One day someone said their new wushu dao was too heavy

I just had to laugh....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It's best to keep the sword light. Otherwise you'll be just focusing on brute strength. millions of ppl doing wushu can't be wrong. plus the swords are spring steel ones that sell at shaolin

got three sheets of aluminum paper? then you've got a wushu weapon!

IMO, wushu skill forms are great for developing the kind of formative muscle memory and precision needed for a foundation in weapon arts. but by not ever using a weapon thick enough or tempered to be battlefield real just looses ambiance. just imagine all the problems that would occur if sharp metal was being toted around town. it just makes sense from a lowest common denominator sense of governance.

lol. you always say the funniest little silly things vasquez.

i think we should start feeding you more and get you house trained, you can be the forum troll. kinda like a mascot you dont show anybody, and doesnt really represent you. okay, more like a lame dog with one eye and 3 legs, but its kinda the same thing right?

"Food" for thought:

stick with your light "shaolin" spring steel swords, then we can duel and ill use a combat steel live blade. Then you can watch my blade break yours as you block, and lodge itself into your shoulder.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    "Food" for thought:

stick with your light "shaolin" spring steel swords, then we can duel and ill use a combat steel live blade. Then you can watch my blade break yours as you block, and lodge itself into your shoulder.
    i used tothink that way. until sifu bought a wushu broadsword for giggles just to try one out. he and my hsi-hsing played the broadsword v. broadsword routine. the wushu weapon actually cut the combat steel weapon about an inch into the blade from the spine. the wushu paper tore and left a sharp edge. when the cmbat steel hit the wushu steel the wushu steel gave under the weight of the combat steel like a blade of grass in a strong wind. so they both have their points.

however if your opponent is wearing any kind of thick or multi layered cloth the wushu weapon has had it. the perfect thickness for a broadsword is about .185" of 1085carbon no longer than 38". the 1050 carbon metal is better for axe-like tools and da mo canes/ lucerne hammers. 1095 is good for short slicers: longer blades of this material break easily.

ummmm

the wushu steel weapon cut the combat steel weapons blade????

not sure if thats even scientifically possible. the density of actual combat steel...ummmmmmmm

not saying it didnt happen but i just happen to have my doubts....really really bad combat steel perhaps...

When I say combat steel I am refering to steel used in live blades that would be used in war.

not combat steel such as combat wushu steel.

take a han wei wushu dao, and a han wei dynasty dao. smash those blades together and see what happens.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Flexible blade is better - just like a fencing sword, the movements are less predictable.

the wushu steel weapon cut the combat steel weapons blade????
    not sure if thats even scientifically possible. the density of actual combat steel...ummmmmmmm
    take a physics class. force being equal, the surface area of the wushu blade being smaller than the combat steel, the wushu weapon will have a greater capability to shear the combat steel than the combat steel to shear the wushu weapon.

the wushu and combat steel weapons are actually cut from the same metallurgical type of metal. the thickness is the only real difference. they have the same density. just different thicknesses. but that is enough to produce significant physical differences in terms of capability and capacity.

if you're thinking "European Combat", well, then you may be correct. the weapons are totally different, but look similar. in europe the intent of a weapon was to kill the guy hiding behind a screen of steel. so they had to be different than the weapons of china and india.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 09-22-2005 at 11:18 AM.

interesting, ive never really looked into this before, I will do so now.

I do know some wushu performance weapons are not solid steel though. take some sand paper to a tiger claw wushu dao and watch the color change

thanks for the info though.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

interesting, ive never really looked into this before, I will do so now.

I do know some wushu performance weapons are not solid steel though. take some sand paper to a tiger claw wushu dao and watch the color change

thanks for the info though.
    this was back in the ninties. so production methods may have changed. i knw of one company that makes cutting tools out of mylar aluminum. other composite items are on the market , too. such as the plastic used in mylar as a cake sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum thinner than foil. did the one you scraped have a white undersurface? if so i't probably a high density high flexion plastic under aluminum or stainless laminate. sometimes they're just brush-chromed or electroplated. this has been a common method from asia/phillipines for about three years and was started maybe 8 years ago in korea in production. ceramic engineers were working on this in the mid ninties for Krupps Industries, Germany and an Arizona university ceramics department. not sure if it was ASU or Flagg.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 09-22-2005 at 11:38 AM.

k ive decided im just going to trust you on this one
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible-fist
    A lot of traditional schools teach forms for years. My old school was that way. And lest you accuse it of being a dance school, we produced some bad a55 kick boxers.
    If the school produces good kick boxers then they must spar. I say this because otherwise you would not know that they are good kickboxers. Kickboxing IS sparing. If they spar than they use training methodology other than performance wushu forms. Because sparring is a training methodology in and of its self. I am not against forms per-say; I simply don't believe that forms alone make a good fighter and so if your school uses other methodologies than forms, in addition to forms, it could very well produce good fighters without making anything Vasquez said valid in the slightest.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Pang Quan: Between the Hanwei Dynasty Dao and the Hanwei Wushu Dao the dyansty Dao will brobably break the wushu Dao but I believe that they use different steel and different forging techniques for the expensive Dynasty blades than they do for the Wushu Dao. All else is not equal. So this neither confirms nor disputes YZDZ's point.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    Pang Quan: Between the Hanwei Dynasty Dao and the Hanwei Wushu Dao the dyansty Dao will brobably break the wushu Dao but I believe that they use different steel and different forging techniques for the expensive Dynasty blades than they do for the Wushu Dao. All else is not equal. So this neither confirms nor disputes YZDZ's point.
    i can find out. when were they made? most of the forged hanwei steel is common knife steel not spring steel. they also use modern processes for making the steel and not more traditional methods. so for modern type hanwei steel you are probably correct. especially if you are comparing thier japanese types which have a diffferent base metallurical breakdown than what has been sold as "chinese" in the past. some hanwei weapons are noted as being made of the same steel as the japanese style weapons. so that would make them significantly different.

i was looking at my broadsword last night. it's just under .080" thick and is 32" long with a cheap looking chromed blade. the metal is untempered and will not take a slicing edge. i put it to my four by four post test and it pennetrated 5/8ths of an inch on a corner. the hanwei wakizashi i had pennetrated around 7/16ths of the same post in a similar test.

the wushu broadsword has scratches on it from where a hanwei wakizashi slid off the belly durring a block manuever. i suppose you could create the right conditions for both results to occur to prove either of our points. it's just a matter of how many dollars do you want to waste in the process?

do you know anything about the costs associated with doing business in china, exporting from china , importing to the US and trying to make a living? a basic wooden toy is around $15usd; wushu toys start around $37usd and can end up near $70usd plus shipping to your business or residence.

we're not all in asia.