Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real Kung fu in a standup street fight?

ya simon i agree. very facking weak.

it shows how little skill the "winner" has, simply due to the fact that he had his opponent in a very vulnerable position, and could not execute a finish.

seeing things like that always make me feel a tinge of anger.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    ya simon i agree. very facking weak.

it shows how little skill the "winner" has, simply due to the fact that he had his opponent in a very vulnerable position, and could not execute a finish.

seeing things like that always make me feel a tinge of anger.
    Yeah. I don't like unfair fights. The really disturbing thing is that these guys seemed proud of their "accomplishment".
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Back to the original topic:
    I second that the guy was probably someone who'd practiced a martial art for a short time and that the stuff in the beginningh was purely to show off. But I think I heard him say "anything goes" which I remember to be the translation of Vale Tudo(correct me here). But I have never seen it done and don't know what it looks like.
    And about that last vid. That was downright WRONG. The guy had to struggle the whole time through so as not to let his attacker score a kick (I think, he was holding his legs back) and that other guy.. "go get him mike!" just made me sick.
    (I don't thik he was trying to take him down, that would have been pretty hopeless. but I am not the brightest crayon in the box.)
    'Oh, yeth. We are ready to grathp the future with both handth, thur.'
    '-and four thumbs-'
    'Yeth, thur. We can grathp like anything.'

Rule One:
    Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!

Talking

Thank you guys, that's what I was hoping for - an educated discussion.

But couldn't his "tactic" at the beginning be "intimidation". He was surrounded by many people, possible opponents, and had to fall back on what he was taught.

Or, Taatelipalmu said that it looked like he studied for a short while, well, if that was the case, could it not be that he had not much experience in street fighting and was simply reacting without realizing how foolish he looked?

Honestly, I am not trying to load the guy up with street cred, and apparently, I am behind on my internet-fu, just wanted to hear what everyone else thought.

Many thanks,

Tug.
    Last edited by tug; 10-04-2005 at 11:21 AM.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I'd still like to see a Toi San or Guangzhou master in a street fight, as long as I wasn't the opponent.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Yawn, that old chestnut again?

I think you can pretty well assume he studied Dutch Kung Fu, and used the famous Windmill attack.

Posturing and blustering are probably the most basic of strategies to try to psych out your opponent, and ****ed if it didn't work, eh, had the guy tying shoes, tucking in his shirt, stalling on all fronts.

He dropped the guy with a misguided/lucky strike to the back of the ear/side of the neck. He had size and power, and maybe a bit of training? There's not much to be learned here, nor admired, except perhaps that he didn't put the boot in when the little guy went down...

He did long arm swinging punches, yet his stances didn't look much like any Pak Hok, Lama or CLF I've ever seen. Stances looked like Hung Kuen or Northern Mantis.

Ok, so Hung has some swinging arms. Any of you Hung Kuen people want to take credit for him?

I'd rather use my Kung Fu as a training of my body and mind, to improve my health and learn some cool moves than you (plus many other reasons...). Maybe if there is absolutley no way out, I can consider fighting, but I don't think so

If you want self defence go and train with the cops!! lol
    Trying to train hard...

Holy Crap!!

I can't believe someone resurrected this thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

No matter what people say about the lack of traditional gong fu in UFC and Pride, you can't tell me CLC and the other Tigers wouldn't have kicked butt.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNeedle View Post
    I'd rather use my Kung Fu as a training of my body and mind, to improve my health and learn some cool moves than you (plus many other reasons...). Maybe if there is absolutley no way out, I can consider fighting, but I don't think so

If you want self defence go and train with the cops!! lol
    Self-defense is a crucial, if not the most crucial component of kung fu training. Health, and mental improvement are very important as well and should be included in your training. Have you seen what police are training? It is usually not that great and more often they have to pursue training on their own time compared to what the Academy makes them go through. A friend of mine recently complete his Law Enforcement training and the combat stuff was very minimal, I think six hours a day for two weeks, and lacked in many areas in terms of what police can expect to encounter.

IF you want self-defence find someone that teaches self-defense regardless of style...but if your kung fu is lacking it then I would say that it is not kung fu.
    A unique snowflake

These threads are like zombies, you just can't kill them.

I think that the guy taught me something. Having no experience at all in street fighting if one day (hopefully never ever) I happen to end up in one I will do the same thing. The opponent will laugh at me so much that he might take the fight as easy victory and not give 100% in the fight. Or he might just think I am an idiot and have a good laughter and walk away.

Wink

Thats were the martial arts hype kicks in ,when u bust some stance twirl ya hands in the air.Its all down to the image , movies , rep , it does work it doesnt .The thug has hunderd questions about it and no anserws puts major doubt in his head . Im glad that guy placed a smack on his head it doesnt matter if looked wrong with the stance and all because thats why he won he made the thug doubt himself with that stance MENTAL COMBAT .

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    No matter what people say about the lack of traditional gong fu in UFC and Pride, you can't tell me CLC and the other Tigers wouldn't have kicked butt.

You can't?

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    These threads are like zombies, you just can't kill them.
    Werd.

TuG
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel