Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Sanjan Question ?

Sanchin / 4 principles

Normski,

You mentioned 4 principles used by the "catcher." Could you possibly list those 4 principles?

thanks,

Andy

Float, sink, swallow, spit (fou, chum, tun, toh)
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Several Southern Mantis "saam bo gin" videos are viewable at www.tonglong.co.uk, amongst other things.

You need a basic registration to get in.

Rdgs,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Several Southern Mantis "saam bo gin" videos are viewable at www.tonglong.co.uk, amongst other things.

You need a basic registration to get in.

Rdgs,
    David
    Thanks David Ill look them up

Check out this :- www.nikawakai.co.uk
    and look for the videos
    also look for the Link to Fujibaihe

Cheers
    When the Crane Flaps its Wings it Creates a tornado

Source of Sanchin

Since sanchin exists in Fukien White Crane and Ngo Cho is comprised, in part, of white crane it would seem reasonable to consider white crane the source and others derivatives (karate styles).

The fujian baihe version from the fellow in the UK ( who's name escapes me) is very similar to the version I have seen from Ngo Cho.

There are several Fukien arts that have a Sam Chien set that are not necessarily related to white crane. I think it is probably fair to say that it is a concept that is Fukien in origin, rather than from white crane.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Quote Originally Posted by joedoe
    There are several Fukien arts that have a Sam Chien set that are not necessarily related to white crane. I think it is probably fair to say that it is a concept that is Fukien in origin, rather than from white crane.
    Of course today this is true, however we must not forget that the origional Shaolin 5 ancestors were all from the same temple in the north, and during the Manchurin occupation the Shaolin were persecuted, and all seperated, through China. Also the White Crane portion of their system was said to be quicker to teach the people of China in their quest to fight the Manchurians, so maybe the White Crane was the predcessor to what we are all doing today, and that San Jan / Sanchin / Sam Chien is the connecting form ????
    When the Crane Flaps its Wings it Creates a tornado

Quote Originally Posted by mufty
    There are many Sanjan, it seems that a version of Sanjan (Sanchin) exists across all the Oriental martial arts.

The questions are :-

'Do you practice a version of Sanjan ?

'What are your stance characteristics ?

'At what speeds do you practice ?'

'How do you breath when performing Sanjan ?

Regards
    >
    >
    1) The Beggars Art contains this form it is called Sam Chian (The Three Fights or Three Battles)

2) Bent knees, leading foot turned in slightly, semi-circular footsteps. Three steps forward, three back again, one more forward (seven in total). No turns.

3) Always slowly. Breath is expelled by contraction of stomach muscles. Rising and falling. Clenched fist changing to open hand for strikes.

Sam Chian is our first kwoon toll and is also the basic/beginners form for internal strength training. I was told that this form originated in the Southern shaolin temple.

Best wishes

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Ben Hor,
    Do you play this with flat fist, pheonix-eye, or spearhands?
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    Ben Hor,
    Do you play this with flat fist, pheonix-eye, or spearhands?
    TT
    >
    Spear hand, although that term isn't used within the Beggars Art, for the strikes. from the strikes the open hands are clenched into fists as part of the release/escape movements.
    >
    Best wishes

Source Of Samchien

JoeDoe,

What arts other than Ngo Cho and White Crane from Fujian / Fukien have the Samchien? I read in this thread a reference to "beggars art" but never before heard of it under that name. I understand that White Crane as well as Ngo Cho have additional tension taolu that build on Samchien foundation. Are these present in the other arts as well??

Thanks for any insight you provide.

Beggars Art

Quote Originally Posted by KwaiChangCaine
    JoeDoe,

I read in this thread a reference to "beggars art" but never before heard of it under that name.

Thanks for any insight you provide.
    The term 'Beggars Art' is a nickname given the system over the centuries. It's formal name is Fong Yang (Sun Phoenix) kung fu. Fong Yang (now Feng Yeng) being the name of the prefecture where the system originated. Fong Yang is in An-Wei province (now An-Fei!). The nickname came about because up until quite recently villagers used to leave the village every three years and travel around China and Asia to raise money. This they did by selling medicines, giving medical treatments, hiring themselves out as bodyguards and so on. Quite often it would be a mother and daughter travelling; Other times a man on his own. Due to this habit/custom they became known as 'Beggars'. However, they were not beggars in the sense that we think of today.
    >
    This custom led to the art being established in other areas such as Malaysia and Hong Kong. It also led to the inclusion, over the centuries, of forms from other styles. For example Buan Kune Choon (Manchurian Walking Stick).
    >
    Hope this helps.

Fujian styles with san zhan core

taizuquan
    wuzuquan
    hequan
    yongchunbaihequan
    shifa
    huzunquan
    dishuquan (gouquan)

Others do not have specific sanzhan but have similar basics incorporated:
    Longyanquan
    Luohanquan
    Niufa

Generally accepted that Taizuquan being the older has the reign of mother sanzhan with hequan a close second. Where wuzuquan was built on taizuquan foundation and hequan core. Although in current formats all have developed and evolved.

Kind regards
    Wu Chanlong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    are there any vids showing taizuquan sanzhan?

There are few different lineages of taizuquan each has evolved so their sanzhan differ slightly (typically in the additional movement, like many styles additional fundamental core movements are added to their sanzhans) but the base is identical to wuzuquan.

In addition in accordance to the taizuquan (or Wuzuquan) Quanpu as handed down by my grandmaster Miao Yue, it makes clear reference to sanzhan (the first of the many zhan's in wuzuquan) as taizu sanzhan.

Regards
    Wu Chanlong