Thread: Shaolin History

Shaolin History

In this months issue of kungfumagazine from the newsstands, a reader posted the question about the history of Shaolin. I know that Gene's answer to the mailbag was short and sweet, because he has better things to do than to write the history of china in his spare time!

But.

Does anyone here know if there is a history book written on Shaolin and the temple?

Does anyone know where someone could get the answers to some of those questions?

Just curious and thinking that with all the history books out there...there aught ta be something about the Shaolin Temple, etc.

Peace,
    Kenton Sefcik

PS - Great issue this month! Keep it up!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Thanks for your kind words, couch

I'm curious why you didn't post this on the Shaolin forum. As for a comprehensive history, there's a good one in the works by Dr. Meir Shahar that will cover the Ming and Qing periods. But for the most part, my original comment to that reader holds - we've been publishing a lot in our annual Shaolin Specials, so check out our back issues and you can piece it all together, more or less.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

just catch some shaolin isues of kungfu taichi, thats all you need

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I'm curious why you didn't post this on the Shaolin forum. As for a comprehensive history, there's a good one in the works by Dr. Meir Shahar that will cover the Ming and Qing periods. But for the most part, my original comment to that reader holds - we've been publishing a lot in our annual Shaolin Specials, so check out our back issues and you can piece it all together, more or less.
    Honestly, I think I didn't post in the Shaolin forum because I wanted some words from the bossman! I was sure that you would know if any books/articles have been written about the history in the last oh, say, 500 years!

I will think about rewording and posting in the Shaolin forum. Thanks to you both!

Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

big boss man

You'd get my response on the Shaolin Forum too. Not that I'm trying to discourage posting down here at all. This is the smallest forum, but in many ways, the most important for keeping this forum running...

Big boss man, can't you hear me when I call?
    You ain't so big, you just tall, that's just about all.

You got me working boss man, a workin' around the clock,
    I want a little drink of whiskey, you sure won't let me stop.

I'm gonna get me a boss man, one gonna treat me right,
    I work hard in the daytime, sure get drunk at night.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart