Thread: favourite insect

Hybrid View

favourite insect

a couple of years ago i was practicing in my back yard and was engulfed by a small swarm of dragon flies. i kept practicing thinking they'd get out of the way or get knocked aside-and they'd learn to stay out of my way. well this went on for several weeks. one day they were gone. now every fall about mating season for dragonflies and again around hatching time i get small swarms of dragonflies in my backyard doing small flight patterns that resemble the forms i was working on. most notable was a staff form where one end of the staff was up in the air for several moves- and the dragon flies were trying to land on it. (later i learned they like the highest place overlooking a garden as a hunting perch). so just moments ago i saw this dragon fly mimicing the end of the staff's movements through my back yard. seems i have a student after all!

Well I might be biased here but hands down the coolest most vicious insect is definatly the praying mantis.... whiel the dragon fly is also an extremly cool insect. Nothing can come close to the mantis which looms over its opponents then with razor sharp forearms and lighting speed snatches it prey then chews a whole in the throat........ nice
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

i was watching the discovery channel last night. lets just say i have a new found respect for ants. ferocious little *******s. 2,000 you have a fighting chance....500,000 is pushing your luck but come across 20 mil. and your plain old screwed.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

who needs hundreds of thousands when one Jack-Jumper can leave you dead in less than an hour.

In relation to the first post, I was in Cambodia in April in a country-side town, standing in the street and there were thousands and thousands of dragon flies that came through in a giant swarm, I'd never seen anything like it ever, it lasted for over 30 minutes, seemd like it was snowing dragon flies, of all different colors, and none of them would touch you.

I like spiders. And since the poster related his story, here's mine.

One particular night, when I was still living with my parents, a spider had made a HUGE web outside our front door. The next morning, I just walked around it, but my dad took a broom stick and knocked it down. That night, there was another web in the same place. When morning came, my father knocked it down. This happened two more times. Finally, When I came home on the fifth night, the web was there - but in the morning, it was gone before my father got to it.... And it was back up that night. For the next week or so, it built it's web and (I'm assuming) it was also taking it down before morning.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I like ladybugs.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    For the next week or so, it built it's web and (I'm assuming) it was also taking it down before morning.
    I've never heard of a spider taking its web down before.

You sure your father didn't just knock it down earlier?

To answer the question, I think stick bugs are cool. (I said stick, not stink). I've only seen one twice in my life, but each time I stared at it for like 2 minutes while it walked across the ground in front of me. Awesome camoflauge!
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    I like spiders. And since the poster related his story, here's mine.

One particular night, when I was still living with my parents, a spider had made a HUGE web outside our front door. The next morning, I just walked around it, but my dad took a broom stick and knocked it down. That night, there was another web in the same place. When morning came, my father knocked it down. This happened two more times. Finally, When I came home on the fifth night, the web was there - but in the morning, it was gone before my father got to it.... And it was back up that night. For the next week or so, it built it's web and (I'm assuming) it was also taking it down before morning.
    Your father didn't burn any cakes did he?