Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: favourite insect

Yuan: I like ladybugs too. You might even follow the example of some of the great Kung Fu masters and develop your own system of Dragonfly Kung Fu. I will become your bug disciple.
    Figure Eight

So, is no one man enough to call 7* a dumb@ss for calling spiders an insect???

If you saw my grade in biology, you'd know why I didn't call him on it because I don't know the difference between an anachrid, anarchist, and Ana Bell from Little Rock.
    Figure Eight

Holy Jackie H Chan! Those are the babies!

Those are the very same mofos I saw in the mountains in Kyoto!

You know loads of people had told me that two stings and you're history, and they also said that the stings didn't even have to be at the same time... so you can be stung once and ten years later stung again and it's curtains. I was like 'Yeah right': although the Japanese aren't exactly given to old wives' tales, I just didn't believe it having been stung countless times by UK bees and wasps.

I even asked a couple of doctors and they concurred.

But this is the first time I've seen evidence!

No wonder my girlfriend ran away crying when a particularly persistent one followed us around in a wood with hundreds of the ****ers in! I shall have to apologise to her profusely for not taking her seriously enough, and maybe even kill myself... AGAIN!

We saw nests too...

There were loads of them near the Kurama Tengu Shrine of Yo****sune's training... I wonder if he was so badass cos he learnt jedi hornet chopping techs...!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Saw my first wild mantids in Kyoto the other day. The first one was next to the temple where Yo****sune supposedly spent ten years learning bujutsu from the tengu. It was cool, small and brown. Just waiting.

The second one was hyyyyuuuuuuuge. Must have been a good six inches. Green. Evil and spikey looking. What I didn't realize, until it moved from the ceiling of the train towards the group of cute young Japanese 20-something ladies is that they fly! They're not exactly graceful, or quick, but I didn't even know they could do it!
    I saw little green mantids all the time back in Ontario. When I was a kid I used to love playing with them. No, never hurting them, just putting things in their path for them to climb on, trying to encourage them to use their claws on a sick, stuff like that. I saw my first flying mantis in China; it was about 3.5 inches long, brown and landed on my shoulder.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Respect the Wasp mofos.

30 of em can kill off 300,000 bees in a 4 hour sortee.

they be vicious.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    So, is no one man enough to call 7* a dumb@ss for calling spiders an insect???
    the man just lost 300 cred points. i was tryin ta overlook it. but yea spiders are arachnids.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Dim Wit Mak
    Yuan: I like ladybugs too. You might even follow the example of some of the great Kung Fu masters and develop your own system of Dragonfly Kung Fu. I will become your bug disciple.
    dragon flies' favourite meal is ladybug. i happen to like ladybugs, though. they're really good for my garden. but i think i'd go out and find ladybugs to keep the dragonflies around.

like american honey bees they are amazingly social and don't seem to mind human interaction or even a little human interferance in thier nesting and feeding habbits. there's one that opens it's mandible on both sides showing it's teeth every time it graces me. i can't help but think it's waiting for me to shove a nice fat ladybug in there. but, knowing my luck he's probably saying, "wanna see me fit you in here?"

thanks for the offer, but you will have to be the dragon fly's student. the dragon fly learns from me. you will learn from the dragon fly. from father to son and from platonic form to martin buber. perhaps you will be a better student of the dragon fly style than i for i mimic my sifu and the dragonfly mimics me to the best of his ability. so you shall mimic the dragonfly to the best of your ability. becareful though, there are many tantilizing deceptions within the garden of knowledge: most dangerous for dragonfly is the spider's strategum. second most deadly is the hook-clawed grasshopper. third most deadly is the night watchmen of the garden, the racoon and the oppossum. fourth you must develop your qi gong fu against the impossible insecticide: this is accomplished by the gong of the 30,000 flap breath and the three day draught gong. much work to do for you to catch up to dragonfly. but first you must lighten your step like dragonfly and bend the wind to your intent.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 10-01-2005 at 02:31 AM.

I'll still take the jump jack ants over anything. I saw a documentary on those things. They have a real bad attitude and are ultra agressive. When other animals here them on the march? They ****ing run like hell,
    bugs, snakes, lizards etc.
    They also **** humans up pretty good and can kill with a bite if not promptly trated.

I have to stand with dragonflys on this one also. The last time I went to my Great Grandfather's cabin there were hundereds on the lake. When we went fishing, they would keep the horseflies away. This one that seemed somewhat fond of me, hung out for a few hours. He(or She, I don't guess I know) would come up and come within about 2 inches of my eyes as long as I didn't move and stayed relaxed. He was real friendly. He came back a few times and showed me his latest meal. It was odd, like he was proud of catching whatever little bug he had and wanted to show it off. I was appreciative though and it made my day .
    - Max

==================================================

Enjoy everything, you might as well...

The best thing about Shao-lin is that it very quickly shows you exactly how weak you are.

I think the jack ants would tear the giant hornets to peices.
    The hornets can take honey bee stings, but the jack ants bite can kill a human.
    They also have the right , aggressive attitude.

As far as dragonflys go, put yourv finger close to them when they land. Often they will hop on it. I can't do it, but I've seen my wife do it a dozen times easy.

Dragonflies are like the guard-dogs of the insect world!
    Every year when I go cottaging, out on the Lakes with all the mosquitos, I could almost always count on some Dragonflies to chaperone me and my friends. The buzz that the big ones make is quite cool as well !

Dragonflies can't bite or sting, can they? I'm kinda scared of them when they swarm around.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Holy Jackie H Chan! Those are the babies!

Those are the very same mofos I saw in the mountains in Kyoto!

You know loads of people had told me that two stings and you're history, and they also said that the stings didn't even have to be at the same time... so you can be stung once and ten years later stung again and it's curtains. I was like 'Yeah right': although the Japanese aren't exactly given to old wives' tales, I just didn't believe it having been stung countless times by UK bees and wasps.

I even asked a couple of doctors and they concurred.

But this is the first time I've seen evidence!

No wonder my girlfriend ran away crying when a particularly persistent one followed us around in a wood with hundreds of the ****ers in! I shall have to apologise to her profusely for not taking her seriously enough, and maybe even kill myself... AGAIN!

We saw nests too...

There were loads of them near the Kurama Tengu Shrine of Yo****sune's training... I wonder if he was so badass cos he learnt jedi hornet chopping techs...!?
    Wait, those huge bees will kill you if you're stung twice EVER?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Ironfist, if dragonflies are swarming about you, that's cool, it just means that they are looking for the bugs that probably want to feast on you.