Thread: Traditional Kung Fu in Manhattan?

Traditional Kung Fu in Manhattan?

A friend of mine lives in Manhattan and is looking for a traditional kung fu school that teaches traditional forms and has a strong emphasis in sparring. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=34690

i got some decent responses to this
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I got 2 for you.

sifuchenying.com
    Teaches wushu has taught many champions. Also teaches natural style. Very tradiotnal. Sparring pad work the whole nine. And he is just awesome.

sifugrados.com
    A great wingchun teacher. Teaches 2 man drills and lots of sparring. hard with no equipment. You could wear some if you want but no one ever does.

Talking

There's also Yee's Hung Gar - who happen to be running the 10th annual Wong Fei Hong tourney (see that other thread)...

Traditional Hung Ga, Dang Fong lineage; They have 6 branches in the city, I'm sure you can find one near you...
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

The wu tang school is great. They teach Hsing I,Tai Chi and Ba Gua. They have two sparring classes a week and two push hands/rou shou { bag gua sparring method} classes. The sparring classes focusses on western boxing utlizing internal principles. The sparring curiculum also included kickboxing, grappling, weapons and style verse style sparring. All Sparring is done in a fun and helpfull way.

Wu Tang Physical Association
    9 second ave. 3rd floor,between Houston and 2nd ave
    1212-533-1751

http://www.metal-tiger.com/Wu_Tang_PCA/

There are several good, traditional schools. A few are:

Pak Mei with Sifu Kwong Man Fong

Lung Ying with Sifu Yip Wing Hong. Unfortunately, the website link I have no longer seems to work.

Yee's Hung Ga with several branch schools in the area

City Wing Tsun with Sifu Alex Richter

Chan Internal Martial Arts with Sifu David Bond Chan
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

lung ying

shifu Yip Wing Hong's school website as far as I know:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/dragonstyle/

I plan on checking this school out when I return to NY.

Hai-To (did you get that from agent Hao-To...Kid with Golden Arm?) made some good suggestions. Sifu Frank Yee always shows students who have good form and are willing to spar in tournament.

I would highly recomned he check out my master (he's no longer at the web site location but I can put him in touch) but he won't learn form as most have come to think of it. He'll learn strong shapes, postures and movements and how they relate to combat .... how to make them smooth and effortless. He also won't be doing any sparring. Instead, he'll do a lot of two person drills but after a month or two of basics will be able to do these drills full power, the other man really attacking his head with boxing gloves.

After a while of that (2 -3 years), he can go out and surprise himself. Also, I'll be his classmate so we can spar to the level he wants so he can work on concepts.

If he's interested, PM me.