Thread: What Type of Shoe?

What Type of Shoe?

Just curious, what type of shoe everyone is wearing to class and what would you recommend for someone just starting out in Wing Chun?

If I remember right, after visiting 3 different Kung-Fu schools I think I saw a number of what looked like to me as kind of light weight skate type shoes, but not exactly sure what they were. I have not had much luck finding anything similar at Target or Walmart, or even Academy and Footlocker. The skate shoes Academy and Footlocker carry look to be of a much heavier type than what I thought I remember seeing. Other people I remember observing were wearing what looked like just plain ol' cross-trainers of one sort or another, but again not exactly sure and at the time did not give it much thought. Only now that I am preparing to start in the next few days has it even occured to me to figure out what type of shoe I will need for class, so thought I would start here on this forum by asking what everyone else is wearing.

Does the sole of the shoe need to have the pivot point or have a smooth surface?

Thanks for any advice.

RFB
    Last edited by rfbrown3; 09-29-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbrown3
    Just curious, what type of shoe everyone is wearing to class and what would you recommend for someone just starting out in Wing Chun?
    Bowling shoes make it easier to learn pivoting (less friction).

I would recommend wearing shoes that feel similar to whatever casual / athletic shoes you wear around on a daily basis. -That way, if you need to bust out some moves, you'll be used to the feel of the shoes you're wearing, and won't have to try to adapt your footwork "on the fly" in the middle of a high stress situation.

Stay clear of the classic kung-fu slippers. They have zero arch support, or shock absorbtion. Besides, if you get them, you'll have to buy the matching silk pajamas.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

I agree with Lawrence on "Kung Fu Slippers". IMO, other than inline skates or stillettos (only the former which I have practical experience in) they are the single worst possible type of footwear in which to practice MA. IMO these are a conspiracy touted by Asian instructors to make the Gwailo student suffer for their amusement.

I train barefoot or in wrestling shoes. The "martial arts shoes" are usually OK too, though in my experience they don't last very long. I feel you're better off with a shoe without a hard edge on the sole (like KF slippers have), and without a lot of padding. While agreeing that you want sometimes to train in clothes that approximate your streetwear in case you have to defend yourself, the corrollary is that if you are concerned about self defense, you should wear clothes and shoes that make it practical.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the sole surface, something with reasonable grip without being too sticky. Sometimes you want to pivot or slip, sometimes you want to stick. If your footwork relies too much a certain type of footwear, you might want to change it.
    Last edited by anerlich; 09-29-2005 at 09:25 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

definetly stay away from kung fu slippers no support, good way to hurt your ankle or foot.
    Shoes with a flat sole are good for wing chun like stated before good for turning and stance footwork training. I currently have a pair of addidas martial art shoe and find them really comfortble but they do seem to wear quickly on the sole specialy if you train on concrete of a harsh surface.
    it does help if you train in similar shoes to which you normally wear, shoes that have good support so you dont get injuries, nothing worse than just starting a martial art then twisting your ankle or something and have to missout on training
    Also martial art shoes are normally expensive when a normal shoes will do a similar job

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    IMO, other than inline skates or stillettos (only the former which I have practical experience in)
    Yeah right mate, expect us to believe that with where you come from Priscilla?!

Kung Fu slippers are lethal, and its a matter of time before you land on your arse Nice to wear around the house but thats it !

Just wear trainers
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

I found that indoor soccor shoes from Galyans or someplace similar worked great!

Keith

Squash or badminton shoes are pretty good. You need to move around pretty quickly on court so they're pretty light. Might even be cheaper than MA shoes since they are more mainstream.

Wrestling Shoes

I've found wrestling shoes to be the most comfortable and practical. Both for you and for your training partners!

1) They have rounded sides to the bottom. This allows you to kick your parter with the sole (or on the side of the sole - like an oblique kick) and it doesn't dig into them as much

2) The soles are meant for traction and quick movements. Wrestlers can't be slow with footwork.

3) They have good ankle support, yet are flexible enough to allow good foot and ankle movement.

4) They're light weight

5) The upper part is usually soft so if you turn your foot over when you kick, you're not digging into your parter as much with the top of the shoe.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

me no like shoe for traning me frend say to buld hard feet walk on broken rocks so when you kick man it feels like iron bar breken bone. Chinese Military Series - Iron Body and Power Meditation this is good video it will help you with the shoe problem. iof you guys need anymore advise just ask me me will help you have studied 13 videos and am certifed master in iron body me took video corse and have certifcate. happy traning felas good luck

Order them through martiasl arts smart.
    Feiyues. Thats what they wear at Shaolin temple. They are very comfortable and light. I think they are the perfect kungfu sneaker.

They have imitations that are cheaper but they have no padding on the sole making them super uncomfortable.

I agree with Lawrence on "Kung Fu Slippers". IMO, other than inline skates or stillettos (only the former which I have practical experience in) they are the single worst possible type of footwear in which to practice MA.
    Those tight fitting dresses and skirts don't help much either!

On a more serious note, I think I have found what I was looking for at a Kohl's dept. store. Thanks for all the replies.

RFB