Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If it's not one thing, it's another. . . .

refer all future injury threads to my sig...

oh, ya, get well soon.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

The thing about Tylenol is that it is not an anti-inflammatory.

What you missed about the Lortab is that it contains Hydrocodone which is a highly addictive Narcotic. Think of it a Vicodin on steroids and it is not an anti-inflammatory. What we are looking for is the anti-inflammatory effect not the pain relieving effect.

Here is my background for the ill-informed and the Doubting Thomas's:

20 years as a nurse working in various fields, but also in a clinic where we treated sports and acute injuries. Guess what the Doctors prescribed?

One year as a fitness trainer in a Major metropolitan Physical therapy facility. Guess what the Doctors prescribed there?

Here are two links for those who prefer to do their own research and some excerpts from the literature for those who don't want to do the work:

Pfizer

Answer.com

Pfizer:

Suggested Dosage: 1200 mg-3200 mg daily (300 mg qid;
    400 mg, 600 mg or 800 mg tid or qid).
    [TID= 3 times a day, QID= 4 times a day]

Individual patients may
    show a better response to 3200 mg daily, as compared with
    2400 mg, although in well-controlled clinical trials patients on
    3200 mg did not show a better mean response in terms of efficacy.
    Therefore, when treating patients with 3200 mg/day, the physician
    should observe sufficient increased clinical benefits to offset potential
    increased risk.

The dose should be tailored to each patient, and may be lowered
    or raised depending on the severity of symptoms either at time of
    initiating drug therapy or as the patient responds or fails to respond.
    In general, patients with rheumatoid arthritis seem to require
    higher doses of MOTRIN than do patients with osteoarthritis.
    The smallest dose of MOTRIN that yields acceptable control
    should be employed. A linear blood level dose-response relationship
    exists with single doses up to 800 mg (See CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY for effects of food on rate of absorption).
    The availability of four tablet strengths facilitates dosage adjustment.
    In chronic conditions, a therapeutic response to therapy with
    MOTRIN is sometimes seen in a few days to a week but most often
    is observed by two weeks. After a satisfactory response has been
    achieved, the patient’s dose should be reviewed and adjusted as
    required.

Answer.com

ibuprofen (ī'byūprō'fən) , nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that reduces pain, fever, and inflammation. Along with naproxen and ketoprofen, ibuprofen belongs to the propionic acid class of NSAIDs. It was first made available in 1967. Like other NSAIDs, it acts by inhibiting the body's production of prostaglandins. Available over the counter in a variety of preparations (e.g., Advil, Motrin, Nuprin), it is commonly used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and painful menstruation. Side effects include rash, alteration of platelet function and bleeding, and intestinal upset, which can lead to gastritis. Like other NSAIDS, it appears to have no potential for abuse or physical dependence. It should not be used by those who are allergic to aspirin.

Ibuprofen is widely used for the relief of headache including migraine. It is also widely marketed as an analgesic agent (rather than as an anti-inflammatory) and is often used for general pain conditions including those that arise from various injuries (such as sporting injuries), illnesses (such as influenza, shingles, gout), and post-operative pain.

Preparations: Tablets of 200, 400, 600, and 800 mg; Chewable tablets of 50 and 100 mg; Capsules of 200 mg; Suspension of 100 mg/2.5 ml and 100 mg/5 ml; Oral drops of 40 mg/ml.

Storage: Ibuprofen should be stored at room temperature, between 15-30°C (59-86°F).

Prescribed For: Ibuprofen is used for the treatment of mild to moderate pain, inflammation and fever.

Dosing: For minor aches, mild to moderate pain, menstrual cramps and fever the usual adult dose is 200 or 400 mg every 4 to 6 hours. Arthritis is treated with 300 to 800 mg 3 or 4 times daily. When under the care of a physician, the maximum dose of ibuprofen is 3.2 g daily. Otherwise, the maximum dose is 1.2 g daily. Individuals should not use ibuprofen for more than 10 days for the treatment of pain or more than 3 days for the treatment of a fever unless directed by a physician.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 09-30-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    20 years as a nurse
    nuff said......

and by the way, Vicodin=Loratab different trademarks, same chemical make up.

Tylenol #3 containing codine is what you were probably thinking of MK.

Scott, lots of nice quotes but JP sprained his ankle, he didn't get arthritis. Big difference.

As for Pred., just about every GP and most Orthro's will perscribe it to QUICKLY reduce inflamation. The side effects are nil because you are weened off of it by the second week. Surgeons are against it because it slows the healing of tissue in the event they have to cut.

Ibuprofen
    Prescription: Motrin 1,200 to 3,200 mg per day in 3 or 4 doses
    Non–prescription: Advil, Motrin IB, Nuprin 200 to 400 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed, no more than 1,200 mg per day

source: arthritis.org

Manufacturers' Warnings In Clinical States: Ulceration, perforation and bleeding of the stomach, small intestine or large intestine, sometimes severe and occasionally fatal have been reported during therapy with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) including ibuprofen.

Dosage And Administration: Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis: The initial daily dosage in adults is 1 200 mg divided into 3 or 4 equal doses. Depending on the therapeutic response, the dose may be adjusted downward or upward. The daily dosage should not exceed 2 400 mg.

Maintenance therapy, once maximum response is obtained, will range from 800 to 1 200 mg per day.

Mild to moderate pain accompanied by inflammation or dysmenorrhea: 400 mg repeated as required every 4 to 6 hours. The daily dosage should not exceed 2 400 mg.

source: rxmed.com

Being a nurse, one would think that you would check Merck or the PDR instead of "answer.com".....mmmmmkay
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Hi Golden Tiger,

It is unnecessary to belittle the nursing profession or myself to make your point. Those who cannot formulate a reasoned argument frequently demonstrate their immaturity and lack of ability by reducing the discussion to ridicule. Let us not go there!

I am not going to play tit for tat games! I have years of experience with Motrin personally and clinically. My purpose here is to help Judge Pen with his injury by citing a method that is universally used by physical therapists and Doctors and one I have personally use numerous times for over 15 years. The second most frequently prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory is Naprosyn, another medication I have personal and clinical experience with. Naprosyn is also prescribed at higher than listed doses for its anti-inflammatory effects. I have never experienced the agony of any of the horrific side effects you mention nor have any of my patients. I have even taken them on an empty stomach. Side effects of most medications fall within a specific and small minority of the population. When they do occur another medication may be substituted.

The side effects you mentioned are very rare and primarily occur with long term use along with ingestion on an empty stomach or with individuals with pre-existing conditions such as stomach ulcers.

The most common use of Motrin is for pain, thus it is marketed for that purpose. Most information you find will discuss the over counter uses. You cleverly glossed over the fact it may be taken in doses up to 3.2 grams per day an assertion you claim WILL lead to gastric hemorrhage. My recommendation was limited to 2.4 grams per day for merely 10-14 days. Of course if gastric hemorrhage were a common side effect it could not be prescribed in such high dosages, especially to the elderly who would be most susceptible to gastric hemorrhage.

While the primary indication for such high doses is for arthritis, which by the way is a long term use, one secondary indication for Motrin is as a short term anti-inflammatory wherein it is most commonly prescribed for 10-14 days as I have indicated. I would not expect anyone without extensive personal or clinical experience to be aware to this fact which I why I have mentioned it here. You might consider it insider information. That is why you see the larger dosage listed under Prescriptions. I included the information to demonstrate that it CAN and IS given in the higher doses you have warned against. One may thus go to the doctor and pay $50-$100 for the appointment just to have him write a prescription for something you can get over the counter or you can just go down to the local drug store and purchase some and take it as I have indicated.

You are correct that Vicodin and Lortab are the same medication. They come in various dosages the most common is 5/500 which is 5mg Hydrocodone and 500mg Acetaminophen. A Tylenol #3 which is the most commonly prescribed form of Tylenol with codeine is 10mg Codeine and 300mg Acetaminophen. 15mg of Hydrocodone is generally considered to be equivalent to 10mg of morphine. However 15mg of Hydrocodone orally administered is considered to be equivalent to 100mg of codeine. I should have said that Lortab is a Tylenol #3 on steroids. I apologize for the error. I will not bicker about these figures for medications affect each individual differently and there is some variation within all populations.

Prednisone does have side effects even when it is titred down as is properly indicated. I will not list the possible side effects here. Anyone may look them up and I see it will only lead to a tit for tat conversation. However, prednisone is NEVER the first treatment of choice for ankle sprains. The treatment of choice is as I have indicated. If you don’t believe me just put ankle sprains in Google and see what you find. Or better yet put in a search for Prednisone and see how many times it is recommended for ankle sprains. Prednisone is indicated most commonly for severe and systemic inflammation, not sports injuries.

Do not expect any further posting from me on this thread. My advice is in response to a question posed by Judge Pen and not for the purpose of engaging in futile arguments!

Just use a heat pad and some pain reliever of your choice if the ankle is sprained. I wouldn't use ice. Ice makes everything worse, and more painful. Whenever I sprain an ankle I'm out for about a week and a half. But each person varies. Bottom line is just get a heat pad on it.
    Punching is loving.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Hey, I've got a sore hip and tendoitis in my shoulder! I've achieved Gimpness.

JP, I've got a lace up ankle brace sorta like this: http://www.muellersportsmed.com/laceupanklebrace.htm

I got it at a local drug store. It's a nice little support until you get your ankle back to full strength.
    I picked one up this weekend. I put ice and jow on it and kept it elevated in the evenings, but I was moving into my new home this weekend, so I had to stay on it to get the work done. It's feeling a lot better now. I should be 100% soon., but man it was scary the next day--couldn't put but a slight amount of weight on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    What do you mean by "landed wrong"? Were you thrown by someone or doing acrobatics?

You're not a kid anymore. You guys do internal too, right? I'd focus on repairing your joints and making everything strong. Health is most important. Than just train the important stuff. Leave the jumping and dangerous weapons (chain whips, etc) for the kids man.
    I was working on a fight routine with me teacher for a upcoming demonstration.

Yes we do internal too. But I like the jumping and dangerous weapons. It's all part of what we do. Different strokes for different folks.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

As for the anti-inflammatories, I've been using Aleve. It seems to be working fine.

If I were you JP, I'd rub in some Huo Luo (Wood Lock) oil 3x a day. That's what I should be doing to my jammed thumb right now, but I don't feel like getting those vapors all over my keyboard (that stuff smells strong!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.