Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secrecy and Discipleship in America

Secrecy and Discipleship in America

In my 20+ years of training Praying Mantis Kung Fu nothing has been a greater source of frustration than secrecy.

Secrecy, and discipleship, to which it is closly linked, were more relevant in the old days, when money wasn't as much of a factor.

Today, kung fu masters move into the United States eager to "spread their knowledge of martial arts." In English this usually translates seek recognition and financial gain.

This is fine...after all America is the land of opportunity.

The problem arises when even after becoming a disciple, there is no guarantee a student will learn what initially led him to the style.

If the "master" does not feel a student is subservient enough, feels intimidated by his skill, or suddenly feels he is not making enough money, the "master can deny that the student ever trained with him.

This means a student can spend thousands of dollars, and countless hours learning a system only to find himself on the outside looking in.

A "master" may even go to great lengths to discredit a student in a community of like minded "masters" with similar agendas.

The American psyche is filled with brazen images young Caine sitting outside the Shaolin temple showing his dedication to learn, and upon acceptance, irrevocable respect for his master.

I guess they most have deleted the scene where Caine, standing in a horse stance, paying $100 per hour for private instruction, pulls out a wad of green backs from his wallet to hand over to his teacher.

The best kept secret in Praying Mantis Kung Fu...If your master isn't teaching you what you want, and are paying to learn, find someone who will.

If he insists on traditional training, tell him you want to pay traditional fees.

Dr. George Lisjak

Great post!

I couldn't agree with you more. You spelled out my thoughts completely..

I had the same experiance with my monk teachers. That might be why I had 3 over the last 7 years! The best part is you leave thinking "it must be me". Meanwhile it's them!

Great post!

My teacher has told me many times that the secrecy means power. People love to have that control and power over another human.

There have been certain things that I have wanted to learn and my teacher has told me no. Not because of money but because I had not laid down the foundation work needed to do what I asked. I am sure when I do the training that needs to be done I will get what I am ready for when I ask.

I also find it funny how the chinese reading and speaking non chinese hold it over peoples head for power. Just because they can read it they have something over you.

Thank God Mr. 108 is not like this. He translates everything I ask, even the stupid stuff Mr. Brazier is very helpfull also.

We cant just say the master who came from China is doing this. The Americans have picked up on it and perfected it.

I feel that the whole kung fu "family" thing is set up for control. You cant go against the "family", especialy not your "father". There are organizations out there other than TCMA using the "family" concept.

I think that most of the secrets of a good style are taught within the first year or so. Most just do not realize it. They are to busy looking for the silver bullet.

Good post. It seems you have had the same experience as many others. We can just let the bad experiences make us stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mantid1
    There have been certain things that I have wanted to learn and my teacher has told me no. Not because of money but because I had not laid down the foundation work needed to do what I asked.
    Your teacher values the quality of your education over his own pocketbook.

I am sure when I do the training that needs to be done I will get what I am ready for when I ask.
    More than likely, your teacher will have been observing you closely, and you will not even have to ask.

I think that most of the secrets of a good style are taught within the first year or so. Most just do not realize it. They are to busy looking for the silver bullet.
    There is A LOT of truth to that idea. The real secret is that THERE IS NO SECRET.

Those that have little knowledge or are mainly interested in financial gain, hide behind secrecy. They use tradition as their excuse, and give tradition a bad name.

A good traditional teacher practically force feeds the information to his student. As the student improves his understanding, the teacher pushes him even more. Unfortunately, the student can only understand so much at one time. And some, never do understand. Some of the ones that don't understand, will fault secrecy and tradition out of sour grapes.

One of the best things to hear from a student is, "You showed me this 2 years ago, and I thought I knew it. Now I really understand." An even better thing is when the student says, "I thought I knew the first time, then I thought I REALLY understood the second time, but now I see there's even more to it!" At some point, he will learn that he never stops learning

N.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanmantis
    If he insists on traditional training, tell him you want to pay traditional fees.
    Some very good teachers make this arrangement. The only payment they request is the student's blood and sweat.

N.

I agree with everything that's been said but what I want top know is Where are the teachers that accept hard work for payment?

All I ever find are the guys that want a lot of money.

I think they're all just looking to get rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    I agree with everything that's been said but what I want top know is Where are the teachers that accept hard work for payment?

All I ever find are the guys that want a lot of money.

I think they're all just looking to get rich.
    There are some in the San Francisco area.

N.

btw, your Infinite Monkey Boxing is #1

Ou Ji

I think that there should be a balance. If you find a guy who doesnt require payment in money they obviously have another job or are indepently wealthy.

I teach full time and do not have another job. I have to pay rent, electric, water and everything else that goes along with running a school. I pay for those expensive mats that my students fall on during san shou.

I bought the extras sticks and staffs that my kids practice with because their parents cannot afford one. After they drop them off in their $35,000 SUV.

The ones in their 20's use my san shou gear because they cant afford it. Just before they walk out of the school in the $50 tennis shoes and listen to one of their 75 $20 CD's on their way to buy a bag of dope or drink all night.

I dont make people sign contracts. When they come 3 months without paying then just stop all together without paying what they owe, I picked up the tab.

I dont raise rates with existing students. The kid who still pays $40 a month just drops in and out every soccer season with out even a word. Then he just shows up and may pay the $40 after he has been back a month or so.

I do not do the colored belt sysem. So with my cheap tuition and minus the "belt testing fees" My students who pay the higher rate still pay $40 less a month than the students of the local Korean Karate schools.

I dedicate my whole day to training and my students are able to recieve very high level training and information because of my hard work. I have worked full time and taught part time. I know for a fact that I can give a much better education than I did when I was working full time and teaching part time. I am not one of the full time guys who lay around in their office talking philosophy (BSing on the phone) and let my students do all of the teaching. I teach the majority of my classes.

I think it is very hard to find an honest Teacher who has his students best interest at heart. Or who actually trains. Many are lazy.

I think it is just as if not harder to find a good student. I have come to the conclusion I will probably not be able to find a student who can absorb the amount of information I have to offer. Whether it is free or not.

The funny thing is that is what my teacher probably thinks the same of me

Not directed at you, just saw my chance to blow off some steam.

Thanks

....one last thing, why am I ALWAYS THE LAST PERSON THEY PAY EVERY MONTH?

they didnt have a problem paying the guy for the tattoo or the guy selling them the tennis shoes.

Mantid1 is hardcore, and he has a nice setup.

N.

Thanks N

I just try to live up to my teachers example. I dont think I can come close.

Ill have alot of fun trying

Americanmantis,
    Great post , very well put . It does make one think .
    more sweat in training , less blood in combat

Hi George,

Good to see you back. Hope all is well with you.

Warm regards

Robert
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ****, mantid1, sounds like we have the same students.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

OSO

WHAT!!! I cant believe it!!! Now they are training behind my back with you.

I knew it!!

I wondered why their kung fu was improving so much.