Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Order Cardio then weights or

Order Cardio then weights or

cardio then weights or weights then cardio?

why?

or is splitting it up between both good?

opinions welcomed, thanks
    Bless you

ITs easy to lift first.

I've heard that the order in which you do them influences your body's reaction to training (i.e., bulking up vs. burning off), but I can't verify this.
    I like to start with cardio, as it gets the whole body warmed up and thus makes other exercise less likely to cause injury, as well as making further exercise more of a challenge on the muscles.
    ~H

Hi bohitree,

Do what you want or need the most first.

If you wish to work on your strength primarily then always lift first.

Another option is to do cardio in the morning and the weights in the evening. Both will take something out of the other. So you would perform longer, easier cardio while you focus on increasing your strength or lighter less intense weight training while you focus on your cardio.

I recommend you cycle your program. As your weights increase, temporarily reduce your caridio intensity. The rule of thumb is: As the intensity of one goes up the intensity of the other goes down. A possible cycle is to spend 3 months light cardio/heavy weights then 3 months heavy cardio/light weights.

Good Luck!!

Weights first.

Lifting after you do cardio can be dangerous, and you won't be able to lift as much.

Or, you can do them on seperate days.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown
    Hi bohitree,

Do what you want or need the most first.

If you wish to work on your strength primarily then always lift first.

Another option is to do cardio in the morning and the weights in the evening. Both will take something out of the other. So you would perform longer, easier cardio while you focus on increasing your strength or lighter less intense weight training while you focus on your cardio.

I recommend you cycle your program. As your weights increase, temporarily reduce your caridio intensity. The rule of thumb is: As the intensity of one goes up the intensity of the other goes down. A possible cycle is to spend 3 months light cardio/heavy weights then 3 months heavy cardio/light weights.

Good Luck!!
    Pretty good advise.

I've never heard of lifting after cardio being dangerous. Care to elaborate?
    ~H

Weight Training after Cardio Training is not dangerous!

I have done it for years and so do Boxers, Runners, Swimmers, Cross Country Skiers, etc. They may wait some hours between training modalities, but all aerobically focused sports athletes center their training around the Cardio Training and use Weight Training as a support or adjunct form of training.

are you sure kids?

i swear i have always heard that weights should be done after cardio, always.
    especially as cardio gets the body warm as well, the other way round seems, well, unorthodox.
    hza
    ''whatever happens is supposed to happen- ''
    Harry Davis
    www.kamonwingchun.com

Hi hazhardy,

There is really no hard rule about it! Many people will do 15 minutes of light cardio before they lift weights for the reason you specify. But it is not really necessary. I have been training for over 30 years and many times I will weight train with out any type of cardio warm up.

If an individual is intending to train for maximum strength then they would want to limit their cardio training. Too much aerobic activity will reduce your maximum strength level. The body uses different types of muscle fibers for each activity and the body only has so much energy for recovery. That is why it is important to cycle training so one is never training to their maximum effort at all times. This leads to over training and is detrimental to improving performance.

Thumbs up fitness

i do mostly calistenics and i find i get both at the same time iv got many friends that are personal trainers and ofcourse they reconmend a warmup before weights but most feel that if ur doin a decent hardworkout splitting the two is good when it comes to free wheights etc its good for the body to have a recovery period so no muscle group is injured depends on u though u find what works for u
    I do conditioning one day and techniques the next it works for me

When i say cardio, i'm not talking about a warmup. I mean intense cardio or interval training.

Thanks for the imput everyone.
    Bless you

Depends on personal preference.

Physiologically it makes more sense to lift first, but if you can't do cardio after you lift, then do what works for you.

I switch it up, one workout weights first then cardio, another cardio then weights. Cardio does dramatically effect your ability to lift, especially within an hour period.

Ford,
    that is the way I've been doing it. It made sense to me that way, i just wanted to hear what works for others. Blake, good idea also.
    Bless you