Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katana VS Broad Sword

Question Katana VS Broad Sword

OK just for kicks. Samari with Katana VS Shaloin Monk with Broad Sword. Who wins and why?
    -------------------------I am fortunate to have a teacher to correct my foolish ways......Qiman

here we go
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Here's something that boggles the mind: why would a monk be carrying a sword? isn't that against the whole "thou shall not take the life of a living creature" thing?

In any case, I say the samurai. Since the monks that went to fight the Japanese pirates in Ming dynasty were wiped out by the samurais then.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

My mate Steve's flat. I sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor.
    It's a good question but you haven't looked at the issue of what katana was used. If Judo Katana then Samurai, but if some lame katana that someone like Bodhitree would use then Shaolin Monk.

Very spiritual post, well done.

easy

the one who hast the most skill on the day.

God these questions are lame!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

I'd say the broad sword would win. My daughter watches alot of anime, and in one of her cartoons a charecter caries a Katana, but every time it it gets serious, and he fights it magically transforms into a broad sword, so broad swords must be superior.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Seriously, I think this one has an answer. The Katana is vastly superior technology. All else being equal, Katana would win. Its like a rifle versus musket.

What is so superior about a Katana? It's all just sharpened metal in the end.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    What is so superior about a Katana? It's all just sharpened metal in the end.
    Yeah! But its really really sharp!!!

Or should I say, "Really, really, really sharp!!!"

And it has a pointy tip too that can be used for jabbing!!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 10-02-2005 at 02:27 AM.

As Katana technology reached it's peak around the 1600s, and the Dao we generally use today was designed in the early to mid 1800s, the rifle and musket analogy is somewhat off. Indeed, metallurgical questions aside, as a piece of weapon design the dao has many advantages, being faster and having more weight at the cutting area. It's also better for thrusting and more manouverable.
    I think we need to get away from the 80s cult of the Katana, and recognise that western and Chinese sword technologies were every bit as advanced (indeed, between 1870 and 1930 the japanese actually used western style swords, it was the iconic nature of the Katana that saw it re-introduced with the rise of Japanese nationalism).
    Lets not forget that Liu Yun Qiao killed a Japanese swordsmaster armed with a Jian
    GFX, that is a myth.
    At the end of the day, armed fights are highly unpredictable, and a piece of wet ground can be more decisive than skill.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

My mate Steve's flat. I sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor.
    The thing about Judo Katana is it takes the best things from the China and makes them really cool. Judo Katana is easily the best for that reason.

Mega_Fisting
    MMA Willowsword is much more realistic. Other swords would be tapped out shortly after being unsheathed, especially Judo Katana.

Little known fact:

Chuck Liddel trained in MMA Willowsword techniques before his fight with Tito Ortiz and we all know the results. They transfer quite well to empty hand fighting. And guess who he learned these techniques from?

Yep, Randy Couture.

Last edited by Ou Ji; 10-02-2005 at 08:08 AM.

The thing about Judo Katana is it takes the best things from the China and makes them really cool. Judo Katana is easily the best for that reason.

Reply]
    No, not really. They just created cheap copies of the Chinese's Taiji broad sword and passed it off as thier own.

http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-60kk.html

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well if we were honest with ourselves, we must admit that it is much better to be COOL than uncool!!

Cuz all the COOL guys get the chicks!!!

It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how cool you look when fighting.

Everyonw knows that.