Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon "The Truth" Vera Wins!

Brandon "The Truth" Vera Wins!

I'd like to issue a congratulations to my former teammate (I moved to SF and I am now training with Carlos Sapao of Ralph Gracie) and occasional training partner, Brandon Vera.

Brandon was a nationally ranked Greco-Roman wrestler, is a BJJ brown belt, and **** good on his feet. Tonight, he beat Fabiano Scherner, a BJJ Black Belt World Champion and Abu Dhabi Submission Tournament Invitee in the 2nd round of a UFC live event. The winning shot was a knee to the chin.

Brandon is a great guy with tremendous heart. Although he was outweighed by nearly 30 lbs, that doesn't tell the whole story - Brandon usually competes at about 200-210. Tonight, he competed at 220 against a 250 lbs monster - no fat, just muscle.

It was clear that Scherner was giving him all he could handle, muscle and weight wise, but Brandon's ability in the clinch, and his experience reversing takedowns in transition (it's a touch fall in international style wrestling - no count) really pulled him through. For the most part, Scherner was unable to control the clinch game and could not take Brandon down.

Kudos. Lloyd has been excited about this for awhile and I know Brandon was super excited to get this fight, even though it was out of his weight class.

Cheers all.

James
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Very Nice! I wish I could have seen it; that's exactly the kind of fighting I enjoy the most. Congrates to your training partner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Congrats.

I'm way out of the loop for the live UFC stuff (something about leaving the house by 8 and not getting back to it for 11 hours) was this on pay per view?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Nope Oso, the event is still on Spike TV right now.

Becca, I love your quotation/sig at the bottom. The thing I treasure from my time at Lloyd's is that he taught me how to train. Nobody can take that from me. Once you learn to learn - that's something that's yours forever.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

dangit, i keep forgetting about that show. i caught the tail end of last season.

it's on at 11pm here and I'm usually in bed.

so, did he get a contract?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

That's the one fight I missed while giving my daughter a bath.

Props to your boy.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

You!

Email me!

Now!
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

What the hell's this got to do with kung fu!!!???

Oh the irony...

Congrats to your stablemate!

Oso,

He wasn't on the Ultimate Fighter Reality Show. He was on a live broadcast of UFC fights on a Monday night - like having Friday Night Fights on ESPN.

Thumbs up

It was a great fight.

'grats..

strike!

hunh, missed that. is it on ESPN..friday night I can stay up late...momma let's me

crap, misread that...still mondays...any earier than 11pm and what channel please?

SPIKE TV, and I think it started at 9pm eastern.

Spike is programming challenged so I'm sure that they'll replay it...

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    SPIKE TV, and I think it started at 9pm eastern.

Spike is programming challenged so I'm sure that they'll replay it...
    They replayed it last night right before thier regular replay of The Ultinate Fighter 2.

FYI, Spike Plays each episode of TUF2 3 times a week. Here in Colorado, it's on at 8pm Monday, 9pm Thursday, and again at 9pm Saturday.

And that was a great friggin' fight! The first one of the "night" was good, as well. Josh Koscheck owned his opponant all three rounds. Then 30 seconds to the bell of the third round he ducks in for a shoot and runs right into a knee strike that had probably been intended for is gut. It knocks him right to the ground where that Jason Whats-his-name puts a rear naked choke on him. Kudos for Josh- the man did not tap; he kept fighting it untill he passed out.

The middle two fights were not bad, but about average.

That last one (Vera's fight) was a clasic David and Goliath match. Scherner was so day-gome much bigger and more experienced, you almost felt sorry for Vera. Right up to the time they actually started fighting. Very exiting fight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Great fight. Props to Vera, showed a lot of confidence and grit against a monster.
    That guy was huge man!
    I was really impressed with Vera's ring generalship. He really dictated
    where and how the match went and looked comfortable at all ranges.

Those were all pretty good fights, props to Vera.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread