Thread: Mike Tyson's training under Cus

Mike Tyson's training under Cus

This is something I found on the web:

Daily Regime (7 days a week):

5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog

6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great
    workout for those huge legs of his)

10am wake up: eat oatmeal

12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)

2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit
    juice drink)

3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike
    (again working those huge legs for endurance)

5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500
    shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck
    exercises

7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice
    (orange I think it was)

8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
    then watch TV and then go to bed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Before jogging in the morning he did a lot of stretching followed by 10 jumps onto boxes and 10 bursts of sprints, then he went jogging. At 12pm he sparred. At 3pm he did focus mitt work or heavy bag work inside the ring. He warmed up for all ring work with light exercises such as skipping or shadow boxing or speed ball.

At 5pm Tyson did 10 quick circuits, each circuit consisting of: 200 sit-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 press-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 shrugs, followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor. What an animal! Tyson said that the shrugs "built his
    shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck. It should be noted though that Tyson couldn't do any more than 50 sit-ups a day and 50 press-ups a day
    when he was 13, but gradually increasing the reps each week got him to a higher level over many years, so that he was doing 2000 sit-ups inside 2 hours every
    day by the time he was 20.)

Mike told Ian Darke (Sky commentator) his above workout regime when he visited England to watch a Frank Bruno fight in March 1987. Durke told Mike that Bruno trained like a bodybuilder and asked Mike about this, but Mike said that floor exercises and natural exercises work better. Mike explained that his punch-power comes from nothing more than heavy bag work "works your strength through the hips" he said, despite doing shrugs with a barbell he said that lifting weights has about as much resemblance to punching as "cheesecake" (contradicting himself though due to doing shrugs). But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally
    anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge! Also, Cus used to order Tyson to go jog 3 miles with 50lbs on his back because he didn't want Mike growing any taller (because it didn't suit his style)!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Lightweight.

But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally
    anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge!
    Whats the purpose of this? I thought when you are hitting a heavy bag you aren't trying to get it to move, so adding weight is redundant.

Anyone here done this before?(Adding weight to the punching bag progressively)

Who told you you don't want the bag to move? You want it to fold, but before that happens you gotta learn to hit it hard enough to move it. Only powder-puff punches fail to move a heavy bag unless you're making it double up (no easy task).

c'mooooon... you know his real workout...

Daily Regime (7 days a week):

5am: get up, take a leak, and nail 3 hoes...(great workout for those huge uhhhhhh legs of his)

6am: take cheque drops, winstrol, then shower and go back to bed

10am wake up: eat oatmeal, drink a 40, nail another ho, cheque drops, and deca.

12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring, 2 rounds of eating children, 3 rounds of flipping out on reporters)

2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink), nail some more hoes, cheque drops, dinabol, and beat up old men for their social security checks.

3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the circuit of hoes and flipping out on camera crews.
    (again working that huge hiney for endurance)

5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises

7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange I think it was), cheque drops, and clenbuterol. Answer phone call from accountant. Get ticked off at Don King, but blame whitey.

8pm-1am: Get credit extended at all night shops catering to the "businessman w/beeper" . Roam the landscape for willing hoes and camera crews. Oh yeah, don't forget to look for old men and little foreign guys to kick in the nutz and steal their paychex. *sigh* So many balls to kick in, so little time....

(special thanks to martinburke from the underground for some inspiration)
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Who told you you don't want the bag to move? You want it to fold, but before that happens you gotta learn to hit it hard enough to move it. Only powder-puff punches fail to move a heavy bag unless you're making it double up (no easy task).
    Ah, that makes sense! I don't train with a heavy bag very often, so I guess I didnt really know.
    Last edited by _William_; 10-06-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Mike Tyson likes teh cheque drops. They're like one of the most androgenic substances there is.
    Last edited by IronFist; 10-06-2005 at 08:28 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Wow, that's a nice workout ... I'll implement that in my own training ... soon as I lose 20 pounds, get a thorough and comprehensive physical exam and ....
    Familiarity breeds contempt.