Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push, Cover, Nail, Dig...etc.

Blog Entries

Push, Cover, Nail, Dig...etc.

Based on the convo in another thread between Sow Choy and myself I thought we could discuss the different types of palm techniques.

The ones that appear in our form are:

-Teui Jeung-push palm
    -Palm-down Chaan Jeung-digging palm
    -Palm-up Chaan Jeung -"
    -Kong Jeung-attacking palm
    -Kaam Jeung-cover palm
    -Pau Jeung-Up Palm

Anyone know the difference between Push Palm and Digging Palm? Anyone know the difference between Kong Jeung and Pau Jeung?

I have also heard of Deng Jeung but I'm not sure how that fits in our terminology.

Other palm techniques?

...lets see, in our school we use kong jeung in an upward angle. to strike the neck/throat, can also be used to knock over/ sweep someone over your leg. (backwards).by sliding one leg behind them, and then kong jeung to the throat! im pretty sure the pau jeung is also a palm strike but to the stomach,chest,or rib.but both would have the fingers pointing outward. does that sound right?

Kong Juerng and Pow Jeurng both are upward palming strikes going typically for the throat area. Kong Jeurng is a double technique whereas Pow Jeurng is a single hand technique.

Deng Jeurng or Nail Palm is similar to chang jeurng with the chang jeurng typically coming from the side and deng coming more straight ahead.

We also use gong jeurng, which is seen in Plum Flower, the 3 block strike combos towards the end.

A don't forget yum jeurng to hit the younger brother.

kong!

hey clfnole! so the kong is double because of the block that comes first? and no block for pow, but maybe still gaurding hand near ribs instead of overhead?
    Last edited by fu jow; 10-11-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Fu Jow:

Yeah the kong jeurng is the double technique scene in many of the LKH sets most notably in ping kuen. The pow jeurng typically has the non-striking/palming hand covering around the under arm.

ohkeedokee. that makes sense. we do use kong jueng alot....its a good one.thanks.

Fu Pow,

Toi Jerng we also use for the palms in Buddha palm or Serng Toi, like in Ping Kuen...

Another one from Buddha Palm is Paut meen Jerng, will have to ask about that translation...

Cum Jerng I have also herad as Gum Sao, as in Mahn Ji Kuen...

Kong Jerng in mahn Ji Kuen looks just like Hung Ga, (one hand with fingers up and the under underneath with the fingers pointed down)

Don't forget the Dahn La, edge of the palm, like at the end of all the LKH forms...

Joe

Joe, I think the section in mahn gee kuen you are talking about is called wu dip jeurng or butterfly palm.

CLFNole,

Butterfly Palm I only have heard of as on the waist... also called Kwan Sao, twisting hands...

The section I am talking about is kay lun ma, kwan sao or wu dip jerng, kong jerng...

It could have several names... Maybe 10 Tigers knows the name or any other Hung brothers...

That Mahn Ji Kuen has such a Hung flavor...

Joe

From what I know the hung players call it butterfly palm. We call it the same when we bring it in but I think they take it a step further by striking with it in the same position, whereas we open it up into kong juerng. I believe one of the hung gar lines as a form called wu dip jeurng.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 10-12-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yeppers like peppers! wu dip jeong, sometimes lien wan dip jeong, too many applications, sometimes I think it comprises the entire system! We use it with the kay lin bo, and also in cat stance into bow stance, very versitile technique.
    Can't help but laugh when I see karotty guyz close their fists when they do it. Closed fist is like a closed mind.

10 Tiigers,

Do you know if there is a different name for the butterfly palm while drawn in at the waist as compared to the actual strike?

And also is there a poetic name for this move or sucession of moves?

I really enjoyed the article Martha Burr wrote on the many poetic names in Hung Ga that are given to the moves or sucession of moves... Interesting how they are given and at times can help to see the feeling of the movement...

Thanks, and BTW your website is down unless I have the wrong web address...

Joe

Sow Choy:

I think when we bring it into the waist and call it "wu dip jeurng" it is actually incorrect and should be "sheung kwun sow". The reason being it is not a palming technique at all but rather an arm trapping technique.

I think the "wu dip jeurng" terminology we use stems from the relationship between CLF and Hung Gar sifus since we do tend to share certain terms.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    Sow Choy:

I think when we bring it into the waist and call it "wu dip jeurng" it is actually incorrect and should be "sheung kwun sow". The reason being it is not a palming technique at all but rather an arm trapping technique.

I think the "wu dip jeurng" terminology we use stems from the relationship between CLF and Hung Gar sifus since we do tend to share certain terms.

Peace.
    This is how Mak Sifu calls it. Kwan Sau or "Tie Up Hands."

BTW, is this the character for Kong that we are referring to....

http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin...tonese,english

It doesn't seem very informative.

Sooooo many different names. . . .

Can't we just call it "palm strikes and palm blocks?"