twktcc Guest

Moxibustion ?

Help !!! What is this ? :)
    I am TCMly challenged !
    Thanks !
    Dave

Remember to be self- centered but not selfish

woliveri Guest
    Moxibustion or Moxa Sticks contain an herb (forget the name). It is lit like a cigar and applied to a proper point. It is used to tonify areas of depletion or lack of excess (forgive me I'm a hobbyist not a doctor of Chinese Med). As far as I know you would not want to use it in the case of vacuity of that particular organ. For example, in the case of Liver Yin vacuity you would not want to apply Moxibustion to a liver channel as it would make the condition worse. In that case you would probably look for the cause of the Liver Yin vacuity (blockage or Stomach and Spleen not functioning properly) and fix the problem there. Again, anyone please correct and expand on this.

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
    By Baird T. Spalding

rubber legs Guest

moxibustion

What is smokeless moxibustion and joss sticks?

Moxa and Moxibustion

Just recentrly started to learn about this. What are your experiences with it?

First time I brought it home my mum though I was taking drugs. Took a while to convince her otherwise.

Hmm

Well its u7sed for warming and Tonifying in Chinese Medicine and go stimulate movement of qi.
    I use it everyday on Zu san-li.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Moxibustion

I've been using moxi rolls for strained tendons, muscles, knee pains, etc. for two years. I was wondering how the healing works with these, is it the heat or the herbs? Has anyone else used it? Thanks for any input.

Warren

You shouldn't moxibust. You can go blind, and it depletes your chi.

What is that? Is that that candle thing they put in your ears? I heard that's bad.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

You should put this in the TCM section
    But Moxibustion is from the TCM practise of burning dried Mugwort(artemesia vulgaris) 艾 on merdian points usually in either a compacted cone placed on a slice of ginger over the point or by directing a stick of moxa at the point.
    Like acupunture it is used to stimulate the merdian flow.
    It has nothing to do with Ear candling
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Warren

Yes I use moxa treatment with good results. And I have not gone blind. What a stupid comment.

The moxa stick is primarily used to treat a deficiency of yang energy in the body. It is yang energy that governs movement and warmth, and a deficiency of yang results in cold symptoms. The burning of moxa is believed to expel cold and warm the meridians, which leads to smoother flow of blood and Qi. It should not be used on anyone diagnosed with too much heat.

Burning moxa has a distinct odor,which some people find relaxing. The essential oils in moxa have a significant effect, as a type of aroma therapy or medicinal incense. Mugwort has a good reputation as a plant that keeps evil away.

Have your Acupuncturist assist you with your home treatment. You kind of need to heat the correct spot ya know what I mean. Good luck
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

For people that moxibust too often, sometimes they give them Salt Peter and it slows them down.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was lead to believe it was a combination of herbs and heat that helped relieve sore muslces and strained joints. I had no idea it was related to meridans. Those clever Chinese, always something extra! j/k

Thanks,
    Warren

ttt 4 2016!

Stephen Cho
    August 08, 2016
    Infrared Laser Moxibustion Safe and Efficacious for Improving Cancer-related Fatigue

Infrared laser moxibustion may be safe and efficacious for improving cancer-related fatigue.

Infrared laser moxibustion may be safe and efficacious for improving cancer-related fatigue, according to a Chinese population study published in Cancer.1

Researchers led by Huijuan Mao, MD, PhD, of the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine conducted a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of 61 patients with cancer, each of whom were diagnosed with cancer-related fatigue, to evaluate the preliminary efficacy and safety of 10.6-μm infrared laser moxibustion.

Patients treated with infrared laser moxibustion received the treatment on the ST36 (bilateral), CV4, and CV6 acupoints, while the other group received the same treatment on the same acupoints but without infrared laser output.

Outcome was change in fatigue as measured by the Chinese version of the Brief Fatigue Inventory between the groups at week 4, with additional evaluation at week 8 for the durability of treatment effects.

Those treated with the laser had significantly less fatigue than those in the non-laser output group. Improvement in fatigue was found to have persisted to week 8, with favorability toward the laser moxibustion group.

The laser moxibustion treatment was found to be safe, with 3 cases of mild local erythema that resolved without medical intervention.

Reference

Mao H, Mao JJ, Guo M, et al. Effects of infrared laser moxibustion on cancer-related fatigue: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Cancer. 2016 Aug 2. doi: 10.1002/cncr.30189 [Epub ahead of print]
    There may be a better moxibustion thread to post this on...I should merge all the moxibustion threads together some day...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart