Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis wore patches on his gi.

Elvis wore patches on his gi.

We all know that some arts love to put patches on their uniforms. Mainly kenpo, TKD and karate people (like Elvis). What I want to know is who started this? My guess is, and I'm totally speculating, is that some military people who learned martial arts overseas started the idea of patches since it dovetailed in with their military uniform traditions. Am I off base here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

From the looks of SD, it was a Shaolin tradition preserved by Ie Ching Men.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    From the looks of SD, it was a Shaolin tradition preserved by Ie Ching Men.
    It's Ie Chang Ming.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Interesting question. Never really thought about it but I had a patch or two back in my old karate days mid '70s into the '80s. I got that from my first teacher.

I also went to a school once where the instructors didn't wear belts, just an instructor patch on their uniform.

Bikers like to do the patch thing too. I was confused back then and wore a large Kenpo patch on the back of my sleeveless denim jacket while riding. Not that I was looking to start any fights or anything.

The cool thing was that Elvis has a patch of himself on his Gi. Ed parker had to love that one.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Ed didn't care as long as Elvis kept paying for those private lessons. When you go to Graceland, they have Elvis' gi on display and a little video of Elvis doing some karate and breaking bricks. Too funny.

Patchs r gay. So are men who wear earings. Or any peicring for that matter. By gay I mean way out of style.

Yeah but when you're as old as I am you just wait it out until it's back in style again. Believe me everything comes back in sooner or later.

ED, this is the second time your comment mentioned Elvis in the present tense. You know something we don't?

Actually it could have come from beating the crap out of your gi and not having the money to buy a new one.

I still have my last gi and it's pretty ragged. Sleeves torn off from the throws, the little ties ripped off. I have a dragon patch holding the bottom of one legs seam together. Ahh the memories, the bruises, the blood.

We got your patches right here

Patches

I've always found tha patch phenomena interesting. The whole point of uniforms in the martial arts is to eliminate ego and identity, to make every one equal. Somewhere along the line, someone thought that was too bland and started adding patches to show affiliation and rank. It just spiralled out from there, I imagine. You don't see patches so much on traditional uniforms, but then again, patches were a lot harder to make back in the day. Perhaps you're right about the military thing, Judge Pen, but the patches today are so ridiculous.

You know what? I have a bag of absolutely hideous TKD patches right behind me that I was going to throw away. If you send me a SASE, I'll send you one.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Ed Parker's organization has several patches they wear on their uniforms-the Kenpo Patch, the Universal pattern, the international kenpo karate assn, the international kenpo tournament,and sometimes the Flag.
    I also like to wear about six patches on my uniform-but they're all eye patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    Patchs r gay. So are men who wear earings. Or any peicring for that matter. By gay I mean way out of style.
    I used to wear an eyebrow ring.

It got ripped out.

I used to wear an ear ring. It got totally squished during a wrestling match and I was afraid it would get ripped out the next time. Now I don't have any piercings.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    Ed Parker's organization has several patches they wear on their uniforms-the Kenpo Patch, the Universal pattern, the international kenpo karate assn, the international kenpo tournament,and sometimes the Flag.
    I also like to wear about six patches on my uniform-but they're all eye patches.

Dude! you have six eyes?

<Ok, I'm in one of those moods today.>
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

yes Elvis is alive.... I saw him eating breakfast at the golden griddle in Whichita Kansas.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    The PATCH of ALL PATCHES:

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp...egory_rn=13947

rendering all patches inferior!!
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy