Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elvis wore patches on his gi.

Patches are definitely tied to the military beginnings of the asian martial arts in the Western mind.

It's an american thing.

First formal and recognized martial arts practice from asian source in the us was with the US air force in the mid 1950's. Karate and Judo was brought into the training regimens of airmen.

It's equally an american thing to be preoccupied with status and rank in no matter what field. Especially in martial arts where we see familial titles used as ranks now instead of simple denotations of family members.

IE: Sifu has come to be a rank in a great many peoples outlook. Si Hing is a rank and so on. Even in other asian martial arts, this is teh way in the americas and teh west in general. Now China's into it too! With the duan system! Although, the intention is different in some respects.

Anyway, the Nascar Gi's we all see all patched up with props to your momma embalzoned across your back and so on is a totally american thing.

I personally think they're goofy, but whatever floats yer boat I guess.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yutyess sam,
    LOL the grandmaster patch! hillirious... good find.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I too had an eyering once in 1993. It also was ripped out. Looked cool for a while. It just seems so played out when I see them now. At the time no one had them. Everyone used to ask me the same question"did that hurt?"

Eyerings and such are just targets in a fight. It's like long hair, doesn't go well with fighting no matter how cool it looks.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

I had 8 earrings in my left ear and one in my nipple for the entire 6 years I spent bouncing redneck bars/clubs. Never once had them pulled or grabbed in the many, many altercations I was involved in.

Now I have two standard earrings and one large gauge (I can put a bic pen through it) in my left ear and a matching large gauge piercing in my right. I've not gotten in any fights since then, but if someone ever ripped out one of my piercings, they best follow it up with something that knocks me out, cause I'll be right ****ed

Just to note... I don't train with the large gauge piercings in... but when they're that big, they just slide out realy quick and easy anyway
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

The eyebrow ring wasn't ripped out in a fight. It was ripped out in a Bungee Run accident.

Still left me with blood all over my face though.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    Patchs r gay. So are men who wear earings. Or any peicring for that matter. By gay I mean way out of style.
    its kinda funny that men have been wearing earings for thousands of years, and now its out of style...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Talking

Hua Tien, I wouldn;t rip those out, I'd just chase you with a magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    We all know that some arts love to put patches on their uniforms. Mainly kenpo, TKD and karate people (like Elvis). What I want to know is who started this? My guess is, and I'm totally speculating, is that some military people who learned martial arts overseas started the idea of patches since it dovetailed in with their military uniform traditions. Am I off base here?
    Aren't there patches on GM The's and Master Hiang's paintings and pictures from when they were young over in Indonesia? So they go back to at least then..... But I think you're rightaboutthe military origin idea.
    "Let's get the hell out of here" - J. T. Kirk. in City on the Edge of Forever

"you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?" Harry Callahan

"Mens Sana In Corpore Sano"

Follow the advice of Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly, but carry a big stick".

"Regulate the breath, and thereby control the mind."
    -- B.K.S. Iyengar

*Hack* *Cough* *Hack*

I'm choking on the dust you stirred up when you revived this thread.....

Where'd you find it? Was it buried with the WMD's?

HaHA! I was looking up info on Ed Parker and his American Kenpo, and saw an SD reference in the thread about patches....one thing led to another..**** tangents!
    "Let's get the hell out of here" - J. T. Kirk. in City on the Edge of Forever

"you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?" Harry Callahan

"Mens Sana In Corpore Sano"

Follow the advice of Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly, but carry a big stick".

"Regulate the breath, and thereby control the mind."
    -- B.K.S. Iyengar

**** that Ed Parker.....don't know why SD gets caught up in that crap..........

I guess it's the haters who think SD looks like Kempo....which it doesn't.....

Funny though, how you can have conversations that travel in time......

I want one with the American flag and Jesus throwing a reverse punch on it.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

Then another one where it shows him ripping the heart out of the guy he just punched, saying "This is the body, beeyatch!"

Then another one where he puts it back in the chest, sews it up, and apologizes for the misunderstanding....

Patches/Tattoos?,....

Hmmmm',...maybe 'Patches' are a 'poor-mans' Tattoo!!? Afraid to commit to a TATTOO!?,...buy a patch or two',...(.J.K.'0,..LOL'! Li Ma-Keh p.s., I have no tattoos',....lol'.