Thread: American Mantis

American Mantis

I am pleased to announce the development of a new martial arts system
    ...American Mantis

Sincerely,
    Dr. George Lisjak
    Americanmantis@AOL.com
    www.Americanmantis.us

Just what Northern Praying Mantis needs, another branch.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well, we can't let the wing/ving/yun chun/tsun peeps have more than we do, can we?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Sounds cool.

Stupid question:What makes the system uniquely new? I checked out the website, it said it was Plum Blossom Mantis and Six Harmonies Mantis as passed on by Wang Yuanqian and Ma Hanqing lineages.

Hi Bungbukuen,

The website will be undergoing some major reconstruction.

There will be a book available online and possibly DVD/video.

American Mantis is based on 30+ years of martial arts training, 20 or more of which is Praying Mantis. It is also based on a Doctorate in Chiropractic, representing 7 years of University study of Human Anatomy/Physiology, Human Biomechanics and Biophysics.

The system focuses on spontaneity, economy of motion (maximum force with minimal energy expenditure), tactical biomechanical and positional advantage.

It is designed to complement traditional systems, serving as a practical core, allowing for better understanding of more traditional movements.

Freedom of thought is emphasized. Students are encouraged to openly express their ideas in an open forum setting, analyze what works and what doesn't, and pursue their goals. This format will allow for further development and relevance of Praying Mantis in modern times.

The strategies presented are designed to strengthen some perceived inherent weaknesses, and in actuality, more in keeping with the aggressive spirit of the Praying Mantis insect.

If the student works hard enough I may even reveal my No-Shadow Punctuation Technique.

Dr. George Lisjak

Sifu Lisjak,

Great vision and goals for your school. Best wishes to all.

You'll have to let your students take you to Burger King for lunch. We used to go to dim sum with our teacher on occasion after class. Don't let it become a tradition though

N.

sounds like jeetkundo. while Bruce did have some valid points and interesting perspectives when it came to effciency in combat. Many tradtionalists wernt to happy with his inception.

stuyding the basics from Yip then saying the system is ineffective might haqve been the root of the problem.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

****, Ed, I've been saying that for...well, over a decade now.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Oso, Im confused.........you have been saying that george's american mantis format sounds like Jeetkundo for over a year?
    This is the first I have heard about it... am I that late?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

not at all...i was referring to your comment on bruce lee only.

Oso
    ahhhhhhhhh gotcha. Sorry, thought you were talking about american mantis.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Hi guys~ In terms of defensive techniques, there are similarities between Jeet Kune Do and traditional Praying Mantis.

An upper gate outside parry in JKD is similar to gua in PM, inside parries like fu, and both inside and outside lower gate parries are similar to lou variations.

In JKD, the small phasic bent knee stance is similar to xiaoshi, the predominant stance in PB, and TC Praying Mantis.

In American Mantis, it's not the "what" , but the "how" whick makes it unique. This is solidified with emphasis on practical drills and sparring.

No forms. This way you can keep doing your favorites. Again, it is designed to compliment traditional PM styles. If I didn't love them, I wouldn't have stuck it out for over 20 years.

Curious huh?

Take care,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Americanmantis
    Curious huh?
    Not really, you publicizing this whole ordeal has made me want to make certain I do not upset my Sifu.

My take on this is based on knowledge. while it is true many systems have been invented, reformed, ripped off, conglomorated and hybrided. This was done by years of thought, actual combat, and most importantly Mastery of thier first art.

I guess I am puzzled as to how one can learn bits and pieces of 4 different styles then in a attmept to out of spite create thier own system.

The aikido teacher and partner in my school left his Sensei when he left the NGA then made his own association and changed some movements then said he created his own Aikido style then called himself grand master of this new made up style. This made many of his long time students uneasy, unsure, and unwilling to follow him and his new dream of a politcal free system, but was it? it is now controlled by one man who calls himself Grand Master. He lost over 400 students doing this and now teaches only new students who have never known anything else and are ignorant to the fact that they will never be certified in world Association NGA.

That is like dropping our of harvard because your ****ed off at your professor that you didnt graduate and starting your own college...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Bo~ It's intended for people with open minds.

E.D.~ I'm going home and cry to mamma.

American Mantis- "I had to do something in my spar time learning the basics."

Dr. George Lisjak