Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu and UFC

Hmmmmmmmmm,
    I honestly reckon that the reason that kung fu doesnt enter in the ufc is because of the type of person who does kung fu and the type of person who does crosstrain.

Lets face it you were born to eat 3 raw chickens a day look like a kkk/neonazi and ride around barefoot on a harley, on top of that the only reason you dont carry a weapon is because you ENJOY beating people with your bare fists.

Now on the other hand you take a skinny 120 pound guy who wears glasses and he wants to defend himelf WITHOUT contact who bullies never picked on because they felt sorry for him.

Which one do you reckon goes for the art which teaches him how to maximise his peacefulness lead a different way of life find internal peace and look cool whilst doing it just like in the movies (using chi power may i add)

And which one will go to the school which says the only thing you cant do is kick people in the balls bite and eye gouge?

By the time the nerd is able to fight , he is too happy that he has achieved something so he goes and opens a school, by which time he is over 40. Why the hell would he want to go and look like fred ettish.

On the other hand you take a guy who is hard as nails already and subject him to ONLY studying kung fu and he will be just as good as guys who cross train, practise muay thai etc.

Look at andy hug, karate guy he even won the k-1 against muay thai guys, without training muay thai.

did i just get drawn into the trolling

Quote Originally Posted by SiuHung
    Not a personal attack, but these are some of the lamest reasons ever presented.

1) If you can reach the eyes or throat, then you can certainly restrain yourself to not injure them and must have enough skill to strike an opponent with a fist, palm or whatever. Poor excuse.

2) Who cares how you look when you fight. Silliness. WWF is a lot of acting. UFC fighters aren't acting in the ring. They also don't wear silk jammies and argue about who's lineage is better than who's. Nor do they worry about other's interpretation of techniques and concepts: they concern themselves with skill and being successful in the ring.

3) Better, however, Chinese martial arts lose out when the practitioners of those systems stop fighting and instead make excuses. Fighting isn't for everyone certainly, but the quality of CMA suffers when the martial aspect is minimized or marginalized.

The UFC, and Pride are the big leagues of MMA.
    We don't see any pure CMA in them for two reasons. One is that almost no CMA trains full time to fight in the ring under those rule sets. Another is that most CMA people are unable to come to terms with the fact that they would need to address other skill sets not necessarily found within thier system or taught by thier instructor in order to compete in those events.

**** cool c made some good points. There is a very small percentage of CMA's, and really any MA's base of practitioners that actually seek out and engage in combative training and events. For most people, its little more than an exotic hobby. Trying to get people together from different schools for healthy exchanges is difficult because of lack of interest and politics. There are those who are doing this though. There are those who are competing, or at least supporting those that do.

actually I was just reading the other day, how the UFC was almost banned completely, and because of politics they added a bunch of rules to the fight, and they try to mostly recruit muathui(I cant' spell it), taekwondo, jujitsu, wrestling, boxing, style fighters.

what you said about the rules. in your first paragraph. The fact of the matter is, just because they are allowed to use some of their skills, doesn't mean they aren't being held back. If you were to tell a taekwondo practicioner, no front kicks to the stomach, wouldn't that kind of lessen his ability to fight? even though if he can reach the stomach he should be able to use a different kick? It's true. A lot of martial artists train to turn a threatening person into a nonthreatening person as quickly as possible so they don't have to hit them over and over again, and get hit over and over again. That's not how you fight in the UFC. It's mainly knockouts and submission moves. IN self defense you fight differently, and that's what martial arts were intended for. Mainly purposes of war. Subdue the enemy as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Fei Hong

On the other hand you take a guy who is hard as nails already and subject him to ONLY studying kung fu and he will be just as good as guys who cross train, practise muay thai etc.

Look at andy hug, karate guy he even won the k-1 against muay thai guys, without training muay thai.
    Thank You. Its only a matter of time
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-14-2005 at 01:20 AM.

If I hear ONE more CMA person use the words eye gouge or throat strike in way other than a complaint I am going to seek them out and plant contraband in their suit case and calll the cops. CMA has a world to offer other than this.

There are many top strikers that don't do MT. TMA is always in UFC. Whether its being given credit or not. Its really the cool factor that dictates what the announcers say about the fighters. Chuck Liddel is a kempo stylist, but now he is a "kickboxer". Go figure.

To paraphrase and at the same time butcher a phrase from Niche, "the masses outnumber the famous by a 100 million to one."

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    Chuck Liddel is a kempo stylist, but now he is a "kickboxer". Go figure.
    Chuck Liddel /is/ a kickboxer, because he's competed in kickboxing. He's also a Kempo stylist, and I don't think I've ever seen him fight where the announcers didn't mention that at least once.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

I tottaly agree with sifu abel the eye gouge throat attack thing is quite gay. If the whole of tma revoles around hitting throat eyes and scrot then i think that we need to rethink why we do a traditional martial art we might as well just learn to kick people in the balls .

On THe other hand most people will say we dont train to hurt ) thats why BUT all of our moves revolve around crippling the opponent if a fight over a spilt beer breaks out hence why we learn to blind someone for life over a spilt beer and this is the only technique we know
    Yes this is gay im sure if you are good enough whilst chuck liddell is going at you at 400 miles an hour pounding your brain out of your ears to be able to actually HIT him in the EYEBALL im sure you could do a hell of a lot of other moves and not whine about not being able to poke him in the eye.

Guns are expensive... Very expensive. To say you would shoot someone if they threatened your life is ridiculous. Do you have any idea what it takes to shoot someone? To end someones life? Guns bring speed of death. Can anyone fathom being thrown in prison for the rest of your life because you carry something like a gun that brings speed to death. When you fear something with the utmost intensity you are not thinking in your sane mind. Sometimes not even the best of us. So you look for the quickest solution to calm the fear. The gun. You shoot someone. They die. You go to prison for the rest of your life. Guns are stupid. People with guns are stupid. To say you would shoot someone if they threatened your life is stupid. Human and guns are unnatural.

We've learned nothing from Gandhi. We'll never learn anything as a society. Herd mentality, and animal spirits we all are.

**Only directed at people who say they would use a gun to solve all threats to their life**
    Punching is loving.

Quote Originally Posted by g0pher
    **Only directed at people who say they would use a gun to solve all threats to their life**
    And WHO says they would use a gun to solve ALL threats? I carry a gun for the threats that require that level of response as I'm sure most other do as well.

And as for Chuck Liddel bieng a Kenpo guy and fighting UFC rules that's definitely a contrast. My experience with Kenpo is filled with eye, throat, and groin attacks. Those are favorite targets in Kenpo yet Chuck manages to supress those rules when he enters the Octagon. Interesting.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Fei Hong
    ... if you are good enough whilst chuck liddell is going at you at 400 miles an hour pounding your brain out of your ears to be able to actually HIT him in the EYEBALL im sure you could do a hell of a lot of other moves and not whine about not being able to poke him in the eye.
    Ooooooo.... Found a new quote.

WFH is also quite correct. It is much easier to punch at an opponant that to poke 'em in the eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Some observations I have made: If kung fu is so easy, then why do styles like tai chi, pa kua, Hsing-I, and white crane take over 10 years to reach the higher levels in? I am sure that some guys are taking jobs as bartenders and janitors to train with Pat Miletech. However, I wonder how they are able to keep such jobs, as is pretty much inevitable that you will get injured every now and then when you are doing a martial sport? What if you have a wife and kids to support?Concerning guns, you cannot totally control the amount of damage you inflict on someone when using it. I remember a state trooper in Pennsylvania once died as a result of getting shot in the leg and the bullet then went to his heart. Here in the United States, I believe it is illegal to carry a gun everywhere you go, even if you do have a license to carry it. And how do you prevent an innocent bystander from getting shot if you do have to use it? Food for thought.

Mixed martial arts or fighting that allows punches, knees, elbows, kicks, throws and ground and pound is very tough .... that's why you don't see Kung Fu guys in there or 97% of guys who train MMA either. It's not for everyone. Those that have a fighters mind set, today, would probabaly be more easily attracted to MMA. Because that's what's proved to work there.

I think that's the most honest asnwer to your question.

I must agree with Sifu Darkfist...NOT SimonM

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    Apparently Sifu Darkfist carries heat wherever he goes.

Then again Sifu Darkfist says lots of stuff.

I do know how to handle a knife. I like knives. I usually don't carry one though.

I don't use guns. I don't particularly like guns. I wish most places were as progressive as China and put severe limitations on who could own a gun.

I like my fists. I have a great level of control over strenuousness of response with my fists. Guns don't give you that.
    I DO carry "heat" whever I go..as so does my wife. I also know how to handle a knife, but why would I when I have a gun? Oh, and we have concealed weapons permits.

Simon...you actually stand by the foolish and uneducated comment that you wish more places were as progressive as China? What a laugh. Ask the family of the student the Tank rolled over for attempting to exercise FREE SPEECH. Have you ever been to China? Stupid of me to ask...If you have actually ever visited the country...you would have NEVER made that statement...Thank god in this country you can make make that statement.

I also like my fists. I like them even more when they are wrapped around my GUN protecting me and my family from any fool that would try to harm us.

Good day sir.

LOL @ Rfonner!!!

Apparently you haven't been following SimonM's blog on the other thread!

Juan

lol @ being progressive like China. Had to be a joke. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    kung fu = kick, punch, throw, lock

I see kung fu used in the UFC all the time.

exactly MK. kung fu even has ground fighting. a lot of the techniques can be found in kung fu. jsut cause they are not the run of the mill kung fu doesnt mean it isnt kung fu.

and the too deadly for ring only holds up so much. but yes clawing, eye gouging, groin shots arent allowed. they are trying to have a sports match up, not duel to the death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.