Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu and UFC

Quote Originally Posted by Becca

On another track... Did you watch this weeks TUF2? The fighter for the green team was using some very traditional techniques such as distracting his opponant from getting a triangle choke by slapping his face with the trapped arm. That was perfectly leagal and very much a common stratagy in any traditional cirriculem.
    I did see that. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    Actually, I always inform al students including top-notch fighters the limitations of foolish hand fighters. Yes, we kick and punch in the ring like anyone.
    This being the case, modifying your techniques for the ring should be easy enough, right?

No, we try to kill in the street without regard. I have trained my whole life with a ground fighter who I grew up with. I have also enjoyed Army hand-to-hand training at the advanced level. The fact is those that rely on controlling the fight on the ground in combat, end up dead. That is why in Wutang they train bodyguards to dispatch on contact or for you to set up you’re your partner to kill (you lose your life in the process). However, some people cannot accept their overall ineffectiveness with hands and feet in the real world.
    Not really. that's just as big of a misconception as the grapplers who say that ALL fights end up on the ground. I've been in fights that ended up on the ground, and recently posted my account of the most recent one that happened at a bar I work at. I lived to tell about it... That said, I don't advocate immediately going to the ground, but in some instances you can't help it, and in others, it is actually the best option.

You people have to calm down it is a fact that you will not beat a bullet. please look to Japan historically, or our own ancestors in the 1900 boxer rebellions. The gun beats IRON BODY. So…. ufc ifc wefc wwf www. ftw or san shou all amount toooo , sport Sport SPORT. Face it… live long and be healthy or as Earth Dragon would say “be well” (not at the far end of a shell).
    and you people have to realize that the "traditional" moniker doesn't automatically equate to super lethal. FWIW, it's TaiChiBob that says "be well"

sorry it took so long to confirm i was coaching fighters etc at a event over the three day weekend
    awesome. Which event?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

That guy on the ultimate fighter Luke is a total kungfu guy. He pounded that Bjj guy. I haven't heard anything about that on the forums. They even had like a horse stance contest and he outlasted everyone of those muscleheads.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    That guy on the ultimate fighter Luke is a total kungfu guy. He pounded that Bjj guy. I haven't heard anything about that on the forums. They even had like a horse stance contest and he outlasted everyone of those muscleheads.

MUAY THAI TO HIS GEEKY CORE!
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

1. In mma the athletes in there practice and perform the techniques and styles that will give them the highest percenatage of Winning.
    2. THey also practice and train at a high intensity in a more concentrated area.
    3. Aolt of the training in kung fu is 1- diverse ( culture,philisophy, health plus the striking etc) and 2- in some things that could take along time to be effective if you ever get it right
    The average martial arts practitioner ( kung fu,karate whatever)doesnt train in a way that will give him a good chance of winning a mma fight or a muay thai fight.

Forget about the rules of mma,
    how many martial arts schools spend the entire class , every class just doing conditioning and combination drills for fighting?
    To perform like a professional fighter you have to train like one it doesnt matter what style you use.

Imagine you trained in the manner of a professional fighter (your particular style) all the time.
    [i]Originally posted by [Censored]

And I would never ever train at any cult school with a "wall of shame".

http://www.raylongomartialarts.com/jameschios.html

Nice gi. What kind of staff is that?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

?

seven star said "This being the case, modifying your techniques for the ring should be easy enough, right?"

my students are in the ring my comment was that being god in the ring is not the end all.

they need to understand the limitations of those fool enough to fight with their hands as i said.

i dont advocate fighting with hands use a knife or better yet a gun then there are no more "uh what if he has a weapon" doesnt matter if he has a weapon if someone attacks me for whatever reason outside the sport or controlled agreed contact i consider it my life or theirs. that is why hand fighters are foolish cause i consider all situations (now that i am grown with a family) deadly situations and i will shoot them.

god gave of minds for innovation, im sure the army dont decide to go into battle using wwII weapons just becasue they train with one in their spare time why would anyone actually fight in real life with their hands? (excluding those young and dumb as i was once and fought who knows close to a hundred fifty times? god d++n i hurt now and thank god im still alive)

Rules

In the first editions of the UFC there were a LOT more "fighters" than there were grapplers. Check out the very first UFC and you will see a guy lose a tooth (spinning off into the crowd) to a roundhouse kick. However, the BIG thing about the UFC that sort of "discriminates" against stand up fighters is that the UFC is one-on-one. Throw all of those fighters into a ring at once and see how long the grappler lasts when he goes into a lengthy clench. This is why grappling (without any other means of self defense) is less usefull in the real world than it is in the UFC...Mr Billy Bad-A$$ at the local Bruiser Bar picks a fight- you grapple him into a submission hold and convince him the error of his ways. But what if Billy has 3 friends waiting around the other side of the pool table? You will be down on the ground while his buddies kick and pummel you mercilessly.
    UFC is ABOUT the best we can get to a "true street fight" without setting up a Gladiator Arena...however, it is set up to favor a particular KIND of fighter. I will almost guarantee that even the grapplers in the UFC have some other training as well as grappling training, though. So, you may wanna check out some of their Bios and see if they have a background in Kung Fu...

seven star said "This being the case, modifying your techniques for the ring should be easy enough, right?"

my students are in the ring my comment was that being god in the ring is not the end all.

they need to understand the limitations of those fool enough to fight with their hands as i said.
    My bad, I misunderstood you.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Professional even amatuer level fighters train at a higher intensity level, longer workouts, more repetitions etc.
    In other words alot of martial artists arent training enough to be able to pull off some of the stuff they want to pull off.
    How many times does a boxer practice combo x so that at just the right moment he can pull it off, with speed, power and accuracy?
    I dont believe the UFC/mma question is really about rules or gloves etc, its about practice, and intensity particularly if you are in a situation against a serious committed attacker.
    Are people training hard to beat the average out of shape, non trained person or training hard enough to deal with someone in shape with at least as much training as you , and as much maybe more committment to hurt you?
    [i]Originally posted by [Censored]

And I would never ever train at any cult school with a "wall of shame".

THAT'S IT! Let's set up a gladiatorial arena somewhere and solve these bloody questions once and for all.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

i dont advocate fighting with hands use a knife or better yet a gun then there are no more "uh what if he has a weapon" doesnt matter if he has a weapon if someone attacks me for whatever reason outside the sport or controlled agreed contact i consider it my life or theirs. that is why hand fighters are foolish cause i consider all situations (now that i am grown with a family) deadly situations and i will shoot them.
    I see comments like this a lot but, not picking on you personally, how many carry a gun or knife everywhere they go?

Obviously you can't predict when you will be attacked in the street so you would have to carry all the time. So what do peeps in California, New York, New Jersey and other states that don't support concealed carry do?

People are a little too quick to say use a gun. The majority of the population does not have a gun readily accessible at any given time. And even if you are licensed what will you do if you happen to be visiting in NY or DC?

For that reason alone it's a good idea to be able to fight with your body weapons alone.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Apparently Sifu Darkfist carries heat wherever he goes.

Then again Sifu Darkfist says lots of stuff.

I do know how to handle a knife. I like knives. I usually don't carry one though.

I don't use guns. I don't particularly like guns. I wish most places were as progressive as China and put severe limitations on who could own a gun.

I like my fists. I have a great level of control over strenuousness of response with my fists. Guns don't give you that.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Thumbs down

"Apparently Sifu Darkfist carries heat wherever he goes.

Then again Sifu Darkfist says lots of stuff. "

I do not understand when this became a place for personal attacks lol
    but i let you have your fun. Truth is i do period no questions no b s. but it is understandable if you dont take my word for it.

Also i thought forums were for saying things? otherwise why even come here. we come to say and listen. with debate we attack issues not people. if you dont agree with me on the gun thing just go to jetli.com he agrees entirely.

it is not my first choice it is reality. i wish there was no violence i wish people could never die and leave children and wives behind. This wish will never come true I wont be that guy if i can help it.
    Last edited by Sifu Darkfist; 10-13-2005 at 04:49 AM.