Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu and UFC

[I have used my material in ring fights. It was fun to see how my Kung Fu compared to people that trained in punching, kicking and submission alone.

Unless you look back to the good ol UFC days when anything goes.[/QUOTE]

so you got KTFO? one strike fights are rare, its mostly because of sucker punching. try fighting someone drunk or high, if a taser cant stop them you think a strike will? i highly doubt it... remember youre training in a control environment whether you adimit it or not , training in class is controlled youre going at a certain speed and power not going full force...
    Last edited by Face2Fist; 10-07-2005 at 09:44 AM.
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by bo_hou_chuan
    The point isn't that poking the eyes is easier than hitting, the point is if I take your throat out, you quit fighting. I don't have to worry about following through with more punches. We all know that one punch will end few fights. The moves I train in Kung Fu are meant to end the fight very quickly.

The problem there is that this is easier said than done. When you have someone in front of you with his guard up, body moving, limbs striking and who doesn't want to get hit, small targets like the throat become infinitely harder to hit.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Kung Fu teaches you to take the easy way out fighting small joint manipulation, groin strikes, arm breaks, knee breaks, and other things intent on not allowing your opponent to live out the rest of their life happily.
    you will learn these things in any grappling class.

Some of those things are legal in UFC some are not. Can you in good conscious maim another athlet just because they got into a ring against you? I suspect there are few Kung Fu practitioners that could.
    Surely you don't think that this is the main reason why kung fu doesn't have good showings at these events...

So to participate in a ring fight a kung fu practitioner must forget the way they train and revert to punching, kicking, and submission. These three methods to fighting do contain much depth and they take a lot of effort to be very skilled. They are overlooked by a lot of Kung Fu practitioners for the simple fact that they are not essential to their training, we take the easy path.
    that's funny, the last time I sparred someone and told him to hit me in the throat if he could, he couldn't do it. Considering he was trying to hit such a small target on someone who didn't want to be hit, it seems like his path was much harder. IN THEORY, it is the easy way, but in actual application, it is not. what's wrong with kicking, punching and submission? your styles are supposedly built around ti, da, shuai and na, correct? If you are learning how to apply the principles behind your techniques, you can apply them in any way you choose - the banning of certain target areas should not be a big hinderance.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I have used my material in ring fights. It was fun to see how my Kung Fu compared to people that trained in punching, kicking and submission alone.
    When, in what promotion, and who did you fight?
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

in some grappling matches certain moves are illegal like neck crank, heel hooks, toe locks, wrist locks because these could cause damage to a fighter, are they trained by the grapplers, yes! but are they used in matches if illegal no!

as for punching, kicking and throwing in kung fu, there are styles that have these techniques, punching WC, CLF, HUNG GAR as for throwing SHUAI JIAO. i m not an expert so i dont know what other style has throwing, punching or kicking

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    kung fu = kick, punch, throw, lock

I see kung fu used in the UFC all the time.
    correct

Kung Fu teaches you to take the easy way out fighting ie. punch the throat, hit the eyes, small joint manipulation, groin strikes, arm breaks, knee breaks, and other things intent on not allowing your opponent to live out the rest of their life happily. Some of those things are legal in UFC some are not. Can you in good conscious maim another athlet just because they got into a ring against you? I suspect there are few Kung Fu practitioners that could.

So to participate in a ring fight a kung fu practitioner must forget the way they train and revert to punching, kicking, and submission. These three methods to fighting do contain much depth and they take a lot of effort to be very skilled. They are overlooked by a lot of Kung Fu practitioners for the simple fact that they are not essential to their training, we take the easy path.
    Sorry, but this "easy way out" mentality is not correct. I don't know of any CMA striking style that doesn't have blunt hits. I.E. closed hand punching, back of wrist strikes etc. If you've never been hit in sparrring, guess what, you will go fetal on the first blow.

And what "Kung Fu" do yo study? This is a very specific question. We don't just take "kung fu" as a style.

There must be a Costco somewhere selling "dead horses to beat" at a discount.
    It seems we never get to the end with this.

REAL REASON we don't see much CMA people in MMA is simple. CMA people are not driven to those venues by their teachers. Period.

Early UFC was a BJJ promotional video. We don't hear about those few who did go in and do well, Joe Sutton, Onasis etc. But we never hear the end of how a few not so good CMAers did badly.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-07-2005 at 11:01 AM.

There's no such thing as a sucker punch in the ring. Everyone knows exactly what they are doing in square circle.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Face2Fist
    so you got KTFO? one strike fights are rare, its mostly because of sucker punching. try fighting someone drunk or high, if a taser cant stop them you think a strike will? i highly doubt it... remember youre training in a control environment whether you adimit it or not , training in class is controlled youre going at a certain speed and power not going full force...
    No, Bo Hou Chuan is superiour, I won all my fight, but they were against no name local boys.

No, I don't think a strike with stop someone, that is why I don't rely on playing tag with my fist. And yes, I train in a controlled environment, but I don't train for a controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    Sorry, but this "easy way out" mentality is not correct. I don't know of any CMA striking style that doesn't have blunt hits. I.E. closed hand punching, back of wrist strikes etc. If you've never been hit in sparrring, guess what, you will go fetal on the first blow.
    You are correct you must train with strikes, but I don't waste my time training to rely on them.

Ring fighting has evolved into a SPORT. Yes, boxers are good at hitting too. Ring fighters are great at ring fighting. But, kickboxing + wrestling does not equal fighting for your survival. I understand that ring fights are as close to real fighting as you can get in a sane world, that is why I tried it. I did it enough to realize I would have to alter my fighting style to get it to comply to sportsmanlike ring fighting.

[QUOTE=bo_hou_chuan]No, Bo Hou Chuan is superiour, I won all my fight, but they were against no name local boys.

No, I don't think a strike with stop someone, that is why I don't rely on playing tag with my fist. And yes, I train in a controlled environment, but I don't train for a controlled environment.

where are you from? where these fight local events?

theres no such thing as training for a uncontrolled environment.. when its a fight anything and everything happens

I think it's because a skilled martial artist in cma or jma would never join ufc
    because one rule is that you don't fight unless you have to, if you do but don't have to, then you shouldn't use the skills taught to you for life or death
    situations. also, the fights would be much more dangerous, and quick.
    it's hard to sell tickets to an event that will be done in minutes.

But, kickboxing + wrestling does not equal fighting for your survival.
    training in your cushiony kwoon with cooperative opponents does not equal fighting for survival.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by greensage22
    I think it's because a skilled martial artist in cma or jma would never join ufc
    because one rule is that you don't fight unless you have to, if you do but don't have to, then you shouldn't use the skills taught to you for life or death
    situations. also, the fights would be much more dangerous, and quick.
    it's hard to sell tickets to an event that will be done in minutes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! the biggest BS i ever heard, are you an instructor?

explain kung fu tournaments?

btw my hands are registered as lethal weapons!!!

sifuabel,
    horray! at least someone remembers my friend and brother joel sutton! he beat the crap out of both his opponents using what he leaened in (yes call it) kung fu and represented our system and teacher.

but of course no one will give kung fu credit for this. But we must remember the UFC was brain stormed and invented by the gracies for a BJJ competition. not MMA abnd surley not other styles.
    try entering a MM Artist in a Tuei Sao competition and see how they do. will they compare with the Taji guys?
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 10-07-2005 at 11:57 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

greensage,
    please man I am trying to defend my skilled kung fu brothers out there. we really dont need ridiculous posts like this one and then say.... hey I do kungfu!!!!!!!!!!!

do you say judo katana and numchucks too? oh brother!
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."