Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Taoist Meditations

I think I said something a page or so back about everyone answering to something. Anyways, socail norms differ from country to country, sometimes very greatly. Having lived in 3, WOW, what a mind fuuck. Bottom line; Killing humans is bad, killing animals is accepted. On a side note, I saw a teacher here kick his student in the arse today. After I saw this, I walked over to the teacher and said, "Don't do that. How would you like it if I kicked you?" Long story short, I was "ostracized" because of what I said.

There is a turtle. Have you heard that about opera is doing where is the water closet. Great, where do you buy those to find at? Is that gasoline or no hey John. Gas is up.

How hard is it to kill some person? I often think about this, i think if i had to i could before kiling any little animal.

FT

Hi FT,

It still comes down to context. I am sure you would have no problem killing a rabid squirrel, but wouldn’t kill a two year old child.

Hi, TAO YIN,

I am not trying to nit pick, I am sure this was implied within your statement, but killing of humans is wrong most of the time, but approved some of the time. Killing of animals is approved sometimes, but considered wrong sometimes as well. As with most things it depends upon the context.

It is clear that each culture has their standards of behavior. I know of none that accept unjustified name calling as a healthy or acceptable form of social discourse. If you know of any that is fine, but there are clearly very few.

You did the right thing if the teacher had no “justifiable” reason for his action. That is if the action was a form of derision or meant as an act of violence. Under these circumstances you may have been ostracized for your actions, but that does not make your actions improper.

It appears from your story that kicking a student is socially acceptable where you live. Socially acceptable should not be confused with correct behavior. That is unless in this culture there is a social convention that kicking a student is similar to patting one on the back or some other form of good intent. In this case it is merely a lack of knowledge of local customs. Within the context of that culture they may find it acceptable to kick a student, but I would wager that it is unlikely that you would do so yourself unless you find an acceptable reason for doing so, which would change the context of the action. This is because you adhere to a high set of standards that transcend the limited context of the society in which you are presently living.

Your behavior may not be understood by the others of that culture. This is what Lao says will happen to a man of Tao. Those bound by conventional truths cannot understand the man of Tao because they are trapped within the narrow perspective of their conventional standards.

While I have no idea what actually occurred and know nothing of the culture in which you are presently residing, I do understand human nature. It is possible that the teacher and/or his associates knew the behavior was inappropriate and ostracized you from embarrassment for having been caught engaging in inappropriate behavior, in other words, as a face saving device. If I do something wrong and you catch me, if I make you the bad guy I don’t have to face that I behaved inappropriately. This is a very common face saving device.

To me to be ostracized is a minor consequence when compared to ignoring an injustice, but that is just me. It appears from your description that you applied the principles of Tao and should be applauded for you actions. I would also point out: you did nothing different that I did by informing FT his actions were inappropriate and I of course have been soundly criticized for my actions as well.

Here is an interesting story that happened to me:

Many years ago I worked as a nurse in a prison. My office was on a specific tier for inmates with lower mental function. The lowered mental function was commonly due to drug abuse.

One of my duties was to pass medication to the inmates while they were locked within their cells for the night. I had a patient/inmate that was repeatedly disrespectful and would not follow the proper pill passing protocol. This cannot be tolerated as it was common for the inmates to attempt to hoard their medication in order to take larger dose in hopes of getting high. This is of course, dangerous!

I informed the officers of the inmate’s behavior and they proceeded to the cell to extract the inmate for counseling. The inmate resisted and ended up on the floor and received a non-approved physical attitude adjustment. He received a busted nose and was taken to the lockup unit for a week or so.

When he returned to my unit he was a new man! Mr. Brown this, Mr. Brown that, yes Mr. Brown! I was informed by the officers that some inmates will not give respect until physical dominance was demonstrated. To be clear I was an observer and not a participant in the demonstration of physical dominance.

I was at a loss for some time trying to find justice in the actions of the correctional officers. What appeared to be an inappropriate act of violence resulted in a more harmoniously behaved inmate and he held no resentment towards the officers either. Their actions worked however inappropriate they appeared. This sort of behavior did not fit with my personality so I never applied the same philosophy when I became a correctional officer. Their actions might have been more efficient, but I developed social skills to motivate the inmates that I supervised. I cannot say their actions didn’t work though.

I would kill you before the squirrel!

You are attached to this name calling arent you, AHHHHHHHHHH i know you was cursed so much at school or at the JAILS, Is that why you dont like name calling, cause its scared you?

I give you credit though you love to type and make long post although they are like an empty vessel! Dont hate the player, HATE THE GAME!!!

FT

The game is just a game, it is the players that cheat!!

Well you better stop cheating i guess?

Scott,

Funny enough, the teacher kicked his student because he and his student had an argument, and in the context of their argument, his student called him a "ben dan," (idiot/fool). When the teacher told me what his student said, I replied, "If I call you a ben dan are you going to kick me?" Of course, he quickly said, "no, no." What is it sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me? Pick on someone your own size. And so on, or something like that. I forget.

Maybe you can come back as the sacraficial Goat in the little Buddha?

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger
    Well you better stop cheating i guess?
    Hi FT,

It isn't as important whether one cheats or not, but when and why one cheated!

correct, so whats your answer then sweetheart?

Scott, im tired of this relationship, how about we just move on and get over it?