Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zhou Gao Shan

Great thank you that is extremely useful. Do they practise weapon forms do you know? If so what do they train in?

What do you mean by "Lipi fight"? Is it different from Lipi or is it the applications of Lipi?

Thank you!

S
    Black Mantis

It would be wrong for me to say that we are "pure" lineage 8 step mantis. The guy who is Su Yu Zhang's long term friend (Chen, I just can't remember) has his picture in Wei Xiao Tang's disciple book (My teacher has a copy of the book) also has influenced our 8 step practice.

Lipi fight is the B side of the form---it correlates with the form.

In general, beginning students larn feng mo gun, jiben dao, jiben dao fight and lai men dao.

However, they also learn things like mei hua hand, mei hua lu, beng bu, qi qing Zhao yao, mimen, six harmony spear form, tanglang shou, cao chui (I can't get the right pinyin because of the Taiwan accent but it translates into "inserting fist". No jokes please) Zai kuei, Fen Shen ba zhou, kun wu sword, praying mantis two handed swords. There is also pi'an or is it called bi'men?

There were also a lot of drills we did in the 80s---two man, learning to block and grab a thrusting staff, two guys would sit and do almost wing chung like blocking and punching (you sat so you learned to move your upper body). There were also leg drills with your hands behind your back.

They also have picked up a lot of the taiji meihua tanglang from Sun De Yao and Zhang Wei Fu.

So to make a long story short, I am sure there are true lineage holders of the 8 step system which can add more but this is what we, or I should say they, do.

I went through a lot of the above but wasn't interested at that time so its the younger generation that does the work in praying mantis---kinda of late in life I realized what I missed by not training harder in mantis. No regrets, it just wan't my bag at that time.
    Last edited by RAF; 10-22-2005 at 04:44 PM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Thank you that is all fascinating. The seated two-man drills sounds particularly interesting and unusual. I train in Babu Tanglang and have only done solo work coming from the Zhou Gao Shan school.

I have a question regarding the Lohan exercises- I have learned only nine exercises so far, the last one is called "Iron Ox" or something? I've heard there are eighteen in all so I wonder if I have learned something different.

I am taught by someone who learned from the Zhou Gao Shan group.
    Black Mantis

It must be a Wutan(g) thing but I also only learned about 9 of the exercises. I think the ocmplete set is on Su Yu Zhang's tape but when I did the seminar with him ( I only went through the first 3 because I had to leave early to take one of the Chinese competitors to the bus station) they were slightly different than what I had learned earlier.

Zhou Gao Shan---I really don't know anything about him ohter than his name came up on one of the wutan(g) Yang taiji tapes that was out int he 1980s.

FWIW the supposed abstraction presented on the tape resembled little what Liu had taught my teacher. So I only speak about what my teacher learned and what he taught me---I have no explanations as to why there is so much variations in wutan(g) material.

That is about all I got left---good luck!
    Last edited by RAF; 10-23-2005 at 10:54 AM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Thank you for all your help. I feel quite alone as I am taught one-to-one from someone who used to belong to the Zhou Gao Shan Wutan group so it is great to discuss it with people who know so much.

Many thanks for all your information!

S
    Black Mantis

Well my point wasn't too clear but I really don't know much beyond what my teacher Tony Yang has taught me---I don't know the politics regarding Wutang and Taiwan although my teacher was and is very close to Su Yu Zhang. However, my teacher also studied mantis under others and it really was his first love.

I am making no judgement regardng Zhou Gao Shan since I don't know him and really never heard anything bad about him.

I Sincerely wish you the best in your training and if you have any questions, at least from the perspective I know of, please do not hesitate to ask.

I think there are others that have a much more deeper understanding of 8 Step mantis and they can probably do a much better job detailing out what you might want to know.

Thank you for being extremely insightful. It's great to have fellow 8-Step enthusiasts to discuss with!

Many thanks!!!

S
    Black Mantis