Thread: Zhou Gao Shan

Hybrid View

Zhou Gao Shan

I would like to know more about Zhou Gao Shan. I have read the page on the mantis cave and would like to know more.

Does anyone have any information?

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

In spent time with the group in '89.
    What do you want to know?
    Kevin

Great! I'm glad someone will be able to help. Where is he based? What styles does he teach and practise? Is he the martial brother of Su Yu-Chang? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

Zhou has a university club here in Tainan as well as one in Gaohsiung.
    I am not sure if he is in charge of any clubs in other cities.

My Shidi studied with his club, I think Gaohsiung branch, and climbed up high the ladder.
    Said he is in some little mountain in Gaohsiung county. Might be a tea plantation.

He can be contacted through the Wutan branch. Really, this is a question for Wutan...

As for what he practices I think he doesn't practice, which is why I don't hang with them. That was my impression when I was there and 2 of my shidi who were there much longer said the same thing.

I know it sounds bad to say that. But if you want to train with the man it seems unlikely that you will both be dropping sweat on the same floor.
    The clubs just let the students teach.

His brother used to take him to Zhang Dekuei's classes many years ago I have heard from my shifu.
    Though my shifu himself never saw zhou in the class.
    In watching the class there is none of Zhang Dekuei's mantis to be seen.

His students in the club start by teaching the 8 Step lipi form. But they also teach a bunch of other styles, the most important being baji. Hence the name Baji Tang Lang.
    They also have some 7* like Cha Chuei and Beng Bu looks like the version Gao Daosheng's students perform.

The club at Tainan uni practices outside by the main thorough fare. If you stop and watch you will be chased off as they do not allow anyone to watch them.
    Of course you can stand across the street and watch from a distance.
    I think this secretive "you can't watch us" mentality is damaging their club.
    Back in '89 there were 40-50 kids in the club. I noticed this years recruits new and old barely passed 10.

He is the martial brother of Su Yuzhang.
    So if you are interested in that style there are many other branches of Wutan around the world.
    I have heard that the Taipei branch is much more vigorous.

I've heard good things about the Zhou Gao Shan group but you don't seem to be so sure? I believe they study Tanglang (Babu, Qixing and Meihua), Tai Chi (Chen), Baji and Bagua.

How long did you study with them and what did you learn?

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

Incidently is there any rivalry between this group and Su's group do you know?
    Black Mantis

Hi, I am moving to Tainan in a couple weeks...

i was hoping that you might fill me in a little on the martial arts scene in Tainan...

thank you for any help
    Franklin

you can contact me privatly if you would like
    internalkungfu@hotmail.com

or through my website
    www.internalkungfu.org

Do yourself a favor and seek out Shr Zhengzhong. You can contact him thru Shifu Kevin Brazier, he posts here. Tainan is nice keep us posted.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Could someone tell me from what lineage the Zhou Gao Shan group know their 8-step mantis? After Lipi what do they learn does anyone know?

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

If he follows what I beleive would be a Wutan(g) "take" (Su Yu Zhang/Another disciple of Wei Xiao Tang [met him at a seminar on pi'an/bimen, also great in xing yi] and Tony Yang) on 8 Step mantis it would be:

Seven Hand, Seven Hand fight

LiPi, LiPi fight

Xiao Fan Sha

Da Fan Sha

Babu Zhao Yao #1

Babu Zhao #2

This would include all the stance work, single moving postures including the fighting side and some exercises that are praying mantis but are similar to a speeded up pushing hands.

In addition, a number of the 18 lohan exercises are used as part of the warm-up plus kick, stretch and punching warm-ups.
    Last edited by RAF; 10-22-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Great thank you that is extremely useful. Do they practise weapon forms do you know? If so what do they train in?

What do you mean by "Lipi fight"? Is it different from Lipi or is it the applications of Lipi?

Thank you!

S
    Black Mantis