Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun in real fights

"...I believe that there is a mental aspect which is far more important than the specific shape of your techniques. You have to be willing to hurt someone, not saying you have to, but you need to be willing to cross that line if you have too." (D)

***SO TRUE, Dave. Being willing to hurt someone is not only understandable in certain circumstances, but necessary, in this world, imo. It's unfortunate - but it's true. We live in a tough place, this planet Earth. And quite often, I have found, the very willingness to hurt the person in front of you is all it may take to get him to back off; and if he doesn't - then hurt him.

"You also need to keep your head and not fight out of anger. Even though I allowed myself to get mad, I did not fight out of anger, at least I kept a cool head." (D)

***I HAVE A SLIGHTLY different take on this, Dave. I personally believe that anger is important when engaged in a confrontation. It's important to let yourself feel it - so that it keeps you focused on hurting this person; so that you beat him till he drops, choke him till he's very weak - and yes, dare I say it, kill him if you have to. (This may sound crazy to some, but I believe I'm just telling it like it is). Supposing this guy turned out to be a real lunatic - and your wife was with you, right? And in order to protect her (or yourself, for that matter) against a raging lunatic...

if you don't allow yourself to feel angry enough to be willing to whatever it takes to stop him - this could turn out to be the sorriest (and perhaps the last) day of your life!

But the kind of anger I'm talking about, though intense, can't be allowed to control you completely (ie.- you've lost your head). That's the key.

If it gets too hot - then your fighting efficiency and technique will suffer - or you may go too far - and not stop hitting him, kicking him, or choking him when it's clear he's no longer a threat, and now you're the one who's in danger of crossing over the line.

So yes...a cool enough head not to make fighting or judgment mistakes.

But angry all the same.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 11-06-2005 at 09:07 AM.

Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt. I agree that you should have avoided him, BUT I think since you didn't, it was a good wake-up for him. People like him need a smack to the ego so they will SIMMA DOWN. You may have prevented him from attacking someone later down the line.

Thanks for all of your responses guys. My training has been going along very well, and im begining to truly see how well wing chun works in fighting situations. Ive been asking my sifu questions about this and that, and his responses and demonstrations have been amazing. I am now just begining to learn the Su Lim Tao form, and am pleased to report that everything is going well. Thanks for all your responses!