Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SPL aka Sha Po Lang aka Flashpoint

Donnie Yen

Mantis 108 -

Donnie Yen used to live in the States I think, so he's exposed to the MA trends in the west.
    Donnie Yen is the son of Mark Bow Sim and Klysler Yen.

Pete

Bruce Lee started the groundfighting in movies with Sammo in the opening scene of Enter the Dragon. Shaolin vs. Lama has some good Chinese wrestling in it, and don't forget about the ground fighting in Leg Fighters with Dorian Tan.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Random wackiness

Lost gambling earnings on Kill Zone?

Birmingham owner denies 'dirty money' link in HK trial
    AFP
    October 31, 2013, 9:29 pm

Birmingham owner denies dirty money link in HK trial AFP Birmingham owner denies 'dirty money' link in HK trial

Hong Kong (AFP) - Birmingham City owner Carson Yeung said he amassed his wealth through stock-trading and gambling but denied dealing with triads, as he testified in his $93 million money-laundering trial in Hong Kong.

The hairdresser-turned-football tycoon from the southern Chinese city was arrested in June 2011 over allegedly dealing in ill-gotten gains worth tens of millions of dollars.

The high-profile yet oft-delayed case has put Yeung's wealth under an intense spotlight, as he faced questions about his spectacular rise from hairdresser to owner of an English football club.

The court heard Thursday that Yeung had invested HK$40 million ($5 million) in a local film company for the movie "Killzone" in 2005 with winnings from gambling in nearby Macau.

"It was the accumulation from several winnings," Yeung said.

But the movie, starring martial arts stars Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung, did not pass censors in China and the investment resulted in a loss, he told the court.

"It did well in Hong Kong, however on the mainland, it could not pass censoring authorities... we lost on this big market."

Throughout his testimony, starting October 15, Yeung and the prosecution have painted differing pictures of how his wealth was amassed, with prosecutors claiming around HK$720 million had passed through his bank accounts.

Yeung has said he accumulated hundreds of millions of dollars through stock trading, hairdressing, business ventures in mainland China and gambling.

He said his stock portfolio in 2007 was worth around HK$300 million dollars held in margin accounts with almost 40 stockbrokers, adding that he spent "all my time" trading stocks after the 1998 Asian market crash.

He also set up business ventures in Inner Mongolia from 2001 to 2007 where he made large profits from fertiliser and real estate operations.

"I was the first person in Hong Kong to invest in Inner Mongolia," Yeung said.

Gambling activities in Macau also raked in HK$20 to HK$30 million in profits between 2004 and 2008, Yeung claimed, adding his preference was to play baccarat in the Neptune Club in gaming tycoon Stanley Ho's Hotel Lisboa.

?I gambled as if I were running a business," Yeung told the court.

But prosecutor John Reading said Yeung had "grossly exaggerated" his earnings and constantly grilled him on his relationship and dealings with Cheung Chi-tai, an alleged triad boss.

"Did you know that Cheung Chi-tai was believed by police to be a member of a triad society?" Reading asked, to which Yeung replied: "I didn't know".

Yeung said Cheung, a major shareholder in gaming company Neptune Group Ltd., asked Yeung to invest in the company. Yeung invested HK$26.4million in a Neptune Club VIP room in the Hotel Lisboa in Macau in 2005.

When quizzed by Reading, he also said a payment of HK$18 million he received from Cheung in 2007 was a return from the investment in Neptune and that he used the money to buy property in London.

"I didn't ask him (where the money came from) because I knew him for many years, he was the second largest shareholder of Neptune Group," Yeung told the court, adding that he wasn't suspicious of the HK$18 million's origin.

When Reading asked if any of Yeung's proceeds were ill-gotten, he replied: "There were none...it was my money."

And when asked if he had used dirty money to purchase a stake in Birmingham City Football Club, Yeung said: "It was impossible".

The court also heard that Yeung spent lavishly, blowing HK$6 million on a Maybach car, HK$49 million on an 88 foot (27 metre) yacht along with a five million pound ($8 million) property in London.

Yeung, who was little-known prior to his emergence in English football, took control of Birmingham City in October 2009 in an 81 million pound takeover from David Sullivan and David Gold, now the co-owners of West Ham.

Birmingham City's fortunes have gone downhill since then. They were relegated from the Premier League in 2011, three months after winning the League Cup.

The court is expected to hand down a verdict next year.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our latest sweepstakes!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for 'BEST OF DONNIE YEN' PRIZE PACK including 5 Donnie Yen films on Blu-Ray™: IP MAN, IP MAN 2, ICEMAN, FLASH POINT, & LEGEND OF THE FIST!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 4/16/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Three upcoming Donnie Yen projects

‘Ip Man 5’ among three Donnie Yen films revealed at Cannes (exclusive)
    BY SILVIA WONG 17 MAY 2023

SOURCE: MANDARIN MOTION PICTURES
    ‘IP MAN 4: THE FINALE’
    A trio of action films led by martial arts superstar Donnie Yen have been revealed by Hong Kong-based Mandarin Motion Pictures at the Cannes market.

The company will introduce Ip Man 5, Flash Point Resurgence and Misjudgement to buyers at the Marché this week.

Yen, who was most recently seen in John Wick: Chapter 4, is well known for his role as the eponymous Ip Man, the real-life Wing Chun grandmaster who was a teacher of Bruce Lee. The previous instalment, Ip Man 4: The Finale, generated more than $176.3m at the worldwide box office following its release in 2019.

Flash Point Resurgence is developed from 2007’s Flash Point, which also starred Yen and Louis Koo. No directors have yet been revealed for the projects but all four Ip Man films and Flash Point were directed by Wilson Yip.

The third title, Misjudgement, has China’s Huace Pictures as a co-investor.

Plot details have yet to be revealed.
    Cannes
    SPL-aka-Sha-Po-Lang-aka-Flashpoint
    Ip-Man-4-The-Finale
    Misjudgement
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips