Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SPL aka Sha Po Lang aka Flashpoint

I completely agree Gene. But I am not a Tony Jaa film fan. I didn't like Ong Bakh and didn't particularly like Tom Yung Goon. I did like SPL. But you are right about the plot. The gift from the daughter scene was so overblown.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Ray

I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND YOUR EMAIL, AND I CAN'T PM YOU. SO WHY DON'T YOU EMAIL ME AT:

DARKWATER2020@HOTMAIL.COM THANKS

Donnie is the man

I just watched this movie. My title says it all.
    I liked the blend Donnie used of CMA and grappling. It filmed well and was believable (for a movie).

I like Wu Jing but don't you think he has too much of a baby face for the killer roll? I kept thinking of the leader of the lost boys in "Pan" I read a review that said that the fight between Donnie and Wu Jing was improved. Anyone know? When I saw it I thought it dragged on too long but I need to go back and watch it again.

I really enjoyed this story. (sans the daughter part) It's totally old school chinese cops and ganstas.

They need to cast Donnie in a good US vehicle. He has good presence. He really buffed out for this role too.

Wu Jing

I thought Wu Jing's baby face worked well as the killer. It made him more psycho. I've always thought Wu Jing had great potential. I really liked the baton vs. wakizashi scene between Donnie and Wu Jing. There was some nice broken tempo stuff instead of the usually tik-tak-tik rhythm that pervades most choreographed swordfights. I'm eager to see what Wu Jing does next...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What a typo... My post should have read:

The fight between Donnie and Wu Jing was IMPROVISED!

that would explain the off tempo stuff. I need to watch the fight scene again. Any confirmation of the improv?

vcd with no english subs

i just saw it on vcd with no english subs. so it was fun just making up my own dialogue. the fight s were awesome the best i've seen in years. i never really like that jacky wu jing guy but this movie made me change my mind about him. donnie and sammo were awesome in this film. sammo makes a great bad guy. he just has that don't **** with me look you want in all your villians. there were some bad points but i'm not gonna get into it, but i due see some improvement from the director. lets see how he does with dragon tiger gate. which i heard was gonna look like sin city.

SPL at MartialArtsMart.com

Support the forum. See what everyone is talking about. SHA PO LANG (double DVD edition)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Support the forum. See what everyone is talking about. SHA PO LANG (double DVD edition)

just picked up my copy gene!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Saw this at BB today under the name Kill zone. $17.99
    After reading how great the fights in this movie are again though, I will have to fork over the money.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Thumbs up

That movie was the SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

If I would have known it was a dark hong kong movie I would have gotten my copy way before now. That was freaking sweet. I loved the grappling too.

The special features from Dragon Dynasty makes this one of the best DVD's ever. 15 minute interview with Sammo, 40 minutes with Donnie, 23 with Jacky Wu...

2 behind the scenes filming the 2 major action sequences. There is also a commentary track for these 2 making of's, FROM DONNIE YEN!!!!! So not only do you get a 93 minutes commentary with Bey Logan, you get a 58 minute commentary form and Bey Logan and Donnie.

I found it amazing that Donnie cut out a ton of action. You can tell he has grown up and is learning how to make real movies when he takes out his patented triple kick. Also when Donnie put the choke hold on Sammo and he started giving him elbows, they cut out a coulpe of knees that Sammo came in with too. Oh well, I can't get everythign I want.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

You think SPL was good wait until you see Long Hu Men. But, yeah, my 3 favorite martial arts movies of the last year were:

SPL (Donnie & Sammo)
    Dragon Squad (Sammo)
    Long Hu Men (Donnie)

Don't get me wrong, I loved Fearless, but it was more a drama that happened to be about a martial artist than it was a martial arts movie. You could see Fearless as being the anti-Tom Yum Goon.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

I got my copy of SPL yesterday and watched it. Definitely the best HK movie in years, IMO, but it wasn't quite as good as I had expected. My favorite parts were those that showed Wu Jing in them, surprisingly. I liked him in The Tai Chi Master, but he played a nasty villain in SPL. His "babyface" looks made his character seem more menacing.

spl

i haven't scene the killzone version but now i wanna pick it up, might rent it from netflix. as for dragon squad that **** was garbage to the maximum of garbage, and dragon tiger gate was pretty good but corny as hell!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i haven't scene the killzone version but now i wanna pick it up, might rent it from netflix. as for dragon squad that **** was garbage to the maximum of garbage, and dragon tiger gate was pretty good but corny as hell!!!!!!!

Kill zone version is defintely diffrerent than the chinese version. I heard Dragon Squad was awesome, so why didn't you like it? And I will check out Dragon Gate when I can but it did look pretty gay.

Dragon Tiger Gate is a typical Gong Fu comic book adapted into a movie. It's nearly brainless and it has a plot that makes you go "Shenme"?

Dragon Squad follows the typical hong kong cop movie format. It's bloody and full of gun battles... however the fights between Sammo and the main villain (particularly the machettie fight) are really nice.
    Simon McNeil