Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SPL aka Sha Po Lang aka Flashpoint

okay why dragon squad sucked........

you mean besides the fact that it reminded me of the power rangers? well sammo was good ofcourse, but i hated how everyone had to have those stupid ass intro flashbacks when they did some kinda of action. if danny lee(the director) did that once then fine but he kept on doing it, and it made me wanna fly to hong kong run up to him and kick him right in the fukkin face. that one thing alone made what could've been a cool movie into garbage!

And people said I was judgemental...

You know people were shocked when I said I didn't like Ong Bakh despite the fact that it:

A) Had a useless soundtrack.
    B) Was amateurishly shot... underlit fight scenes and low grade film stock are a bad combination.
    C) Had a lead actor completely incapable of acting.
    D) Had some decent fight corography but some really poorly shot moments... like when Jaa flicked his toe lightly against someone who would then go spinning to the ground.
    E) Had that awful, useless, poorly shot, over blown, overly-long, pointless, worst-music-ever-made, taxi chace scene.

You say Dragon Squad sucks just because of the intro flashbacks?

They weren't that power ranger-esque.

Ayah.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Simon, Simon

Ong Bak brought a whole new kind of style with it. Tony Jaa is the main reason that all of this stuff works. It is an explosive type of action that you just don't like. I thought Ong Bak was great and that the Protector was one of the greatest action films ever. I will have to check out Dragon Squad sometime to see what the contreversy is about.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

don't man

don't see dragon squad it was corny the plot was corny the acting was corny the whole **** thing except sammo was corny.

Watched "Killzone" and that was the most depressing movie I think I've ever seen. Almost every character had "father" issues...and I suppose those particular elements just struck home. EVERY...SINGLE...TIME.
    Every character either was a father (and tragic) or had estranged/dead fathers that were more tragic than usual in that situation. I went to bed depressed out of my mind.
    Fight scenes were good...and probably the only thing I'll ever watch of the movie again. Did I mention how depressing it was? Especially liked the baton/small sword fight...and the grappling was pretty cool.
    Sammo was really amazing with his portrayal in this film, he didn't have to speak to convey a lot with his expressions.
    Wish I'd payed more attention to whoever said this was a "dark Hong Kong movie"...
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Yeah, I probably said on here it was really dark. I am expecting something like 'In the Line of Duty', but it was a hell fo a lot more than that. I have only seen about 10 Wilson Yip movies and this is his first one that I REALLY liked. For another superb dark Hong Kong action movie check out 'The Longest Nite'.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I think one of the things that makes SPL even more depressing is what makes a lot of the Hong Kong films in recent years seem depressing, even when they aren't meant to be; that is, the movies seem "empty" of people, compared to movies made up until the early-to-mid-nineties. Hong Kong seems "depopulated", just like in Jackie Chan's "Gorgeous." In SPL, the only extras in the movie are the groups of young street thugs under Sammo's (Wong Po's) control. Otherwise, HK could be a ghost town, like the original Dawn of the Dead.

Sha po lang

i may be a bit late, but i just saw this movie.

i really liked the action in it, donnie yen and samo hung? can we say bad ass?

i also liked that a couple of the fight scenes ended up in ground grappling

OMG CHINESE USING GRAPPLING

is this a sign of the apocolypse or something?

A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Chinese movies are the only movies where I have seen good grappling overr the years.

Angry ground fighting

ground fighting and grappling have been apart of chinese kung fu forever i don't why people think it's not there its there, you just have to get a good teacher who knows the whole system and not only the basics. even and internal style like xing yi has ground fighting in it(not that it's needed one tsuan chuan to the chest cavity and it throws all that bull**** 90% of all fights end up on the ground theory right out the window, btw i've been in plenty of fights and only maybe two ended with both guys wrestling on the floor) anyway just needed to state that, cause alot of martial artist even guys who have been training for twenty years always say kung fu has no ground techinques and i say to them where do you think all the other style get their ground fighting from?

Mickey brought up a few very good examples of Chinese wrestling in some Peng Kong movies. I still have to see Woman Avenger though. Man that movie looks awesome!

Groundfighting in Killzone

Anyone see Killzone?

In all of the fight scenes featuring Sammo Hung, expecially the one with Donnie Yen, there was groundfighting. They made it look pretty cool. I know grounfighting is notoriously boring to watch (for some people), but they actually used a lot of MMA takedowns (including that sweet armbar Donnie puts on Sammo, leading to a broken hand) and ground and pound strategy. I know it's sped up for entertainment value, but it seems these new waver Hong Kong movies might try to mix it up for the new generations.

Looked sweet to me.

SAmmo

Sammo was always amazing to me. Big guy, always older than his younger co-stars, but still one of the best movie MA's there was, and capable of moving like Jackie Chan when he needs to (except for the climbing up walls stuff Jackie does, and the insane stunts). Classic actor. Although, from what I hear, his injuries (and age, no less) keep him from really keeping up his old-style movements.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 05-28-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Smile

Groundfighting in Kung Fu Flicks has started a few years back already. I think it was Vampire Effects that there was a "vampire that used something like a cross between Capoeira and BJJ. If memory serves, the protagonist in the movie used some pretty cool rope dart techniques to subdue the vam.

Donnie Yen used to live in the States I think, so he's exposed to the MA trends in the west.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

ground fighting looks boring to some because it is real time. real time kendo looks boring as well. however, for a movie, you can transition from throw to lock and back, and make it very exciting. the wwe has mastered it. also, watch the judo choreography in cagney's old films.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter