Thread: Wu-Tang Manual (rap group) Shaolin related

Wu-Tang Manual (rap group) Shaolin related

Anybody read this? (Gene I'm lookin mostly in your direction). It was written by the groups "leader" the Rza. He talked and had allot of pictures with his Sifu, Shi Yan Ming. He also mentions how much impact his trip to shaolin and wudang temple had on him.

The largest section of the book was dedicated to the philosophy of the group which is a combination of different religions, Islam (mostly from the 5% nation), Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity etc.

You get the idea that Rza is interested in martial arts from his music but it seems based in movies. This book gives the impression that he started out only knowing about kungfu from movies but now is more into the real thing(like most of us). Interesting to note that Rza, Gza and Ghostface began studing Qigong with Shi Yan Ming before martial arts.

Good read for anybody interested in the group.
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 10-11-2005 at 09:43 AM.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

None of them study, practice or train martial arts with him. Rza is his best friend. He is into the philosophy of it. Maybe a little chi gung once. I am a first hand source believe me.

You must be a student of Yan Ming then.

That's interesting, because the book gave the impression that they did(mostly rza)

I was a student for three years. Hung out with them here and there. He says a lot of celebs train with him who don't. He has pics of him and rosie perez holding staffs. She never swung a staff in her life. The best part is I was there that day and right before the pic was taken she was on the floor gasping for air after a moderate workout. And by the way if anyone else did that they would be thrown out of the school. Double standards like that is why I don't train there anymore.
    Just want people to know the truth.

I've skimmed that book in the stores...

I was on that trip. I remember when most of the pics in that book were taken.

Yan Ming definitely liked to hang out with the celeb set. I never saw any of said celebs train, but I only visited his school a few times and could have easily missed that. Most celebs will take private lessons; at least that's how it is at other schools I did meet Rosie Perez through Yan Ming, as well as a few other celebs. I don't remember RZA training on that trip, but then again, I was only with them for the Wudang portion and no one really trained for that (unless you count climbing mountains). We were just being tourists.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Rza said he met Shi Yan Ming and began training (in qigong) around '95. I believe he probally did, although he's probally not the normal several day a week student.

Gene, wasn't it one of your articles where rza said 5 elements fist was his favorite set?

Was that me?

Lord, sometimes I can't remember everything I've written. I can remember him making a comment about the 5 tones in the cover story I wrote on them in '99. Actually, I didn't even remember that - I had to go back and skim that article again. But then, he talked about taking private lessons. If you can afford it, private lessons are always the way to go, whether or not you're a celeb.

Ironically, I caught Perez on some PBS show last night. That's Shaolin Karma for you. I don't know what the program was. I didn't watch it. I was just surfing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rose Perez DID actually train a few times. I know she is busy and I give her credit for that. I just never got over those poser staff pics. lol

Bokeem Woodbine was the most devoted I have seen, level 2 and all. Also he was very cool and down to earth. Also not bad at kungfu.

Bjork also trained there a couple of times.

One thing I miss about that school is having these famous people come in and admire how hard we were training. It was like if only for a moment a representitive of this pop culture world we live in was admiring us.
    Pretty cool.

I personally couldnt care less if rza trained a lot or a little. I dig his flow, lyrical wordplay and his style on the mic. He comes close to gza and krsone when it comes to pure dopeness.

craig

Respect 2 Rza

When we climbed the mountains of Wudang to Tianzhu peak, he was just free rapping in this amazing estatic state. Think about it - here's a guy who came from a very difficult start, carving his own career out to be making soundtracks to the very martial arts films he worshipped as a kid, here he was at Wudang. And if there's one thing everyone says about Wudang, it is beautiful. Stunningly beautiful. Those mountains, my lord, they are spectacular from every angle. It's one of those very sacred places where heaven meets earth. So RZA was just inspired and his rap was amazing. He was flying; I couldn't keep up, but he was weaving his thoughts and experiences right in with what we were seeing, seemlessly, brilliantly, providing me with the most unexpected soundtrack for an extraordinary personal pilgrimage (it was my first and only trip to Wudang too). I'll never forget that.

There's one thing that's unquestionable about RZA - the man has some serious skillz. His track for Kill Bill, that was wicked. It's the new top hit at martial arts demos, supplanting that Crouching Tiger Night Fight track and the OUATIC Dance mix that used to dominate open forms. Amazingly, none have the longevity of Eye of the Tiger - I still hear that now and again. Some one needs to do a dance hip/hop version of that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Island Sounds: A 500 Year Music Mash-Up

The RZA Donates Keyboard from 36 Chambers to Staten Island Music Exhibit
    by jakecrates May 2nd, 2012 @ 11:28am

(AllHipHop News) Wu-Tang Clan producer The RZA is contributing rare memorabilia to the upcoming interactive music exhibit “Island Sounds: A 500 Year Music Mash-Up.”

The exhibit will take place at the Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden on Staten Island.

The RZA has donated the keyboard he used to create Wu-Tang Clan’s historic album Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).

Additionally, the exhibit is set to feature never-before-seen photos and memorabilia from one of RZA’s pilgrimages to the Shaolin Temple in Dengfeng, China.

“We are excited and pleased to present this unique exhibit as a tribute to the countless artists who have played a role in Staten Island’s rich and varied musical history,” said Snug Harbor President and CEO Lynn Kelly. “The exhibit memorializes the contributions of these artists and defines the part they played and continue to play in our diversified culture. I urge everyone with an interest in music, pop culture and the history of Staten Island to come and enjoy the hundreds of unique pieces of memorabilia that make up the Island Sounds exhibition.”

Other rare and historic items from several Staten Island artists will also be on display for the exhibit, including Force MDs’ trademark apparel, personal photos and awards and an autographed LP of Born This Way by Lady Gaga.

Snug Harbor will also showcase Gaga’s biopic “Mary The Night” and will hold displays on Eamon, Omin Child and Christina Aguilera, in addition to numerous displays of rare photos and gold/platinum albums from Staten Island musicians.

The 18-month long exhibition kicks off on May 11, 2012 in the Main Hall of the Snug Harbor campus and from then on will be open Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5pm.

Admission is $5 for adults and $4 for students and seniors, while children under 12 are admitted free

For more information about “Island Sounds: A 500 Year Music Mash-Up” and a detailed schedule of events, please visit www.snug-harbor.org.
    Anyone near Staten...err, I mean 'Shaolin'...gonna hit this exhibit?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips