Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wushu in 2008 Olympic

Wushu in 2008 Olympic

I'm torn. It's nice that CMA will get the exposure but on the other hand It makes me wonder when XMA will be an olympic sport.

I don't think it is fair to compare xma to wushu. They are completely different. I don't feel like getting into it now. I think you guys need to actually take a wushu class to see all the different elements there are to the training. Its not just gymnastics.

THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT DEPENDING WHO TEACHS. unless you have every teacher from around the world there to judge, it would be impossible

You post this like it's something new...

We've been following the Wushu Olympic story since 2001. In fact, we've been the only mag to give it so much serious attention since it has a tremendous effect on CMA. We did a series of articles starting after Beijing secured the 2008 games and followed it quite closely for some time. Still do, in fact, although now its embedded in other articles, not so much a stand-alone feature. We predicted it was going to be a demo sport - it's been leaning that way since the Asian Games. Demo sport is fine - TKD started out as a demo sport. I'm very excited about it and am hoping I can score some seats in Beijing.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

I think its fantastic news.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    If modern Wushu will succeed in 2008 Olympic then all TCMA will die.
    WOW! Cheer up dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    I don't think it is fair to compare xma to wushu. They are completely different. I don't feel like getting into it now. I think you guys need to actually take a wushu class to see all the different elements there are to the training. Its not just gymnastics.
    I didn't say that wushu people don't train hard. I'm sure they train very hard and I'm sure it's not easy. What I am saying is that they are turning kung fu into a performance art just like XMA. They're turning kung fu into figure skating.

I know what you mean but it is a far cry from figure skating. The stances and power generation are still there. Hitting a stance after doing a string of running and jumping is agony and then throwing more punches from low stances. The tradtional school will always be around. I see no reason why they can't co-exist. People want different things out of their training.

Actually training wushu is the only way to see the benefits. I had a teacher that would let you try a class but not watch. So you feel the training instead of just seeing it.

I train wingchun that is mostly hard sparring. I know the benefits of both. So its not like I see just one side. The wingchun guys make fun of me for training wushu. But they can't kick like me or have my endurance and yes both are from wushu training. Did I mention I lost 50 pounds. Shed all the fat. I know wingchun wasn't doing that for me.

lol You think xingyi would be hurt by adding a kick? Tornado is my favorite kick. Well inner crescent to be precise.

Wingchun has no flying kicks. lol

I don't mean to laugh but come on. These styles are different. They look different and they are trained different. Doesn't make either bad.

I just started learning Long fist! I love it! I have to admit the part I am up to now is so exhausting I don't think I could continue without passing out.

I think the biggest threat to TCMA is MMA. Since TCMA are supposed to be all about fighting and applications you never see anyone win. In the beginning the traditionalists got their asses handed to them. Here lies the threat. Why train these styles if they don't work under spontaneous fighting enviroment. Just train wushu for the expression and athletisim and take boxing. Oh or in my case wingchun.

Most of the people doing that form weren't very good. I have never seen that before. I see what you mean in this instance. I would be upset too.

I completed wushu Baji last month. I have researched it on the net and it looks almost exactly like the traditional.

Cool Challenge 'em!

I think traditional Wushu should go challenge the modern Wushu like the time Bruce Lee was challenged. If modern Wushu holds their own then traditional Wushu should shut up and let them be.

Let's start with San Fran's China Town where that legendary challenge was held!

I am all the way with YKW on this one. Modern Wushu is a disgrace to Traditional Wushu and Kung Fu period.

Mantis108
    Last edited by mantis108; 10-14-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Everyone needs to calm down and eat chips and dip. Wushu is not a threat to traditonal martial arts training. They compliment each other very well. The problem is most people lack the experience of both. You have to really understand the differences in order to benefit. Shou Yu Liang is a top traditional master teaching many traditional and contemporary styles. Ask him if wushu is a threat to traditional training. He'll think you're joking. You have to broaden yourselves. Have you ever seen Helen Liang's Liuhe Bafa? It's sick!! She's a wushu master. She's also a qigong expert. You also have to realize what it means to be a professional chinese martial artist. It means to be well rounded.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ninja
    Everyone needs to calm down and eat chips and dip. Wushu is not a threat to traditonal martial arts training. They compliment each other very well. The problem is most people lack the experience of both. You have to really understand the differences in order to benefit. Shou Yu Liang is a top traditional master teaching many traditional and contemporary styles. Ask him if wushu is a threat to traditional training. He'll think you're joking. You have to broaden yourselves. Have you ever seen Helen Liang's Liuhe Bafa? It's sick!! She's a wushu master. She's also a qigong expert. You also have to realize what it means to be a professional chinese martial artist. It means to be well rounded.
    Totally agree with this point of view.

The biggest threat to CMA is CMAists being too close-minded to adapt and be relevant in modern times. Some of the best wushu i've ever seen is by TCMA practioners who have a clear understanding of the differences and are good at both. Getting wushu exposure will only help promote all CMA including traditional arts and San da.

YouKnowWho

If modern Wushu will succeed in 2008 Olympic then all TCMA will die.
    Let's correct that statement. It should read "If modern Wushu will succeed in 2008 Olympic then YouKnowWho's TCMA will die." And it should have the addendum that "YouKnowWho's TCMA was useless anyway because YouKnowWho's TCMA couldn't stand up to modern wushu."

Come on YouKnowWho, don't be such a whiner. I can't wait to see Olympic wushu and there's no way it will kill my traditional practice. NO WAY. I'm too old to practice wushu seriously, but my traditional practice will stay with me, hopefully for the rest of my life. If it doesn't, that's my fault, not the fault of TCMA, not wushu, not even the Olympics. What are you thinking? Do you think Homeland Security is going to force me to do wushu when it goes Olympic? Are you going to give up your TCMA practice just because wushu goes Olympic. Don't be silly. Don't compare your practice to others. When you stop to compare, you lose the way.

If your TCMA is so weak that it can't stand up to Wushu, you don't got real kung fu. You might as well take up bocci ball. As for my TCMA, it's my personal practice and I will keep on pursuing it as long as I am able, no matter what happens at the Olympics.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart