Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wushu in 2008 Olympic

My thoughts....

WuShu and traditional kung fu are not exactly the same.... the former is based on the latter. In China, we have a saying about wushu (yao tsee sai mo sut tsai - Cantonese pronunciation, meaning "have style, no realism"). Generally, traditionalists believe that WuShu has no real substance and that those stylists don't go through the very robust, intense foundation training (horse stance, etc.) that traditionalists go through. Hence, it is believed by traditionlists that WuShu'ists would not be able to execute the effectiveness nor the power expected of the particular kung fu style in question. In fact, you will frequently see traditionlists balk when they see contemporary wushu stylists in their routines, especially when performing something that was taken / originated from a part of that person's traditional kung fu forms.

Secondly, WuShu competition these days are made up of compulsory routines that all competitors have to go through, be the routines Taichi (eg, Chen 56) or contemporary WuShu. These routines are taken from traditional forms and emphasis is on athleticism, action, level of difficulty, etc. Just as an example, compare Chen 56 to the traditional Chen forms... you will see in the former parts taken from Chen Old Style routines 1 and 2 (Pao Chui)... but you don't see as much intense silk reeling, etc. etc. etc.

Thirdly, traditional kung fu masters in China will almost always follow their traditions and pass on their style traditionally.... not everyone in China is in favor of contemporary WuShu. So, I think the chance is slim if any that the traditional styles will be threatened by contemporary WuShu.
    Last edited by ntc; 10-28-2005 at 09:30 AM.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

Not at all surprising.

Just because a person is trained and certified in China to be an IWuF judge doesn't mean they :

ARE a good judge if they are trying to be fair...

And more importantly

ARE capable or willing to be fair and impartial.

From what I have been told, if you are from school A in China and are sent to a competition to judge, you are EXPECTED to support school A's team and oppose any of school A's enemies while working. What that means is you score yours up and theirs down.

If you DON'T, you may be perceived well by the athletes and maybe even the officials you work with....

BUT, unless you have someone pulling for you with political clout, when you get back to school A after the event, you will NOT be given the opportunity to go judge anytime in the near future....

So...we then wonder why there are problems at national events with China-trained judges.... They are simply doing what they have been trained to do.

So.... has anyone seen these Olympic mascots: the Five Friendlies

What you don't see is that Huan huan is sat in front of a tank, that's why he's on fire
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu
    So.... has anyone seen these Olympic mascots: the Five Friendlies
    Everywhere everyday!

Because I am in China.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bing bang pow
    The Chinese are going to showcase the very best of thier martial arts. We will all get to see masters and styles that are unlike anything we have seen before. At least that's what I am being told by Masters connected to the martial arts in China. This can be an opportunity to see the very best China has to offer in the Martia Arts, and I am looking forward to it.

Nothing could be better for CMA than the inclusion of wushu as an olympic sport. The inclusion of TKD and judo have propelled those sports to international fame and success.

Rather than destroying the traditional arts, a unified international sport wushu would clearly differentiate them and increase their value and marketablity.

The incredible athletes involved in wushu deserve global recognition. A lot of folks on this forum might even be able to find work in the field if people only knew what the heck we're talking about!

Also, China's rise in global commerce and politics could really use this kind of boost. It would serve the ultimate goal of the olympics...to unify different cultures through the common thread of human athletic performance.

And we have Gene as a pioneer in keeping an American audience aware of what's going on...perhaps I see a future commentator's postion arising??

China, Russia and US may capture most of the golds in coming events.

Personally, Wushu in whatever forms being showcased in or along side of the events;

Really it is to promote Wushu in a younger generation and the rest of the world.

If it will work, meaning more people in other countries to pick up Wushu?

We shall see.

Yay for wushu in the olympics!

I've expressed my views on wushuHere.