Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Weights Workout

lets just say you have 100 muscle fibers in ur biceps, if you lift your arm ur using 10 fibers, lifting a brick your using 50 fibers and your max lift is 100fibers.
    modern research shows that if you are flexing your muscle, be it to show off your "guns", lift a brick, or a 50# DB, the entire muscle is used. EVERY fiber activates to assist with the tension. The reason weights get you bigger faster is because you are microtearing your muscles more. The extra weight is increasing the damage. (which is why some body weight people say wieght lifting is bad and is more likely to cause an accident.)
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by million
    Did gm chicoine give his blessing to put the excercises on the internet, or for sale ? Has gm chicoine seen these "exclusive videos"? Has any of gm chicoines senior students seen this web site?
    From what I heard and understand its a sticky subject, their is no blessings but I dont know much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Akronviper
    How I understand the Allen/Chicoine relationship is they used to study together under Femen Ong (spelling ?) they split ways and Chicoine then studied under G.M Chang. I belive there really has not been an accociation since the 70's early 80's, but I may have it wrong just what i've heard

does the green dragon school still exsist?

Quote Originally Posted by million
    does the green dragon school still exsist?
    Yes they are still around I see them advertising around the campusess and run into a few of there students every once and a while.

I guess the only way to find out is to hear it from the horse's mouth. Again I have heard this is a sore subject. Sore subjects dont come from blessings. It is not illegal to share information like this, but it is unethical in the MA community.

Great thread guys, Million you seem to know alot more than you want people to know, and Dale you learned Iron Plam from GM Chicoine at his summer house? how does that come about? If you already know why buy the information from NWW? No disrespect, just curious.

Cool, Thanks for the response. hey could you answer somthing that I always wonderd? Did you find that the teachings from the Green Dragon Tape (GM Chicoines part), GM Chicoine and Steve Hamp all seemed to be same teachings or did you find some small differnces between them all.

You can PM me if you dont want to give any details. Just something that I have been curious about. Kind of like the telephone game or what ever it is that every time some thing passes down it changes and also that some teachers save a few details out for there students when mass producing a technique.

Definately no weights work out can be substituted with high reps of light weights or push ups with stance training.

Dale Douglas,

You're a brave man for wandering out of topic. don't let your bravery lead you astray.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    i think iron fist had a corinary or just gave up.

maybe both.

LMAO

I can just see him tearing his hair out and throwing it at the screen...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I remember seeing this thread and thinking "why bother?".

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Lockdown Approacheth

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by green_willow View Post
    Definately no weights work out can be substituted with high reps of light weights or push ups with stance training.

Dale Douglas,

You're a brave man for wandering out of topic. don't let your bravery lead you astray.
    Ok...here's my take.
    I too have done both types of training....and there is a difference.

Weights ( Lifting Heavy, Low Reps.and infrequently( alot of lifters just dont give their muscles enough time to recover..Body Builders mostly...Power Lifters know that they can work a Body Part twice a week with fierce intensity and heavy weights...and get stong.)...this type of lifting will get you Big & Strong.

The best way I know to explain the difference is in explaining ( briefly) what most
    TMA Practioners already know....I'll use The 8 Basic Static Stances practiced by most Old Style Shaolin type Martial Arts.

As you gradually increase your [b]time holding the static Horse, Cat, Twist, Crane, ect...Stance...your brain tells your Muscle Fibers to go deeper into the Muscle depth, to contact MORE muscle Fibers as time goes on

This is a slow and patient process...but after a few years you literally are using alot closer to ALL of your Muscles, ( down to the Bone so to speak) when you strike .

This training is not easy...it requires diligence, patience, perseverance and gradual..but continuous lowering of your body...thus placing more weight on the Muscles as you hold your Stances for 3 minutes each...then 5...then 10..ect.. also I might add..if you have been taught correctly, your arms are pulled back with your fists closed at about upper-chest level.

This is working your Upperbody while Stance Training.

I cannot describe the difference ...I am strong when I lift..and I am strong when I consistantly practice my Stances, Arm Grabs, Tiger, and a few other power Building exercises, ALL ON TOP of the 1 &1/2 hour Workout on Tokens, 3 Star Blocks and two man drills.

Weight lifting is a 'different kind of strength"..so I do both.
    I warm up carefully with stances FIRST...( This warms your body from the inside out)...then intermix Heavy Weights with low reps ( 6-8) at 80% Maximum of my one rep Ability.

I personally add Heavy Bag and Speed Bag work to my training.
    Mastor Ong never approved of that, because by hitting a Heavy Bag you are
    Limiting...in your mind ...your Punching Power And we were taught to punch through our targets ...not just make contact, but actually aim on the other side of the persons body..thus punching through the target.

Using tradition and Weight training together is a great workout.

I would caution to also do alot of stretching before, during and after....THAT avoids the chances if injury.
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

All I have to say is that IronFist knows his shit when it comes to lifting/wieght training.

Don't question that...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by Akronviper View Post
    If only muscle worked so simply. I'm not trying to say that there is some magic working here but there are differnt types of muscle fibers ex: slow twitch and fast twitch. differnt excercises recrcuit differnt fibers. if muscle contraction was the end all of strength excercises then every one would just flex constantly and look like arnold. Football players use weight lifting along with polymetric excercises and isometric excercises to round out there training. Why because weights alone can not work the whole muscle.

anyways this thread kind of ran off track. its about the the NWW system and any results, some bodys had to try them, also do differnt styles incorporate isometric excercises.
    LOL @ "polymetric" exercises.

And even more LOL @ anyone thinking you can somehow tease out the tendons separately from the muscle fibers to specifically strengthen tendon- true cluelessness that show absolutely no knowledge of muscle function or even basic mechanics.

Slow twitch (oxidative) fibers respond to low loads, fast twitch (fast glycolytic and fast oxidative glycolytic) fibers respond to high and medium high loads and/or fast movements. The type of exercise has no bearing, other than whether or not it places a high load or is done explosively.

As far as holding stances, that type of training builds up one's muscular endurance at that specific joint angle and a few degrees in each direction from that angle. Very little strength is accomplished with this, unless your definition of strength is the ability to hold the stance for longer and longer periods.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    modern research shows that if you are flexing your muscle, be it to show off your "guns", lift a brick, or a 50# DB, the entire muscle is used. EVERY fiber activates to assist with the tension. The reason weights get you bigger faster is because you are microtearing your muscles more. The extra weight is increasing the damage. (which is why some body weight people say wieght lifting is bad and is more likely to cause an accident.)
    Moderate weight (those that fatigue the fibers in the range of 8-12 reps), with short rest periods, done in multiple sets provide the biggest stimulus for muscle growth.

High resistances (those that fatigue the fibers in the range of 1-5 reps) with long recovery periods provide the most stimulus for strength gains and do not provide as much stimulus for muscle growth (hypertrophy).

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Moderate weight (those that fatigue the fibers in the range of 8-12 reps), with short rest periods, done in multiple sets provide the biggest stimulus for muscle growth.

High resistances (those that fatigue the fibers in the range of 1-5 reps) with long recovery periods provide the most stimulus for strength gains and do not provide as much stimulus for muscle growth (hypertrophy).
    agreed 110% but id add that heavy squats and pulls tend to stimulate more release of testosterone than jessica alba in a wet tshirt with an open beer. while not hypertrophy, this does stimulate groth. now thank me for over complicating your point.
    where's my beer?