Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No Weights Workout

" Weightlifting is done quicker...building strength and mass...but fails to build the same TYPE of usable flexable strength that Stances do"

???? ?????? ??????????????? ??????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????

I think you might need to look up the definition of "slow twitch" versus "fast twitch" and post something again. But I guess it depends upon what you mean by usable flexable strength.

Honestly I really have no idea what you are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I must respectfully disagree. You are not taking into account..that loads and stressors [u]held for extended periods of time ( static Stances) develop the bones, muscles and tendons in a different way
    Each type of training develops responses that are specific to that type of training. The type of adaptations developed by this type of training would be muscular endurance at the specific joint angle and within a few degrees at which the stance was held.

Weightlifting is done quicker...building strength and mass...but fails to build the same TYPE of usable flexable strength that Stances do [/b]
    Could you define what you mean by usable, flexible strength?

The other thing I don't get is, "tendons". A lot of people talk about 'tendon strength' as if this is some thing you develop, but ... ??? Can you really develop tendon strength separate from muscle strength?

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    The other thing I don't get is, "tendons". A lot of people talk about 'tendon strength' as if this is some thing you develop, but ... ??? Can you really develop tendon strength separate from muscle strength?
    Studies have shown that tendons can, indeed, become stronger.

However, tendon strength development is part and parcel of muscular strength development. Since tendons are part of the structure of the bone, tendon, bone attachment, they cannot be separated out to develop specific strength in the tendons only.

Muscles, tendons and bones all become stronger with strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Studies have shown that tendons can, indeed, become stronger.

However, tendon strength development is part and parcel of muscular strength development. Since tendons are part of the structure of the bone, tendon, bone attachment, they cannot be separated out to develop specific strength in the tendons only.

Muscles, tendons and bones all become stronger with strength training.
    Anyways ... the only thing I will add to this is that I don't think you have to say that weight lifting is a low rep thing always. There's nothing stopping you from doing high reps with weights.

I don't think one strategy, bodyweight exercises or weight exercises is better than the other. However, there are certain exercises in which it is hard to isolate certain muscles in a particular way, without some gear.

For example, the equivalent of a pullup, or a lat pull down, I don't know any way to do that without a bar or something.

And some exercises, such as squats, when done with a machine vs. free weights, IMHO, the machine result is more specific to particular muscle groups which can be detrimental to function. Some people will argue that free weights are superior because they involve more muscle groups to balance the weight than you would need with a machine.