Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Do and San Soo

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Anyway, again, maybe some one else can help me here, but are the characters for San Soo the same as the characters for San Shou? I've asked many San Soo people and none of them can read Chinese or know the meaning of their name. Now I find that very funny.
    Official Seal

Pendant

Patch
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-26-2005 at 10:29 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Check!

Those are the same characters for Sanshou.

BTW, not sure if you all know this, but the 'san' character alone has two pronounciations. If it's a bent tone, it means 'loose' or 'scattered' which is typically interpreted akin to 'free' as in 'free sparring'. If it's a falling tone, it means 'disperse', 'distribute', 'let out'.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs down

Ah, San Soo..... an art whose nonsense challenges Shaolin-Do for supremacy

Hate to break it to the San Soo people, but it's kenpo. I have a friend from CA who was there "back in the day"..... he's real old school TCMA, like was there the day Harry Ng got shot.... the founder of San Soo was a student of Ed Parker's and when he opened his first school it was called "Kempo Karate".... the kung fu craze hit in the 70's and he changed to name to san soo kung fu

Since he died, this BS about it being Choy Lay Fut has come up... so we used to get these San Soo idiots wanting to get ranking certificates from Chan Tai San because he was a CLF personality...

The newest one I heard was San Soo guys claiming Jimmy Woo started San Shou in China before he left.... next they'll be telling us Jimmy invented chop sticks and introduced rice into Asian diets
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Fukien Forms

Because what you have seen so far in SD does not resemble the other styles from the Southern Shaolin manastery why cant the styles or forms not taught yet by GMT be those you know are from that temple or monastery ????? Kc

Actually, he can't call it Shorin either because that's a majour category of Okinawan Karate do. As in Shorin Ryu not the Shorin Ji one which is new relatively speaking.

Let's face it, the greater portion fo North American Martial arts are North American and in many ways loosely (in some cases very loosely) related to asian counterparts or a combination of those counterparts all put together.

The actual genuine and authentic martial arts of ay asian culture are a little harder to find and to get trained up in. Sure there's lots of schools, but in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, a lot of them aren't selling anything more than a novel way to exercise or completely americanized versions which can be better or not as good as authentic asian martial arts.

In the end, a lot of people branch out and check to see what the differences are so long as they aren't all caught up in the lineage crap. There's lots of good american martial arts that draw upon asian martial arts though. Whether or not anyone wants to admit that is another thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

San Soo

There is obviously quite a bit of misinformation about San Soo here......propogated by those supposedly "in the know". Now I don't want a ****ing match here, but let's pretend for a moment that the above info could be wrong.

During this time it is true that Ed Parker had association with Jimmy Woo - BUT it was Jimmy W. Woo not Jimmy H. Woo. Jimmy Wing Woo was friends with Ed Parker. Jimmy H. Woo is not the same person.

San Soo has the same characters as San Shou. Jimmy H. Woo abbreviated what he taught for Americans, knowing the disinterest in hours of diligent drills and forms. So, he focused on the combat aspect of the art - the San Soo. While alive Jimmy never laid claim to a relationship to Choy li Fut. He said it was at best a cousin Art.

Jimmy H. Woo had a propensity for generating disinterest in the esoteric aspects of the Arts. He insisted on being called 'Jimmy' not Lau Sifu or any other title. His focus was on delivering information specific to fighting.....period. I would be glad to answer any other questions regarding San Soo if posed respectfully.

Dude,
    Doesn't Bagwhan mean p@ssy in Hindi? Now how am I going to ask a question respectfully?!?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Off to a great start. You'll note that was my first post ever on this forum. I made the mistake of participating. I mistook this place as a forum to discuss Kung Fu.

Greetings Baghwan and Welcome to the Forum,

The only deom of San Soo that I remember seeing was that of Gerald Okamura in a movie. I was impressed with his flow in and out of ranges, from striking to grappling.

Re: San Soo

Have the books that Jimmy H. Woo used been located? If so, are they being translated? What additional insights do they offer to the art of San Soo? Lastly, is San Soo really a southern system?

Thank you,

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-28-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Thumbs down

You can try and fool some of the people, but others know what the deal is. I am always amused by people who try to tell me what I've seen with my own eyes never happened...

I've seen pic of "San Soo" Jimmy Woo in a karate Gi with Parker. I've seen pics of Jimmy Woo's first school called "Kenpo Karate"

If he never claimed to be a Choy Lay Fut guy, then all his students must be smoking some serious plant life, because suddenly it's all over your community? And we were getting calls every month looking for someone to "sign off" on their CLF-ness

Generally speaking, years of exerience has been all the same, "San Soo" falls on the Shaolin Do side of the spectrum

Respectfully.... with love and bullets... LKFMDC
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

No offense man, but YOUR the one who picked 'p@ssy' for a name...
    --- Napoleon

"You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Shh, Don't say "Box"

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Monkey Slap - I honestly didn't put that much thought into 'baghwan' - enjoy a good laugh on me then.

Lkfmd - I know the pictures you refer to - look a bit closer. Jimmy's shool was labeled Karate-Kung Fu. He did that because back then not many folks knew what Kung fu was - some thought it was a restaurant. When Kung Fu became more mainstream - he changed the school name.

Yes, the thread is about wearing karate gi's. The nature of practicing San Soo is pretty rough and the Chinese garb wouldn't hold up. There wasn't much else to choose from when Jimmy started as well. Later, he would wear the more 'Chinese' garb and in demonstrations, Chinese uniforms were worn.

Jimmy H. Woo did know Ed Parker - but he did not train under him, there weren't the plethora of martial arts superstars as today - they were in the same general area and likely networked to some degree, just as we do on computer forums.

Admittedly, there are some pretty serious divisions in the Art. Some desperately cling to lineage and validation - the rest of us train. Don't categorize us the same. Let's put it this way, IF I applied a pair of vice grips to your groin......would it matter who sold me the vice grips ? If they were Craftsman or Stanley? No, you'd be more interested in having them removed......because it hurts.....Doesn't matter anything beyond that.

There is a lot of misinformation, and I don't know what you've seen a time or two - but I have been training nearly my whole life and know what I am talking about. I am not saying you haven't gotten calls from freaks. They're out there - but again what's important is the message, not the messenger.

Mickey - thanks for the welcome - I hope I can provide some answers.

Yes, San Soo is considered a Southern system. Though in interviews, Jimmy inferred that San Soo was from 'everywhere'. I suspect he was confused and spoke poor English.

As for the 'books'. Well, this is my understanding......his widow has them and won't share them. Frankly, I and a good portion of practitioners doubt their existence or authenticity. BUT that doesn't diminish the effectiveness of the things that Jimmy taught. Only his grandson knows for sure, his name is JP King.

The idea of San Soo is to generate the highest degree of pain in the shortest amount of time and with the least amount of effort. Easier said than done, but that's why it is an art. Frankly, we study violence.

Royal Dragon -......you said 'Box'.........

Greetings,

Did a small search on my own. Not to take sides.

Re: James Wing Woo

http://www.tecnoscan.com/sifu/abhp1.html

See the second page as well. It speaks about James Wing Woo's school.

Baghwan,

Thank you for answering my questions. The reason that I ask whether it was Southern was because from the little that I have seen, it has a Northern flavor to it. Maybe I need to see more.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-29-2005 at 11:50 AM.

I'm not sure I buy the 'San Soo' is Kenpo argument. While I've hundreds of tools proclaiming San Soo, I've met a few guys with real skills come out of that stuff. Plus, Rudy Ter Linden, a very rough customer by any measure, held Jimmy Woo in high regard.

Although, as a side note, most of the San Soo guys I've met who were good, had gone on to other things - as the bulk of San Soo training was what I call 'dead lever' training.
    --- Napoleon