Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does it Really matter what martial art you do?

Sing Along!!!

Ride 'n, Ride 'n, Ride 'n,

Oh them nuts are Ride 'n,

Ride 'n, Ride 'n, Ride 'n,

RAWHIDE!!!

(some of you are too young to remember that show.)

You guys just don't know how superior judo katana is
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Lots of guys with TKD experience fighting in the UFC right now. You think all those spinning kicks come from Muay Thai?**

**SevenStar will say the real Muay Thai has those techniques, but they aren't used in the ring.
    actually, that's not what I'd say. I'd say that the back kick is like the third most common kick you see in muay thai. it's quite prevalent. Spinning.... maybe not as prevalent, but definitely there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by manofkent
    OK then, Does any think that a TKD Guy could win against a Karate guy, if they both had the same training, Very simular martial arts but TKD is a sport and so they dont use any deadly strikes, where the Karate guy would be looking at hitting vital points

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Oh man... I needed that today...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    actually, that's not what I'd say. I'd say that the back kick is like the third most common kick you see in muay thai. it's quite prevalent. Spinning.... maybe not as prevalent, but definitely there.
    Well, maybe, but only if you accept the order like this

1. round kick
    2. front kick
    3. back kick

but after "1" you got
    1a low round kick
    1b front leg round kick
    1c bent leg round kick
    1d bent leg front leg round kick
    1e neck round kick
    1f inside round kick
    until
    1z final variation of round kick humanly possible...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

yea dude. you gotta fight to learn how to fight. you know like every other skill in life you hafta practice the skill to do it well.

its like trying to learn how to cook by watching the cooking channel and then wondering why everyone gets the ****s everytime they eat at your place, or learning how to fix your car by watchin pimp my ride and wondering why u almost dropped the engine on yourself.

it isn't quite the same if you dont experience things urself. alot of martial artists still can't figure that out tho.... if they did we wouldn't be having so many style debates i dont think. everyones a kickboxer in the end

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9
    put twin "B" in a KF school that trains meditation, chi cultivation, no touch knockouts, and chi blasts and participates and competes in point competition.
    your kidding right
    this post shows everybody your obvious misconceptions about Chinese martial arts, what you think we all can fly too right
    why dont you do some actual research

ZQ,

He was talking about the stereotype mckwoon. He didn't mean all kung fu schools in general. I hope.

If a guy who fights with Muay Thai techniques 99% of the time lands a technique from TKD or something, that doesn't mean he's a TKDist and it doesn't mean TKD is the ultimate art.

If he does it successfully REPEATEDLY, then you can say that that is a good technique he took from TKD.

If he wins repeatedly PRIMARILY with TKD techniques, then you can say TKD is effective.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Oh. Irony.

YKW what you wear has no bearing on what you can do.

You often focus too much on style and not enough on substance.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

spinning techniques pay extra in thailand, so you bet your hiney they're in there.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Style, the method of training, and your natural ability all matter. Boxing makes you proficient at punching probably faster than any other art, and they spar full contact, which is closer to a real fight. However, if you are looking for kicking or grappling, you need to look elsewhere. Tae kwon do has the largest variety of kicks in probably all of the martial arts, but if you want to spend more time on punching or grappling, you have to look elsewhrere. Many people study tai chi just for its health benfits. While tae kwon do is more limited than most other arts, there are some tough tae kwon do fighters out there. I have heard that some tae kwon do people have soundly defeated muay thai and kyokushinkai fighters, and iI don't doubt it.
    I think the Filipino and Indonesian arts are the best for learning knife and stick defenses, although some people claim that Kalaripayattu are just as good. Many karate schools have you stop sparring after you or your opponent gets one good hit in, then have you move away from each other and start sparring again. That is definitely not a good habit to get into if you are serious about learning self-defense. BJj is an awesome ground grappling art, but is also lacking in other areas.