Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional Martial Arts will NEVER Die

There will always be those that want all martial arts watered down to render them ineffective. Usually as part of a self fulfilling prophesy.

Talking

I was under the impression that the term "Wushu" meant war art, or something to that effect, and was the chinese word for chinese martial arts. Kung Fu i believed meant something similar to "Done Well" Anyways, that is what i meant by Traditional Wushu.

Consider this. It is called a martial art because it is both martial skills and an art form. As long as people remember this, it will never die. It doesnt necesarily have to do with being effective in tournaments, or in sparring, but perfecting an art form as well as your martial ability. Also remember, that MMA have to learn there mixed martial arts from somewhere...they may mix certain styles or forms, but they still must learn it somewhere. I hope that somebody, somewhere, is cataloging the styles and forms in there original state if only so that they are preserved. Of course Traditional Martial Arts must change eventually, as do all things, language includeded. I know that the chinese language today is much diffrent than the chinese spoken by people 500 years ago. This happends with all things.

As for the Shaolin temple...i dont know what to say. I used to dream about the shaolin warrior monks, and the famed shaolin kungfu, and claimed it was the best in the world. But after reading about it, and researching it, and the articles in Kungfu Magazine, i have become severely dismayed. The severe commercialization that has occurred at the temple is quite disillusioning. The focus on making money, and the modernization, the changes to shaolin temple. I always thought of shaolin temple to be a place for martial artists to go and learn, teach, and share martial arts. Now it seems like a chinese tourist attraction. Anyways...i do consider latin a dead language...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM

So far I haven't been all that impressed with the grappling skills of the guys I have played with. But I have only found two people to play Shuai Jiao with here in China. One of them didn't know breakfalls and the other one thought that a one foot height difference was an unsurmountable advantage.
    You just proved my point. If you had been in China in the 1920's through 40's you would have met a lot of masters and students who were very skilled in grappling. I know because they're the 60 to 70 something year old buggers I have trained with in my day who scared the crap out of me...

In Shanghai and Beijing in those days, there are several well documented cases of both Japanese Judoka and Russian wrestlers getting trounced by TCMA men...

These days, the Shuai Chiao coming out of the mainland is pathetic
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

In todays world, I believe it's time for CMA to stop riding the tradtion path and become open minded to make their art more refined.
    I tottally disagree. If you want to have something that is tottally street efficient then do one of these modern self defence classes that is set up purely with applied fighting in mind. CMA isnt just about fighting, I personally feel that that is the base level of things that I want out of my training. Tradition, the feeling of belonging, health and spiritual progression is more what I use my kung fu for.

Craig

Oh nevermind grappling...

...what about fighting from chariot? That's real traditional CMA - swinging your ge from a horse-drawn chariot, mowing down infantry. That's what I miss. Today, most CMA people don't even know what a ge is anymore. Ahhh, kids today...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene

The problem is that watered down "kickboxing" chariot fighting that people are doing... if they were doing real chariot fighting, it would look like what we do in MY SCHOOL!

I like my gihk, and I keep it close to me on cold nights.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

it's nice that in the west ppl always have this nice cozy Mr. Miyagi/Kwai Chang Caine philosophy regarding the chinese martial arts
    Yea why not.....Mr Miyagi did the KARATE CHOP!!!!

Nah but seriously, its almost pointless me saying why I do martial arts, in the end it doesn't matter for what reason you do it, its just the point of 'doing it' that counts.

Theres too many mixed views about whats right and wrong, and how to train, and why to train.....in the end **** it and just do your thing.

craig

Traditional Martial arts perfect for many people

The traditional martial arts have lasted, in some cases, hundreds of years.
    What lasts hundreds of years that is not useful?

I think many of the traditional arts have a science behind them that creates effecient and powerful fighters.

All these arts, where they fight in a ring with rules, are fine, but to think they are the answer for everybody's needs is not correct.

Most of these arts are external and require the practitioner to be an athlete. What about people in their 40's 50's and 60's who aren't athletes.

Should they just settle down and get killed when attacked? Many traditional arts are perfect for these people. They do not have to be athletes, but, they can still defend themselves effectively with the technologies of the traditional martial arts.