Thread: What kind of career can you make of TCM?

What kind of career can you make of TCM?

Another question you guys. Can you turn your knowledge of TCM into a career? What kind of living would you make? Or is it more of a supplement to another career, or hobby, or something like that.

You can take a state board exam for acupuncture and massage therapy. My friend has her own practice. She does well with it. It is a form of sports medicine. You can also obtain a liscense to sell and distribute medicinal herbs like a health food store. You would be surprised the amount of people who rely on that form of medicine. Western medicine is finally beginning to accept TCM. Although doctors in hospitals dont know the Chinese name for the points or the understanding of the control of chi. They only know where to stick the needle and what it is good for.

While sports medicine is one aspect of TCM, as a system it is vastly more than just that. In fact, practicioners in California enjoy primary care physician status and are capable of treating a myriad of disorders, while also knowing when to refer the patient for western medical care. In order to gain licensure, (this depends on the state) you must either attend TCM school or work under a licensed practicioner (with at least 10 yrs experience) for a total of about 4000 hours. Then there are the exams - since the exams are detailed and academic, taking at least a few classes in preparation is advised. You'll have to know about 400 herbs, 100+ formulas, Chinese diagnosis, point location and indications, western anat/physiology, and of course, aseptic techniqe to reduce the chances of infection. At my school, we also must learn organic chem, medical terminology, pathophysiology and several other 'allopathic' medical classes. We also have the option to work side by side with MD interns at Stanford university. So, as you can see, much goes into the TCM practice and its focus can be on treating sports injuries, pediatrics, cancer, addictions, mental disorders, etc, etc.... it's ultimately up to the practicioner to make it happen.

peace

herb ox

Attn: Herb Ox

I live up in Redding CA. Do you know of any TCM Schools in Chico or Sacramento? I know that there is a TCM School in San Francisco. I am wondering if becoming a Chinese Doctor would be a good career move from being a RN?
    -------------------------I am fortunate to have a teacher to correct my foolish ways......Qiman

Qi-Mon,

I don't know of any schools up where you are at, but it's not the only way to get your licensure. Combining your RN with LAc could really be a powerhouse combo punch (see, even in the TCM forum we still like to get things-a-swingin'!) that would likely ensure gainful employement for years to come... In CA, there are a few political issues at hand, especially insurance coverage and primary care practicioner status. But hey, there are always challenges in life, right?

perhaps find yourself a TCM practicioner in your area who has over 10 years experience and do an apprenticeship. See this link for specifics.

Good luck and keep us posted.

herb ox