Thread: Need Help...TCM for neck pain/arm numbness

Need Help...TCM for neck pain/arm numbness

This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while as, to be honest, these forums can be not a little intimidating. But...I need some help and I'm asking those in the know if there are any remedies within TCM. I have developed numbness in my right arm, some neck pain. It is due to disc disease (not a heart condition).

I have been massaging and applying pressure on GB 20. Can anyone suggest any alternative points that might stimulate to promote healing in the case of arm numbness and/or neck pain ? (I have some shihatsu charts from my Jujutsu days - the points seem to be numbered the same - I think).

Does anyone know of any excercises from Qigong that might be helpful ?

BTW, I'm 38 years old, have had some spine surgery, and have been doing Wing Chun. I'm looking at TCM and prayer as surgery and narcotics are not an option.

Thanks In Advance.
    "Seven Times Down Eight Times Up !" Soke Shogo Kuniba

Hi Mark,

I do not have TCM advice for you per se. However I am using stones externally and classify them according to 5 elements and functions. I can tell you I had success recently with using the following stones externally for sciatica nerve pain. I think this formula is okay for excess and stagnation, but if the numbness is more like due to blood deficiency then you need a different approach.:

Tourminalated Clear Quartz to draw down energetic excess
    Malachite to clear heat and reduce inflamation
    Bloodstone to move qi and blood stagnation to reduce inflamation
    Picture jasper
    Petrified wood

The last two stones are earth colored and I believe strengthen muscle/Earth element.
    Details on this are here:
    http://chinesetherapeutics.org/phoru...p?f=11&i=8&t=8

Neck pain / arm numbness

Hi Mark,
    Numbness occurs due to the innervation being impeded from the possibly old spinal injury to the neck.

Do you know what part of the arm is affected by the numbness.... this will give a clearer picture of which dermatomes are affected and ultimately which nerve roots are being impeded in the cervical spine.

Generally pressing/massaging GB20/21 will help relax and release tension from the neck & shoulders. U may also want to press/grasp CO(LI)4 (between the thumb and index finger) and CO(LI)14 just the the anterior fibre of the deltoid and bicep muscle.

Moxibustion is also very good for invigorating the qi and blood flow within the channels. U can buy a moxa stick in any chinese herbal shop, where u can get ur partner to run the moxa stick over the area of numbness (about 100mm above the skin) just enough so that u can feel the heat and then let ur partner know when it gets too hot for you.

This will help in promoting the qi and blood circulation to the local area.

Ultimately I would suggest that go and see an experienced acupuncturist/ tui na / shiatsu practitioner who would be able to help u even more.

If you do go to see an acupuncturist, make sure that you take any copies of the medical reports, scans or x-rays so that the acupuncturist can make a more informed treatment plan for you.
    Dave Stevens

Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave,

The numbness is between the LI14 point and the shoulder joint (anterior part of arm only), so thanks for the advice on the LI14 point. I could find all the points you mentioned on my old shiatsu chart - except for GB21. I know GB20, where is GB21?

As for acupuncture, I'm calling my insurance company to see if they will pay for it (accupunturist are licensed in my home state of Florida). 'Gonna get MRIs and X-Rays done before I go.

I started doing some Qigong at 6:00AM. It seems to go well with the first Wing Chun form, which looks more like Qigong than Kung Fu. Maybe there was a another reason I took up Wing Chun : )

Thanks VG !

Thanks VG ! What an incredible link and resource ! I came to the right place to ask these questions !

Jian Jing - GB21

GB21 is midway between DU14 and Acromian Process on the upper fibres of the Trapezious muscle. It's the master point for the shoulder.

U might want to look at CO (LI) 15 & 16. The dermatome that is affected is C3/4 in the cervical spine, hence the numbness around the shoulder and anterior fibres of the Deltoid between LI14 / 15.

All the best.
    Dave Stevens

If the pain/numbness is due to disk compression/degeneration in the cervical area, you may wish to consider the following:
    - have a good massage therapist / chirporactor do some traction on your neck to extend the cervicals a bit and to ease the pressure (if you do see them, make sure you bring your MRI and/or other medical records for them to see)
    - I have had experience using Master Tung's acpuuncture points (not your standard ones) in the treatment of cervical-related problems like yours. Here is a link to info on his system http://www.worldtaa.org/index2.html. There is a book out there called Tung's Acupuncture Points.... you will find in there a section on treating cervical disc injuries along with where the points are. Especially look up the points Ling Gu and Dai Ba.... they are going to be useful. The points for the treatment can be done with acupuressure as well as acupuncture.

But definitely, if you can, go get treatment from a certified acupuncturist, especially one that specializes in nuromuscularskeletal injuries. That would be very beneficial to you.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

I just got over this same problem. The nerve was compressed in my shoulder and it started with what I thought was carpal tunnel. My fingers started going numb and it progressed into my arm and neck. It took two months of PT and steroids and rest. My bjj instructor weighs about 230 and it occured when I was rolling with him. There was no pain and it didn't start untill two days later.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I would read the posts under “Why are my injuries always on the right side of my body”….but to add what you will find there my part of my PT is doing modified McKenzie exercises. However, I would check with your doctor to see if these are ok for your specific condition.