Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Sanjan Question ?

Question A Sanjan Question ?

There are many Sanjan, it seems that a version of Sanjan (Sanchin) exists across all the Oriental martial arts.

I love Sanjan (Sanchin), and over the centuries I have been training I have come asross Two from the Goju ryu one streight line and one with turning. One from the Uechi ryu, one from the Fujiban Baihe.

The basic principles are the same, body movement, breathing, and body tension.

However the interesting thing about Sanjan (Sanchin) is the diffrent emphasis on the stance, speed and breathing in each school.

As a student I was led to belive that Sanjan should be very slow, with forced breathing, in a very tight stance, with clenched fist. Any turning was performed by crossing the legs.

This is similar to the Goju system.

However my favorite Sanjan (Sanchin), is the Luechi ryu, this is performed at three speeds and at diffrent body tensions, with open hands. and and turning is performed while the rear leg is kept in place.

At present I am learning the Southern Chinese Fujiban Baihe version. Which I feel may be more original, and from where the above came from?

The Luechi ryu Sanjan (Sanchin) is very similar, but the White crane version has no turns, but is performed with open hands. However I have since then been learning another White Crane dance which is an extension to Sanjan this has turns, and incorperates some clenched fist techniques.

I find this subject very interesting and would very much like to hear from you guys.

The questions are :-

'Do you practice a version of Sanjan ?

'What are your stance characteristics ?

'At what speeds do you practice ?'

'How do you breath when performing Sanjan ?

Regards
    When the Crane Flaps its Wings it Creates a tornado

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I learned several versions; the first was sanchin kata, I learned this in Kyokushin Karate. Very hard, exagerrated breathing. The next version was Okinawan Goju-Ryu, not nearly as "vocal" with the breath, more internal,taught packing the breath,sipping the air, you really couldn't hear the breathing.Very different. I then learned some version of Sam Jien Kuen-still unsure of its origin. Similar to the Goju version, but with open hands. Southern Praying Mantis' version of Sam Bo Gin, has the packing breath,sipping the air, very similar to the Okinawan version, but more detailed, more involved, more packing, holding,with small releases.
    I am interested in learning Fujien Bai He and possibly Ngo Cho versions, so I can further understand this set. It has taught me so much, I can definately see why in Okinawa, they say,"Three years Sanchin"

sanchin

HI MUFTY,

I practice "Sanchin" from the NGOR CHOR version
    from what I understand ,our version is nucleus of NGOR CHOR system.
    Sanchin contains elements of WHITE CRANE,MONKEY, LOHAN, TAI CHOR
    (Emperors fists).
    I'm not a leading authority ,but I was shown a TAI CHOR form from General Song.
    The style(Tai Chor) is also known as SQUARE BOXING ,because of the precision of angles
    of body and hands.the form(Sanchin) also contains the four principles which
    appears as a root of southern boxing :float ,sink,swallow and spit.
    that root appears in Praying Mantis first form ,which is not to disimiliar from
    "Sanchin"......................................... ........................!

love and regards
    NORMSKI.............................

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    I am interested in learning Fujien Bai He and possibly Ngo Cho versions, so I can further understand this set. It has taught me so much, I can definately see why in Okinawa, they say,"Three years Sanchin"
    Yep Sanchin (Sanjan) is a very important form/dance, and seems to be the connecting tissue of the Oriental martial arts.

What I find interesting and would like to know is the diffrent ways of stepping in your sanjan. Also where is the focus of power derived in your Sanjan?

In the Okinawan Sanchin kata the power is derived from tanden breathing, and the toes are pointed inwards to really tighten into the floor. The Goju sanchin stepping is very half moon, and the turns are performed by crossing the legs, however the other Okinawan Sanchin from Uechi ryu, has similar stepping, but the turns are performed without crossing the legs. Also the most important aspect and diffrence between these two schools, is that the Uechi ryu forms are all based upon the Sanchin stance, yet the Gojuryu forms also include the more familiar karate stances. This I find interesting as Sanjan stance within the Chinese Fujibaihe is generally the prefered stance.

How do you step and turn.

If you log onto www.nikawakai.co.uk and follow the link to Martin Watts Bai He Chuan there is some very good info on Baihe sanjan.

Quote Originally Posted by Normski
    The style(Tai Chor) is also known as SQUARE BOXING ,because of the precision of angles of body and hands.the form(Sanchin) also contains the four principles which appears as a root of southern boxing :float ,sink,swallow and spit.that root appears in Praying Mantis first form ,which is not to disimiliar from "Sanchin"
    Hey thanks. You know we all use these words to describe what we do, float - sink - spit - swallow, we need to communicate, on a more descriptive level. As a lot of what we do is lost in the translations.

I have found the Breathing cycle within all the Sanjan similar, in through the nose and out through the mouth, the subtle diffrences are internal, the focus of tension within the body seems to be the important aspect when performing sanjan.

In the Karate Sanchin we tend to really put a lot of tension into our bodys, which is derived from a strong abdonial breathing, and the the breathing seems to very hard. We also do a form called 'tensho' the breathing cycle is the same but the breath power is softer, this is more like the Baihe sanjn.

Also the feet positions are very diffrent, but the overall look of the body is almost identical.

The power within the Baihe sanjan is more within the centre of the chest, and the techniques although strong are more fluid.

Also the stepping varies as I mentioned above.

I would very much like to here a more descriptive posting of your way of doing these movements and breathing methods.

regards

Mufty

sanchin

HI MUFTY,
    Let me give you ,from what I been told. It is only a brief desciption
    of the four principles.
    As I said I'm not a leading authority,

TUN =SWALLOW- To absorb the incoming force of your opponent
    TOU =SPIT - To release concentrated energy on your opponent
    FAU =FLOAT- To unbalance your opponents energy and centre of gravity
    CHAM= SINK - To use techniques to "bring down" your opponents techinques

These principles are used in SANCHIN ,there are other contain within the form
    including Iron Shirt

My standard is only basic,and there are others who's standard is higher
    and also depth of knowledge...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    enough "yapping" ...............

regards NORMSKI........................................... .................

FCTT also describes body connection and movement to develop faht-ging. Float is rising energy, and the body extends and is behind the strike as well. Sinking is dropping the weight/structure,swallowing is concaving the body, and drawing inwards,spitting is release,expansion. These all come together to develop a coiling,loading, and releasing of energy.
    Again, I am only a beginner in CMA, so I am only scratching the surface. Perhaps in a decade or more I can give a better understanding, but for now, this is my view.

Hi Normski

That were a good answer in plain langauge.

Hey TenTigers that were pretty in depth for a beginner

Still :- What I find interesting is the breathing cycles, and focus of body tension when performing your 'sanjan', and what stepping methods do you all use?

I look forward to hearing from you all again

kind regards

Mufty

In the version I practice, I step across with the front foot to turn. The footwork is circle stepping, ball of the foot sliding and then root.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    In the version I practice, I step across with the front foot to turn. The footwork is circle stepping, ball of the foot sliding and then root.
    This stepping and turning is similar to the Uechi ryu version, but the
    Fujiban Bahi he, has crane stepping which is slightly higher stepping. The circular stepping seems to be almost standard in the Okinawan Sanchin kata.

I notice your an oldy' like me and that you will not compromise for comercial reasons , me to I lopve the traditional arts and the work required to obtain the skill, and health benifits.

Is Tentigers the name of your association? have you a web site? please post the address.

our web site :- www.nikawakai.co.uk

regards

Mufty

Ten Tigers Kung-Fu Academy is the name of my school(s) but my website is down at the moment. We've been open for over 20 yrs in NY

Heya, i'm the same style as Normski.

Our stepping, and the form itself is linear in fashion. I dont know if that's what you wanted to know, because you seem to keep asking about the stepping.

Everything is fairly relaxed, but there is tensioning is in the back.

EDIT: But I'm also a relative beginner.

I think the only way to describe the breathing is that we do it in accoradance with the floating swallow sink and spitting.
    Last edited by Innocence; 09-30-2005 at 09:12 AM. Reason: addition.

HI EVERYONE,
    The stepping in SANCHIN is also a sweep with the leading leg.
    Most of the weight is on the back leg ,to allow the front leg to: block kicks.sweep
    and obviously kick at speed.
    If your in a position ,where your leading leg ,circle side steps his legs
    (I hope I have described this O. K) so your leg is behind his..
    Release a open sanchin palm at lightening speed to his chest, you will send your opponent
    flying...........................!!!!!

yours NORMSKI..................

Quote Originally Posted by Normski
    HI EVERYONE,
    The stepping in SANCHIN is also a sweep with the leading leg.
    Most of the weight is on the back leg ,to allow the front leg to: block kicks.sweep
    and obviously kick at speed.
    If your in a position ,where your leading leg ,circle side steps his legs
    (I hope I have described this O. K) so your leg is behind his..
    Release a open sanchin palm at lightening speed to his chest, you will send your opponent
    flying...........................!!!!!

yours NORMSKI..................
    Thanks NORMSKI, thats the way we apply the stepping, here at Ni Kawa Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocence
    Everything is fairly relaxed, but there is tensioning is in the back...................
    This is similar to the Fujibihe Sanjan method, Also the abdominals are tensed. Infact When I was learning Sanchin the back although strong was sort'a rounded, but not to the extent of being weak, but enough to strengthen the muscles, in the back and sides.

We test our back strength and positioning, by having our partner push down and somtimes if the student is experianced we hang from their shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Tigers
    Ten Tigers Kung-Fu Academy is the name of my school(s) but my website is down at the moment. We've been open for over 20 yrs in NY
    I look forward to seeing your site 'ten tigres' when its restored.

When we practice Sanjan/Sanchin we are physically tested, through our partner hitting designated points on our body. Do you guy's get tested?

I used to demonstrate Sanchin and have my students break lengths of wood across my upper arms, and my forarms, and shins, have any of you seen this lately or done somthing like this recently ?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
    Mufty

So it seems that not many of you practice Sanjan in one way or another ?

This I feel is a bit strange.

Come on guys lets hear from you.

Regards

HI MUFTY,

One of the ways SANCHIN ,is expressed is through a "Catcher"
    SANCHIN becomes a two man form .
    The" Catcher 's job is to test your Sanchin by feeding opposing movements and
    testing your balance using four principles.
    After a while the Catcher ,develops his own skills and can literally sense where
    his opponents energy is being directed,and counter those movements.
    In NGOR CHOR ,other forms are caught and have opposing movements ,such
    as, "LIP SUP KUN" (Twenty punches), "TIEO CHIET"

Regards NORMSKI