Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Mantis vs Southern Mantis

Hybrid View

My mate Steve's flat. I sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor.

Northern Mantis vs Southern Mantis

Right, I already know the answer but just checkin to see if you do.

Who would win- Northern Mantis or Southern Mantis?

I will only accept answers if they have a good reason.

Deep breath, all together now: THE BEST ONE ON THE DAY! This is so lame, both are totally valid systems, this is just a pointless troll (a bit like you).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I got a better one!
    Between Batman and Spiderman, who would win?

As Batman has no special powers per se, I'd have to go with Mr Parker
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash
    As Batman has no special powers per se, I'd have to go with Mr Parker
    You accuse me of trolling!!! Unbelievable. I am trying to create an interesting debate. I wish everyone would stop being so racist against me.

It is quite sad to see that perhaps the more seasoned members of the forum treat the newer ones with lack of respect and do not respect someone's post. In my opinion the true way of the Mantis is through the heart of the "Zoul" and the spirituality of Wei Lang Ban's tiger fist.

"The people in the Navy look on motherhood as being compatible with being a woman. This is the true way to achieve a spirituality beyond the normality of everyday life."

8-Step praying mantis versus Bamboo Forest Temple

That would be cool!
    Black Mantis

Thank you for taking this debate seriously. I would say that Southern Mantis is more spiritual and Northern Mantis is more philisophical and chi-orientated.

I Just Want To Know What The Difference Is Between The Two Styles. To See It In Action Would Be The Coolest Thing Ever

Smile When Northern and Southern Tanglang Cross hands...

Well, here's what I could imagine:

The SPM guy (whatever styles) is going to assume a ready stance.

1) Feet about shoulder width, toes inward and gripping the floor, and relatively high and relaxed yet all slacks in the body structure tightened.

2) Hands up in some kind of a guard (bai Jong Sau) most likely right pheonix eye punch and left hand a palm.

3) Elbows down and closing access to the center line.

4) Head leveled to lower (chin tugged). Chest hollow, back rounded, and Dan Tien is firm.

This would also have the hip a little more squarely facing the opponent. The advantage is the it will have all weapons available to him.

The NPM guy (say a TJPMer) is going to be mobile more or less in a Bi Shi (closing posture). He will be bringing in the Monkey disposition and footwork for searching an opening in the ready stance of the opponent.

Assuming there is not eye poking and groin shorts, here's what will happen.

Strategy for the SPM guy:

It is more than likely the SPM will wait for the other guy to initiate.

1) Stop Kick to the knee of the opponent and pheonix eye punch (PEP) to an openning of the opponent preferrably a weak point (ie throat)

2) Toe trap and PEP in rapid succession. Follow in if opp. retreats in time. Maintain straight line attacks.

3) If opp attemps to block punch while arm stretched out; clam down hard with elbows as breaks or with grinding motion to trap temporary. Or some types of hooking punch or down angled punch as "leaking" hand.

4) Keep opp in front and at bay. Don't want to give any access to the side or back. Stomp and stop kicks to distroy the opp's lower line attacks.

5) End fight as soon as possible. Use angle entry avoid getting hit as much as possible but will absorb punishment if need be (points deducted in that case).

6) use sallow, spit, surface, and sink to unbalance the opp in close range and to add more omph to the strikes.

Strategy for the NPM guy:

It is more than likely that the NPM guy will initiate some form of attack (ie a back hand slap.) and attempt a disciplined plan of offense.

1) will use the 12 key words with 5 types of Shou Fa (ie Gou Lou Cai, Fanche Lulu, Mo Pan Shou, etc..) for entry and take whatever that is available. Discipline takes over after the initial clash.

2) close gap as quickly as possible. Sticking and leaning as soon as an opening is availble. Using Shuai (throwing) and Na (grappling) to takedown.

3) Dodging, Deceiving, leaping and shifting to get to the side and/or back of opp.

4) In close range elbow hard and knee hard.

5) Takedown and establish control. Ground fighting if necessary.

BTW, that's only my perspective and experience as NPM guy (CCK TCPM). Others may drastically different. I would take as long as it needs to finish the fight. My motto is "make haste without being hasty", "using slow to yield to the fast" and "Don't fight fire with fire, be like water...".

The rest of course is depended upon the contestants and it's highly speculative until proven with actual match.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Nice post, Mantis108.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108
    Well, here's what I could imagine:

The SPM guy (whatever styles) is going to assume a ready stance.

1) Feet about shoulder width, toes inward and gripping the floor, and relatively high and relaxed yet all slacks in the body structure tightened.

2) Hands up in some kind of a guard (bai Jong Sau) most likely right pheonix eye punch and left hand a palm.

3) Elbows down and closing access to the center line.

4) Head leveled to lower (chin tugged). Chest hollow, back rounded, and Dan Tien is firm.

This would also have the hip a little more squarely facing the opponent. The advantage is the it will have all weapons available to him.

The NPM guy (say a TJPMer) is going to be mobile more or less in a Bi Shi (closing posture). He will be bringing in the Monkey disposition and footwork for searching an opening in the ready stance of the opponent.

Assuming there is not eye poking and groin shorts, here's what will happen.

Strategy for the SPM guy:

It is more than likely the SPM will wait for the other guy to initiate.

1) Stop Kick to the knee of the opponent and pheonix eye punch (PEP) to an openning of the opponent preferrably a weak point (ie throat)

2) Toe trap and PEP in rapid succession. Follow in if opp. retreats in time. Maintain straight line attacks.

3) If opp attemps to block punch while arm stretched out; clam down hard with elbows as breaks or with grinding motion to trap temporary. Or some types of hooking punch or down angled punch as "leaking" hand.

4) Keep opp in front and at bay. Don't want to give any access to the side or back. Stomp and stop kicks to distroy the opp's lower line attacks.

5) End fight as soon as possible. Use angle entry avoid getting hit as much as possible but will absorb punishment if need be (points deducted in that case).

6) use sallow, spit, surface, and sink to unbalance the opp in close range and to add more omph to the strikes.

Strategy for the NPM guy:

It is more than likely that the NPM guy will initiate some form of attack (ie a back hand slap.) and attempt a disciplined plan of offense.

1) will use the 12 key words with 5 types of Shou Fa (ie Gou Lou Cai, Fanche Lulu, Mo Pan Shou, etc..) for entry and take whatever that is available. Discipline takes over after the initial clash.

2) close gap as quickly as possible. Sticking and leaning as soon as an opening is availble. Using Shuai (throwing) and Na (grappling) to takedown.

3) Dodging, Deceiving, leaping and shifting to get to the side and/or back of opp.

4) In close range elbow hard and knee hard.

5) Takedown and establish control. Ground fighting if necessary.

BTW, that's only my perspective and experience as NPM guy (CCK TCPM). Others may drastically different. I would take as long as it needs to finish the fight. My motto is "make haste without being hasty", "using slow to yield to the fast" and "Don't fight fire with fire, be like water...".

The rest of course is depended upon the contestants and it's highly speculative until proven with actual match.

Mantis108
    "Mantis108" (if that is your real name) you clearly have too much time on your hands - instead try to practice the tiger spiritual. I'm sure I can help you out with this famous quote by me: "If you are a tiger, then you are no one's lesser. If you are a dragon, then you are no one's lesser. If you are an idiot, then you are everyone's lesser. If you are a tiger, then you are someone's lesser. The true tiger spiritual achieved through not just wisdom, but acknowledgement of your dark and light sides."

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Brookman
    "Mantis108" (if that is your real name) you clearly have too much time on your hands - instead try to practice the tiger spiritual. I'm sure I can help you out with this famous quote by me: "If you are a tiger, then you are no one's lesser. If you are a dragon, then you are no one's lesser. If you are an idiot, then you are everyone's lesser. If you are a tiger, then you are someone's lesser. The true tiger spiritual achieved through not just wisdom, but acknowledgement of your dark and light sides."
    What

Excellent post from Mantis108
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Agreed

...Good Effort Mantis108
    No "System" can out perform the limitations of your mind...

Creed

1. Do not boast of ability or wealth. Do not act arrogantly. Practice humility.
    2. The highly educated must not underestimate others.
    3. Speak in a low voice with respect to seniors and elders.
    4. Be polite and chivalrous in front of ladies. Do not use off color language.
    5. No one sided talk in favor of wealth or money.
    6. Do not blame yourself in poor living.
    7. Speak the necessary words and keep from excess with silence.
    8. Patience is the antidote for an angry tongue.
    9. Do not exaggerate or speak untrue.
    10. Do not boast of yourself, your school, or your teachers.
    11. Do not criticize others, especially other schools, teachers or students.
    12. Do not indulge in too much imagination. Reach for the stars, keeping your feet on the ground.
    13. Do not be stubborn to your point of view.
    14. Always be wholesome, clean and true speaking from the heart.