Thread: Wei Xiao Tang & Liu Yun Qiao

Wei Xiao Tang & Liu Yun Qiao

Did these two masters know each other? They must have both been in Taiwan at the same time. Were they friends, rivals or strangers? Does anybody know?

Thank you!

S
    Black Mantis

hei tanglang

I for one am not ignoring you, i just havent been on this earth long enough to definitively answer this question. My older kung fu brother RAF might kNow and im sure if he does not he can find out from the Master.

Be patient you will get the answer if anyone alive knows. Also you might direct this to Grandmaster Su Yu Chang or his disciples
    im sure they would be glad to help a fellow martial artist.

here is a wealth of resources (Master Su's site)
    http://www.pachitanglang.com/

Never heard anything about the relationship between Wei Xiao Tang and Liu Yun Qiao.

Not sure about Su Yu Zhang's relationship with Wei Xiao Tang but a number of Wu Tan martial artists were close to at least one of Wei Xiao Tang's disciple.

Sorry.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

> Did these two masters know each other? They must have both been in Taiwan
    > at the same time. Were they friends, rivals or strangers? Does anybody know?
    In Taiwan, everyone knew everyone. Nobody is really a rival to one another. Chinese do not work that way. They just know or heard about each other. Taiwan is a small irland and CMA society is very small.

Cheers,

On second thoughts, now I could be wrong, but int he 1980s I got a glimpse at the Wu Tnn Wushu magazine and I thought there miight have been a story on Wei Xiao Tang.

I have never heard anything whatsoever bad about Wei Xiao Tang and when I went to Tony Yang for Taiji in 1988, he started me in 7 hand, 7 hand fight, Li Pi, da fen sha and xiao fen sha before I even got a real start in taiji. I have also seeen Master Yang's book showing all the disciples of Wei Xiao Tang---

Master Yang was very close to Liu and Tony sure liked to teach a lot of 8 step mantis to early students---I don't think there was any kind of bad blood.

Who can say? I can just tell you now that I am glad I learned 8 step mantis regardles of where or how it came to me.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

> Master Yang was very close to Liu and Tony sure liked to teach a lot of 8 step
    > mantis to early students---I don't think there was any kind of bad blood.

> Who can say? I can just tell you now that I am glad I learned 8 step mantis
    > regardles of where or how it came to me.

From what I know, Most if not all of the PM in Wu Tan were from Su Yu Chang. Su himself did not really a disciple of any PM masters. He simply learned from whoever he can find. I knew he has learned PM forms from Zhang De-Kui, Wei Xiao-Tang, Gao Dao Sheng and maybe Lee Qun-San. 7* and 8 Bu have the most of the same forms like Fen Che, Hu Yen, Zhai Yiao, Ben Bu and Lan Jie. I believe the difference in most of the PMs are simply different lineage.

Cheers,

I asked Tony Yang straight up as to what the relationship was between Wei Xiao Tang and Liu Yun Qiao---he said, " they knew each other and it was a good relationship".

Quote Originally Posted by RAF
    I asked Tony Yang straight up as to what the relationship was between Wei Xiao Tang and Liu Yun Qiao---he said, " they knew each other and it was a good relationship".
    Ask 'youknowwho' to re-tell the story of when Wei checked his form in the park.

I'm guessing there may have been some animosity over students who left to study with Liu.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Count, I think you'll be getting me into trouble---if in 18 years he hasn't told me, it must have been a real ringer!

I know the story when Su "climbed all over Tony" and left his mark on his chest---some of my older kungfu brothers witnessed the video in the 1980s before I arrived and it hasn't been shown since.

If its not too bad, why don't you post what happened? I am curious as hell, now!

I'm guessing there may have been some animosity over students who left to study with Liu

I could also give you a good guess but no one has really every said anything about it.

PS. We told Andy Kuntz to post Jason's Xing Yi Seminar on the website---Andy lives in Pittsburgh and comes up once every two weeks or so----Andy Lianto told him and he said he would do it.
    Last edited by RAF; 10-29-2005 at 05:27 PM.

'youknowwho' is not who you knew for 18 years. I'm refering to JW who is already a member here and can tell it himself if he wants too. It's a funny story though.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Well, that's a relief. Aftern 18 years I thought I had heard just about everything about him.

I didn't realize JW was involved in 8 Step praying mantis. I hope he tells the tale.