Thread: Wutan

Wutan

Liu Yun Qiao's Wutan organisation- is this related to Wudan as in Wudan mountain etc.? If not where does this name come from? Is it just the name of the organisation or does it mean something?

Any info?

S
    Black Mantis

Differnt characters, no relations to Wudang Shan or the Wutang Clan.

Wutan: The altar or place upon which the martial arts are placed.

http://www.wutan.org/

In 1971, Grandmaster Yun-Chiao Liu (R‰–òj5) founded Wu Tan in Taiwan. The characters for "Wu (kf)" and "Tan (XÇ)" mean martial arts and place, respectively.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Great thanks for explaining that to me-I had been rather confused for sometime!!

Talking of Wutan and Liu Yun Qiao, do you know anything about his sword-fight with a Japanese swordsman? I think his name was Oda. Can you help at all?

Many thanks!!

S
    Black Mantis

Not sure

I thought that was great grandmaster Li Shu Wen? but i will leave that up to the guys who Knew GM Liu.
    There was an awful lot of fighting and killing going on between the years of empire through the emergence of the PEOPLES REPUBLIC
    and i am sure both GM Liu and GGM LI had their similar encounters with Japanese.

No it was not "Magic Spear Li". I've heard the story of the duel with Liu and the Japanese swordsman. But I can't give any historical information except it took place in a public park, and Grandmaster Liu touched him at least five times without being touched once. It also makes sense to me consider the difference in the two methods and strategies of sword styles.

(And considering Gradmasters skils. )
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

James Quo Laoshi had it posted on his websiter before but its not there. The incident took place in Tianjin and it was posted in the paper at that time. The article hung in GM Liu's home.

As a result, a number of older Masters provided Liu with more material. Li Shu Wen died in 1934 and the Japanese invasion took place in 1937. I've never heard of any Li Shu Wen encounters with Japanese practitioners.
    Last edited by RAF; 10-31-2005 at 06:31 AM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Thanks

Unfortunately, my university has not replaced our retired Chinese History Professor due to mismanagment of funds (trees buildings instead of profs.) So i have not as of yet been able to attend any History on that era / theatre.

So thanks for helping me out with that Older Brother.

James